Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: You Don't Need a Weatherman

Elijah and Sydney must put personal feelings aside to help a group of farmers in danger of losing everything to an insidious corporate scheme. Anthony and Jake team up to take on a seemingly lighthearted case about a stolen barbecue sauce recipe.

Will Sydney be strident?  Will she  petulantly put her hand on her hip and jut out her lower lip? Will our heroes win against the evil corporation?  Will a case that would take years be wrapped up in a single episode? Will Jimmy Smits make PrincessPurrsALots' heart flutter?  I know the answer to at least one of these questions is yes.

Let's see what happens!

Original air date 2019.09.30

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I missed the first 15 minutes, where I'm assuming it was explained how a company can sue you for not patronizing them. The hell?  I'm sure Amazon would love to sue you for not buying everything from them but they can't. 

9 hours ago, Maverick said:

I missed the first 15 minutes, where I'm assuming it was explained how a company can sue you for not patronizing them. The hell?  I'm sure Amazon would love to sue you for not buying everything from them but they can't. 

I don't think they sued for not using their product; they sued for theft.  Something about how the seeds from a neighboring farm (who was using the product) would blow over onto the farm/land of whomever had refused the product.  The seeds would take root and grow and then the company would claim theft of product. Or something.  It all sounded convoluted and improbable but I'm no law expert. 

I love Jimmy.  I mean, REALLY.  But I don't know if that love can overcome the horrible writing on this show.  Jimmy deserves so much better.  

I predict Sydney will become buds with her bro, she will find out something about her mom that makes mom less of a saint (like she was cheating too), she will maybe/sorta/kinda get back with her ex, etc.  SO predictable already. 

There will likely be innumerable David vs. Goliath case, and honestly, I'm waiting for the real Goliath (with Billy Bob on the 4th!).  This is just coming off so trite & cheesy.  

Jimmy & the Rum Boogie Cafe just aren't enough.  I'll do one more round, but they need to bring it.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I love Jimmy.  I mean, REALLY.  But I don't know if that love can overcome the horrible writing on this show.  Jimmy deserves so much better.  

Jimmy & the Rum Boogie Cafe just aren't enough.  I'll do one more round, but they need to bring it.  

Sigh....................Sadly I have to agree.  I won't stop watching but it blows my mind why they can't write a decent series for him.  He's so phenomenal!  

• Love 5
20 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Sigh....................Sadly I have to agree.  I won't stop watching but it blows my mind why they can't write a decent series for him.  He's so phenomenal!  

I loved him SO MUCH as Nero in "Sons of Anarchy".  He was the classiest hoodlum ever, mama!  🙂

• Love 6

I'm determined to stick with this for two reasons - Jimmy Smits and Memphis.  I'm not a huge fan of TV law dramas but this is one I'm going to give a chance.  Not the greatest but certainly not the worst.  Frankly, I found the storyline on this episode believable but the "miracle" revelation at the end pretty contrived.  We'll see how it goes from here.

• Love 3
On 10/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, leighdear said:

I loved him SO MUCH as Nero in "Sons of Anarchy".  He was the classiest hoodlum ever, mama!  🙂

YES!! Hoping they resurrect his character on Mayans!  I'd just like to see him star in a decent show as opposed to being in an ensemble cast.  He's so talented.

• Love 5

As pointed out by others, the crap that the GMO companies do to farmers is crazy, and it happens and is apparently legal.  I was hoping that Elijah and Sydney would come up with a way to beat them "fairly".  The trespassing angle seemed like an interesting possibility.  Okay, so the farmer has your patented crap crop growing on their property.  They didn't ask for it, and it should be your responsibility to keep it off of other people's property.  It sure doesn't make sense that you let that happen, then sue them and take their farm.  Something's wrong with a system that allows that to happen.

Instead, the GMO guys actually were guilty of bullying and other intimidiation tactics, including outright destruction of private property, and they ended up busted for that.  That's a cop out.  Or maybe the idea was that there's no way to win against these guys and that was the message.  I liked that Sydney and Elijah were fierce and wouldn't give up, etc., but we expected that anyway.

Edited by Orbert
  • Love 3