Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E03: Movie Night

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, spanana said:

How do you know she's up in their rehearsal time?  I am no Jenna fan, but I think she's giving Karamo the time and energy but he's also been on the road a lot.  I don't know if they flew anywhere this week, but last week they were flying a lot and Karamo had a fever.  She was also sick.

I just think there is a difference between giving your partner their time and energy and just not being a great teacher of newbies.  I think Jenna tries and is invested in Karamo, but unless she has someone come in with a skill set, she doesn't know how to capitalize on it and take it to the next level.

Also since someone else mentioned it, I do think Jenna/Karamo have chemistry in life.  They seem to love each other in rehearsal footage.  During the dances though Jenna just usually has a smile plastered on her face while she tries to talk Karamo through the dance.  Which don't get me wrong in that all the pros talk their partners through the dance when needed but for some reason it's really obvious when she does it, so I think she's also so busy talking him through the dance that it maybe messes with their on the floor chemistry.

Yeah, I think you can't fault Jenna's work ethic, commitment or dance skills at all. And for all that it was a joke of a season, she produced mostly nice dances for Adam Rippon. It's just that teaching beginners, or teaching people who don't have that much natural talent is a skill set. And that's where she needs to learn IMO. Question is if they give her the time to do so, if the show is around long enough for it etc. DWTS is also usually harder on female pros if they don't deliver what they're expecting, so who knows...

Mark was also a classic overdancer for many seasons. Though, at least when his season with Shawn rolled around, you also started seeing that he's a good teacher and choreographer who can cater to a partner's strengths. You also see what goods someone like Peta brings to the proceedings IMO. She's super patient with Lamar and you do actually see some sort of improvement with him, even though he's at such a low level. Not everyone would know how to deal with such a situation. Or Pasha, who is teaching a women over fifty without great dance experience proper technique and getting her to perform beyond all expectations. But it takes a lot of experience as a dancer, teacher and choreographer to achieve that. And he might not have that experience on DWTS, it's obvious he's gained plenty of it elsewhere.

• Love 4

Len is correct, it is nearly impossible to cover up a hickey. He cracks me up sometimes. 

God help me, but Gleb was looking fine last night. 

Ally is doing a better job in the role Hannah thought she would be playing on the show. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Damn it, we were almost rid of Lamar and then no elimination because of Ray's injury? I mean, I'm also fine with Ray leaving because of that whole pesky murder thing but Lamar needs to go ASAP.

So much this! Glad he's gone. But I'd like Lamar and Sean to go next. 

I like Kate. Never heard of her before the show but she's really enjoyable. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, spanana said:

How do you know she's up in their rehearsal time?  I am no Jenna fan, but I think she's giving Karamo the time and energy but he's also been on the road a lot.  I don't know if they flew anywhere this week, but last week they were flying a lot and Karamo had a fever.  She was also sick.

I cant make this up. Everytime Val would do story on insta of rehearsal, JJ is right there. I never see Emma all up in Sasha's rehearsals. Every since it was set for Val to be sailors partner , JJ is at just about many of their rehearsals which leaves me to believe how the hell can she be giving karamo much needed time.

• Love 1

Anyone else catch Len telling Ally not to touch him after she high-fived him. I found it hilarious and awkward as hell. I can’t say I blame him. I hate when Carrie hugs the contestants. But maybe that’s just me... I’m like people Teflon. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, katha said:

You also see what goods someone like Peta brings to the proceedings IMO. She's super patient with Lamar and you do actually see some sort of improvement with him, even though he's at such a low level.

Which makes me wonder how many rehearsals Maks is attending.

Edited by Toonces464
5 hours ago, katha said:

Kate and Pasha were super. Again. She's a great performer and obviously willing and able to learn pretty substantial dance content. And Pasha seems like magic. 😉 I mean, the teaching is there, the rapport with his celeb is there, he's choreographing fun, entertaining dances that play to his partner's strengths. Bringing in young new pros who learn on the job is cool, but when you have a seasoned dancer, teacher and choreographer who can hit the ground running, that's really impressive as well.

THIS. Pasha has been great straight out of the gate. The man just knows how to teach and choreograph. This is the kind of pro they need to hold on to. I'd be less salty about losing Artem if the male pros were all of his caliber, but... we are still dealing with Gleb. Artem would have had a real shot with someone like Lauren Alaina, who seems willing to go out of her comfort zone (even if she whines about it later) and shows real joy and ability to learn steps.

And then on the other side we have Jenna - she's weighing Karamo down and clearly not choreographing to his strengths. For pete's sake, they're getting the same scores as Sean Spicer. Just goes to show you how talented and committed Lindsey is when you see what she's done with Sean to keep him afloat - and I haven't always been her biggest fan, but I gotta give her props here. Jenna should really take some notes and realize Adam Rippon was a one-in-a-million shot at a win for her.

I would rather have Alison Holker back than continue dealing with Jenna, but now that she's married Val.... I guess we have to endure her while stalwart talents like Sharna get shown the door. 

James and Hannah are my picks for the season. I look forward to watching them dance. I don't know what was up with the massive scores for Ally tonight - she was fine but all the rhumbas had about the same amount of hip action (or lack thereof). I'd have given all three couples the same score. ::shrug::

Why didn't we put Lamar out of his misery? Kel didn't deserve to be bottom 2!

• Love 4

I just don't get Karamo's scoring. Maybe he's such a good performer that I'm blinded to his technique. At any rate, I don't think Jenna's a good teacher, but Karamo is certainly better than Grocery Store Joe.

This was the first week I agreed with the judges. The technique was just sloppy and his posture is horrible. I wouldn't have objected to the scores if they weren't scoring Sean essentially the same though. That's still a sticking point with me.

Karamo has enthusiasm and energy to spare but it's hard to hide sloppy technique on a Jive.

I also wish Erin would stop taking digs at Len with every contestant interview.

Heh - so does Len, judging by the expression on his face when they cut to him after Erin said something about him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I cant make this up. Everytime Val would do story on insta of rehearsal, JJ is right there. I never see Emma all up in Sasha's rehearsals. Every since it was set for Val to be sailors partner , JJ is at just about many of their rehearsals which leaves me to believe how the hell can she be giving karamo much needed time.

I don't follow Val or Sailor so haven't seen much footage from them but I did see he was in Karamo's rehearsal at some point last week dancing with Karamo's mom so I think they both do it on occasion.  I also don't think Jenna has anything to worry about with her hubby.  Not that I think he's above cheating but I don't see Sailor having any interest in her dance partner.  Seriously this is the oldest Val has seemed to me, more so than when he had actual teen partners.  Sailor also IMO comes off very young, which is fine.  She seems sweet if we can stop talking about Christie every week.

• Love 1

I wish someone would tell Hannah to lose the constant Pageant Smile. I expect she'll continue to shine it at us if she ever gets the tango. I also hated her package, a bridal shower? You mean Hannah's all hooked up with "wedding" stuff? And Alan as a "surprise" stripper at the fake shower? Please. He would go broke if that's his stripping act. But kudos to Tom for cluing Alan that there's such a thing as spray tan.

Man, I cannot stand anything about Erin. Thank goodness for the remote so I can flip when she AND the judges speak.

Tom remains the one saving grace for this franchise.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

THIS. Pasha has been great straight out of the gate. The man just knows how to teach and choreograph. This is the kind of pro they need to hold on to. I'd be less salty about losing Artem if the male pros were all of his caliber, but... we are still dealing with Gleb. Artem would have had a real shot with someone like Lauren Alaina, who seems willing to go out of her comfort zone (even if she whines about it later) and shows real joy and ability to learn steps.

And then on the other side we have Jenna - she's weighing Karamo down and clearly not choreographing to his strengths. For pete's sake, they're getting the same scores as Sean Spicer. Just goes to show you how talented and committed Lindsey is when you see what she's done with Sean to keep him afloat - and I haven't always been her biggest fan, but I gotta give her props here. Jenna should really take some notes and realize Adam Rippon was a one-in-a-million shot at a win for her.

Some of other male pros should be watching out because we are only three weeks in and it feels like Pasha is locking himself up a pro spot pretty quickly.  I can't remember the last time we've had a male pro premiere this well.  He's done better work in three weeks than Gleb has done in ten seasons or however long he's been on the show.

I also keep wondering what Lindsay would have done with Karamo.  I know this isn't really the thread for it, but I think even in the athletes season Jenna lucked out that it was only four weeks long and nobody voted on freestyle.  Because Adam was good and she did some decent work with him but she was also handed a situation where lesser known stars weren't going to be able to surpass him in four weeks and her freestyle was awful.  On top of which Adam did quite a bit of non ballroom work in four weeks.

I doubt they read them but I hope Gleb and Jenna don't read youtube comments.  Under Lauren's dances, all the comments are about how much Gleb sucks and while under Karamo's dances most are saying Jenna can't teach or choreograph and they wish he was with Lindsay or Sharna.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, TiredMe said:

I like Kate. Never heard of her before the show but she's really enjoyable. 

If you get a chance, watch some episodes of The Office (US version).  She plays a minor part, but is hysterical.

When I first heard that she was going to be on DWTS, my brain could not compute The Office character with a woman who would display such joy in life.

My brain has happily corrected itself.

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, spanana said:

I doubt they read them but I hope Gleb and Jenna don't read youtube comments.  Under Lauren's dances, all the comments are about how much Gleb sucks and while under Karamo's dances most are saying Jenna can't teach or choreograph and they wish he was with Lindsay or Sharna.

Jenna’s mom has been fighting with Instagram commenters on the DWTS page, so I think they read some of them. 😬

I’m not the hugest Jenna defender but I do think Karamo is... sorta bad. His dance last night was awkward and stompy. I don’t know if this is due to a lack of teaching ability on Jenna’s part, or Karamo just not being as good at this as everyone expected him to be.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Jenna’s mom has been fighting with Instagram commenters on the DWTS page, so I think they read some of them. 😬

I’m not the hugest Jenna defender but I do think Karamo is... sorta bad. His dance last night was awkward and stompy. I don’t know if this is due to a lack of teaching ability on Jenna’s part, or Karamo just not being as good at this as everyone expected him to be.

I didn't know that and I get defending your daughter especially if the comments are nasty, but insta commenters are the worst.  There is a reason why they tell celebs not to read and engage.

But I do think you hit the nail on the head.  Do I think Lindsay could do a better job with him? Of course because she's a kick ass pro and she can make a tree look decent and knows how to choreograph to a partners strengths.

I do think part of the issue with Karamo though, even where the judges are concerned, is for whatever reason people came in expecting him to be better than he is.  I don't think anyone thought he would be a ringer, but they expected him to be in contention for a finals.  Which is why IMO it's much better to come in as an underdog, like a Kate, and have people be pleasantly surprised.  Not that people's expectations are Karamo's fault, or even Jenna's.

• Love 2

I thought it kind of odd in Ally's promo, that as she shared what a huge fan she was of Selena and how much Selena influenced her in her career, they only showed clips of Jennifer Lopez portraying Selena in the film, rather than photos or clips of Selena.

Ah, you say, but this was movie night, and the point was to bring attention to memorable films.

Aha, I say, but when Karamo was talking about how important and iconic Reginald Dwight, or whatever he calls himself nowadays, is, they showed pictures of him, not clips from the movie Rocketman.

Just sayin'.

• Love 4

I hate to say it but I saw him on $100,000 Pyramid and he seemed kinda dumb too. That might be part of the problem.

I do think part of the issue with Karamo though, even where the judges are concerned, is for whatever reason people came in expecting him to be better than he is.  I don't think anyone thought he would be a ringer, but they expected him to be in contention for a finals.

I cringe to think which particular stereotype led people to expect this though.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sd dude said:

I thought it kind of odd in Ally's promo, that as she shared what a huge fan she was of Selena and how much Selena influenced her in her career, they only showed clips of Jennifer Lopez portraying Selena in the film, rather than photos or clips of Selena

I thought the same thing about the promo of JLO instead of Selena because I was thinking alot people may not be familiar with the original Selena and it would have been a great idea to pictures of her but maybe she felt that would be too personal as Selena is dead and she would have to get permission to release her photos but since her family is friends with Selena family, they may not have mind but maybe she thought out of respect to just show pics from the movie actress instead of the actual Selena.

Im just glad we finally got a Selena song on dwts. I have been wanting some of her music on the show for the longest. Very talented young woman that died too soon.

• Love 3

Random notes:

In the troupe dance, there was a strange edit.  Danielle was lifted by Val and Gleb (?) but for the overhead shot, it was Lindsay being lifted by Keo.

Karamo said he was glad about dancing to the Elton John song because Elton John lived his life "out and proud."  Uh, no.  Mostly not.

I can't speak to Karamo's dance itself, but it wins for Most Distracting Elements.  The troupe, the large projection of giant troupe members and flying graphics, and the audience waving hankies or whatever.  Oy.  Also, Jenna's lips.  Huge distraction.

Mary was in the near background during the Ray Lewis interview and she looked PISSED.

The clock on the 9 to 5 song read 11:45, not 9:00.

When Val complimented Sailor, saying it was "great to have a partner who wanted to work," who was he dissing?

Edited by Just Carol
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I cringe to think which particular stereotype led people to expect this though.

I do think it's a stereotype, but for me the GMA reveal made me think he would be better than he is.  I know flexibility doesn't equal dance talent but his promo shot they showed on GMA was him doing a toe touch.  Stupid I know but I figured if he could do jumps like that and had good flexibility, then he would have dance ability.  Plus I always try to judge the celebs and get first impressions by how they move in their GMA intros.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Just Carol said:

Random notes:

In the troupe dance, there was a strange edit.  Danielle was lifted by Val and Gleb (?) but for the overhead shot, it was Lindsay being lifted by Keo.

Thank you!  I've been so confused trying to figure it out.  I didn't realize it was Lindsay and not Daniela because all of the blonde hair blends together but I was so confused on the Keo part because I saw Daniela go up and it was definitely not Keo but then it looked like Keo was holding her head in an overhead lift and I kept trying to figure out where he came from.  That makes more sense that it was edited.

I did like the opening number though.  At least it was more jazz/ballroom mix and not the bump and grind stuff Mandy was fond of foisting on our female pros.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wish someone would tell Hannah to lose the constant Pageant Smile. I expect she'll continue to shine it at us if she ever gets the tango. I also hated her package, a bridal shower? You mean Hannah's all hooked up with "wedding" stuff? And Alan as a "surprise" stripper at the fake shower? Please. He would go broke if that's his stripping act. But kudos to Tom for cluing Alan that there's such a thing as spray tan.

Between Hannah plastered pageant persona and Lauren, Im Christian country girl who scared of my Daddy act, its enough for me to start fastforwarding all their performances. Im beginning to be over it, I tell ya over it.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, spanana said:

I do think it's a stereotype, but for me the GMA reveal made me think he would be better than he is.  I know flexibility doesn't equal dance talent but his promo shot they showed on GMA was him doing a toe touch.  Stupid I know but I figured if he could do jumps like that and had good flexibility, then he would have dance ability.  Plus I always try to judge the celebs and get first impressions by how they move in their GMA intros.

I think alot people thought he would be a natural from the GMA thing. I dont think it had anything to do with he is the black gay guy so he has to be good but just left an impressive look at the GMA.

Ok, posting my thoughts before I see the results...

First of all, theme night already? Alrighty, then.

Am I the only one who had trouble figuring out who all the dancers were in the opening number? Who was the girl they lifted up?

I'm so used to hearing Tom say "choreographed by Mandy Moore" that it threw me off when he said someone else's name. Does Mandy no longer choreograph for the show?

On to the dances...

Lauren-She said "It's scary to go first", and her nerves showed. I wasn't very impressed, plus I'm not sure that Pretty Woman is a good song to tango to. The show should do a better job of matching songs to dance styles, which is not a new complaint.

Hannah-Oh, Alan, why?! The Bachelorette party thing was embarrasing! The dance definitely needed more hip action.

Karamo-He was having fun, and it was a fun dance, but he missed some steps and also was "steppy" in places. I lol'ed at Len's hickey comment.

Ally-I guess I have my cranky pants on tonight, because I wasn't feeling this one <shrug>. I don't agree with the 8s, all 7s would have been acceptable.

I felt bad for Mary, seeing her sitting there behind Ray. Too bad they couldn't have brought her back after Ray pulled out, but she probably wouldn't have lasted long anyway, so...

On a shallow note, I love Rashad, but his hair is horrible(as were his pants)!

James-Well, damn, this song annoys the hell out of me-I can't change the station fast enough when it comes on the radio. That being said...Holy hell, that was one sexy dance!<fans myself>. I really hope he goes far in/wins this season. If Len gave Ally an 8, James deserved the same, IMO.

Kate-I like her. I've never watched The Office, so I know nothing about her, but I really like her attitude and commitment. She might be the dark horse this year. As far as the dance goes, I enjoyed it, but at times there was too much space between them in hold. I am impressed with Pasha as a pro so far. 

Lamar-Oh, my. If there's still an elimination tonight, I hope he's it.

If people are actually playing a drinking game to the confetti cannon tonight, they're already drunk, with 3 dances left to go.

OT, if they ever did a "Dancing with Everyday People" I would love to try out for it 🙂

Also, I'm calling it now that Jonathan Scott will be a contestant next season.

Sailor-I'm on board with everyone else now-enough of Christie. While what happened to her sucks, she is no longer the one on the show. The dance itself was good, and props to her for stepping in, but I'm ready to see the last of her to get rid of the drama.

Sorry, but another OT-Is Erin wearing Carrie-Ann's earrings from last week?

Kel-I hate when you can't see the feet because of the fog. I guess he was trying to look serious, but to me he just looked angry, which kind of took me out of it a little bit. Plus, his stance was weird in places. 

OMG, so many asides tonight! One, the lady with the green lipstick is creeping me out. Two, why is Rashad upstairs but not Cheryl? Three, why is Lamar having so much trouble unwrapping a cough drop? Oops, sorry, got off track...

Sean-Not that good, but it had its moments, and was surprisingly entertaining.

Were they originally going to do a double elimination tonight? Otherwise, I'm surprised they didn't just call everyone safe after Ray pulled out. Or are they going to change what would have been a future double elimination to a single elimination?

I guess I'll go watch the rest of the show now

And, they called everyone safe at the last minute. I was kind of surprised that Kel was in the bottom two.

Edited by marykat71702
Added something
  • Love 3
On 9/30/2019 at 11:42 PM, suebee12 said:

I know Disney has the say so but I really didn't need all of the Star Wars stuff...well, except for Tom sitting on the floor with the cute little robot!

I keep seeing mentions of Star Wars stuff, but I watch it on Hulu and didn't see any SW stuff. Somebody fill me in on what I missed, please?

On 9/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, lavenderblue said:

I wouldn't have scored James behind Ally -- Ally's rumba had a lot of content, but James danced his quite well and especially compared to how male celebs on this show tend to manage it. It's too early for 9s but I might've given him the straight 8s and Ally a 7, or otherwise tied them since she set the scoring bar.

Totally agree with this!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sd dude said:

I thought it kind of odd in Ally's promo, that as she shared what a huge fan she was of Selena and how much Selena influenced her in her career, they only showed clips of Jennifer Lopez portraying Selena in the film, rather than photos or clips of Selena.

Ah, you say, but this was movie night, and the point was to bring attention to memorable films.

Aha, I say, but when Karamo was talking about how important and iconic Reginald Dwight, or whatever he calls himself nowadays, is, they showed pictures of him, not clips from the movie Rocketman.

Just sayin'.

Agreed. I initially thought Ally meant she was a big fan of Selena BECAUSE of the movie and was surprised when she said the families are friends. 

Lamar can go anytime, but the judges’ scores this week we’re just plain rude. He was streets ahead of last week and somehow got the exact same score... ONE judge could have thrown an extra point in there, especially since they did for some others. 

James, Kate, and Kel remain my favorites. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Im just glad we finally got a Selena song on dwts. I have been wanting some of her music on the show for the longest. Very talented young woman that died too soon.

Agreed! I don't know why her music wasn't used previously. Ally did a good job with that song.

I'm not saying youtube views mean everything or are always a good indicator of who is likely not getting the votes, but so far the two lowest views counts this week on youtube are Kel followed by Karamo.  Lamar and Kate are about tied in front of them.  Yes, Spicer has more views than any of that group.  Not that views won't jump around during the week, but I suspect Kel is not going to last long unless the judges save him continually because he's been on the bottom of the views every week, as were Mary and Ray, and we know he was in the actual B2. Though in their cases I also think the "older" contestants tend to get lower views just cause I think their fans are the ones less likely to be online continually rewatching.

Hannah regularly gets the most views by a good amount and then James and Ally are next this week.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Kel didn't deserve to be bottom 2!

I'm starting to get a little worried about the way voting will work this season. I can only speak for myself but I tend to wait 20 or 30 minutes to start the show so I can skip commercials. That so far has meant that when I cast my votes about fifteen minutes before the show ends, I usually haven't watched the last two or three dances so I can make it in before voting closes. I only vote for the dancers that I've seen because I'm not yet at the point where I am willing to throw votes at someone just because I like them or want them to stay in the competition, so that means for the last two weeks it hasn't mattered how well the last two or three performed, I'm not voting for them. Kel went third to last week 2 and second to last on Monday. If other people are doing the same thing I'm doing, I'm concerned that the last few dancers of the night are going to be at a distinct disadvantage. Granted, maybe I'm giving too much credit to the voters. After all, historically they've proven to be, um, not as concerned about quality dancing when they cast their votes. 😉 But it still makes me nervous.

17 hours ago, Just Carol said:

Mary was in the near background during the Ray Lewis interview and she looked PISSED.

I noticed that, too. She was probably thinking, "Wasted your save there last week, huh, judges?" 😂

• Love 2

Like I said last week, the judges can't save/get rid of someone if they're not in the bottom 2 and so far the worst dancers have not been in the bottom 2.  That's why I don't think this new system will work any better than the old one.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Like I said last week, the judges can't save/get rid of someone if they're not in the bottom 2 and so far the worst dancers have not been in the bottom 2.  That's why I don't think this new system will work any better than the old one.

It's not going to help much in a Grocery Store Joe or Bobby Bones situation and so far a Spicer situation, but Lamar did hit B2 on his own so I expect he won't be that hard to get rid of moving forward.  And while neither Ray or Mary were worse than Spicer or Lamar, they were still likely next in line to go after them based on ability.

Where I think there is going to a lot of drama also is if the judges are deciding when it's like an Ally vs. Sailor vs. Karamo vs. Kel sort of situation just in the sense that everyone is on a decently even playing field so it's really going to be a toss up for the judges in most of these scenarios.  

• Love 3

I think Karamo danced well in the first episode. Now he looks scared to be out there. His confidence must be shot from Len shitting on him every week. On the other hand, the show coddles Spicer every week, so of course he has a "positive attitude."

I must say, while Gleb is smarmy, he was smoking hot in that suit!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I think Karamo danced well in the first episode. Now he looks scared to be out there. His confidence must be shot from Len shitting on him every week. On the other hand, the show coddles Spicer every week, so of course he has a "positive attitude."

I must say, while Gleb is smarmy, he was smoking hot in that suit!

According to Jenna, Karamo was nervous because Demi Lovato and other celebs were in the audience.  Which I understand nerves and I get why he might be nervous, but that seemed like kind of a bull excuse.  There are always celebs in the audience.

Jenna's Blog for People

Also reading her blog I feel like part of their issue is she's trying so hard to be his bestie above all else.  I get her defending Karamo with the judges and talking about the judges being hard on him, but she also seems incapable of addressing his flaws.  She admits he had one tiny screw up during the actual routine but was perfect otherwise and was perfect in dress rehearsal and all week during rehearsal.  She's seemingly too busy planning her future triple dates with Karamo/fiancee and Sailor/boyfriend.  You can support your celeb without telling him everything he does is perfection.

I do find it funny how the pros geeked out the most over Jim O'Heir though.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, angelamh66 said:

Anyone else catch Len telling Ally not to touch him after she high-fived him. I found it hilarious and awkward as hell. I can’t say I blame him. I hate when Carrie hugs the contestants. But maybe that’s just me... I’m like people Teflon. 

That made me cringe so hard. I understand not liking high fives or hugs but he didnt to have be so nasty about it. 

I would rather have Julianne Hough than Len's cranky self. 

• Love 6

I want to believe that Len was simply playing in character as the cantankerous old judge and wasn't actually annoyed (although I admit I don't see him as the "high five" type).  I think it was supposed to be funny but the timing and tone along with complete lack of audience reaction (no laughter at all) did make it an uncomfortable moment.  We all bomb sometimes.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Yes.

But,,,what he wearing maternity pants ?

Those pants were so tight it was ridiculous. I can do without a rashad appearance. Its like he has no life since his dwts win.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Agreed! I don't know why her music wasn't used previously. Ally did a good job with that song.

Pro. getting clearing is hard. Her family has her music on tight from my understanding, I mean even to have her music sung by others may be hard as well. Ally just happens to to know the family and was able to get it im sure but I do wish her music was played way before now.

Which included some former DWTS troupers and some not, but might be recognizable for people that watch SYTYCD.

Which SYCTD dancers were there? My eyesight isn't good enough to see their faces when they're moving around the whole time.

I can't understand the judges scoring at all. Kate has improved, but no way is she better than Hannah and James. Sailor is pretty overscored as well. I guess they want to keep her around so Christie can beg for attention every week. Ally probably did deserve the 8s. No way should Karamo tie with Sean. They keep talking about "changes" but it's still the same old BS where they set up the people who go first and overscore the people they want to keep around.

I think Lamar and Kel are the next to go. Stinky Spicer is going to be around until the end. They are trying so hard to make him the next Bill Engvall, but he's more Tonya Harding. Bill was funny. Spicer is just a dork!

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2
On 9/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, spanana said:

People on the west coast can basically blind vote during the east coast showing, but they aren't voting based on what they have seen on tv.  Maybe they can see vids online depending on how quickly they are posted?

For the  Mountain and Pacific time zones, ABC is promoting this show to be a popularity contest. No merit at all for skill and performance. Not happy about this.

So You Think You Can Dance uses the same SMS phone number for their voting. Difference is the voting starts at the END of the show and continues through 11am the following morning, Eastern Standard Time. This way, all time zones have the opportunity to view the dances and cast their vote well within the time period for voting.

SYTYCD does not have a results show just as DWTS does not. Why can't this system work for DWTS?

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2

I can't understand, given that there is no elim in the 1st show, why they just can't base the elim in the second show on the votes and judges scores from the first.  This system is stupid and devalues their brand (an activity they seem to have pursued often).

On 10/1/2019 at 1:29 AM, Sister Havana said:

So if they disbanded the troupe and only have 2 unpaired pros plus Brandon, where the heck did all the extra dancers tonight come from? 

I recognized Paul Karmiryan from So You Think You Can Dance. He is Latin Ballroom trained. I also thought DWTS was not having the troupe this season. I was so looking forward to having just the couple dance without all the distraction of other dancers. Save that for the Freestyle round at the end of the season.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I can't understand the judges scoring at all. Kate has improved, but no way is she better than Hannah and James. Sailor is pretty overscored as well. I guess they want to keep her around so Christie can beg for attention every week. Ally probably did deserve the 8s. 

Kate, Hannah and James are all fantastic.  Last week, Hannah and James had the rhumba, and both were dinged for not using their hips as required by the dance.  Definitely, what Hannah did was not a rhumba.  I do not think Ally deserved the 8s because I didn't see much hip action on her, either.  

• Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, sd dude said:

I want to believe that Len was simply playing in character as the cantankerous old judge and wasn't actually annoyed (although I admit I don't see him as the "high five" type).  I think it was supposed to be funny but the timing and tone along with complete lack of audience reaction (no laughter at all) did make it an uncomfortable moment.  We all bomb sometimes.

I also took it as a joke from Len. Did we read that incorrectly?

• Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 4:17 PM, spanana said:

I do find it funny how the pros geeked out the most over Jim O'Heir though.

I love seeing so many sitcom people coming out to support Kate 😍 Christie Brinkley also played Jerry/Garry/Larry's wife on Parks and Rec so I immediately geeked out when I realized Mr and Mrs Gergich were in the ballroom at the same time 😃

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Maya S said:

I love seeing so many sitcom people coming out to support Kate 😍 Christie Brinkley also played Jerry/Garry/Larry's wife on Parks and Rec so I immediately geeked out when I realized Mr and Mrs Gergich were in the ballroom at the same time 😃

Jim O'Heir posted a vid with Christie where they do their Gergich schtick and it's funny in the sense that Jim makes sure to say both Kate and Sailor's names since they came to support different people and of course Christie ignores Kate's name completely and just talks about how they are team Sailor.

• Love 1

Color me surprised that Kel was one of the bottom two! I actually think he's pretty good. He can obviously stand to improve, but they all can! I get Lamar being in the bottom, although I can't help but to feel sorry for him. Sean, however, I feel NO sympathy for and he sucks and needs to go. Personally, I think Hannah and James are the best of the group. I see one of them winning this thing. 

• Love 3
On 10/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, marykat71702 said:

I keep seeing mentions of Star Wars stuff, but I watch it on Hulu and didn't see any SW stuff. Somebody fill me in on what I missed, please?

Totally agree with this!

in between the dances there was a segment where tom started talking about star wars....the new star wars  ride ar disneyland  showing clips...and then he mentioned the movie and a clip was shown...then the little white droid with the yellow circles rolled onto the stage and tom sat on the floor and said something to him....oh maybe the movie clip was after tom spoke to the star wars droid

• Love 2