Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: Back in the Saddle

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If anyone doesn't need another child, it's Meredith. She couldn't handle the ones she has without help.

I didn't see Maggie's about Vic as being about Vic herself (because she doesn't know Vic) so much as a reaction to Jackson's #freedom and generally being a jerk including his comments about how wonderful Vic is while being cold to Maggie herself. If they ever want to put Jackson and Maggie together again (and I really hope they don't), Jackson has to find some empathy.  They both need to grow up but that's too much to ask for on this show.

Which of them have?  I think April and Jackson did because April failed her the first time and quit but I don't remember the original five taking them.

I assumed that Jo took her board exam because she was applying to other hospitals and it would have helped her application.  But more likely the show just doesn't care about those details.

With Richard, Alex and Meredith gone from the hospital, of course Bailey would prefer to have Jo fill an attending position rather than off working on a project as a fellow.

The original five (minus Izzie and George for obvious reasons) definitely took them. I remember because Meredith was violently ill during it. It was during season 8.

5 minutes ago, taanja said:

I swear in like the first season? second? maybe third? there is an ep dedicated to MAGIC taking their board exams. Meredith just sits there staring off into space because of something...?? probably something Derek did (Derek was always doing something shitty and fucking up Mere in the head) .... and George... fails? yes I believe George initially fails his boards.

I know what you’re talking about, but that was a different exam. That was the “intern” exam. Basically, it was to get them from intern to resident. The real boards are in season eight because they start wearing the dark blue scrubs in season nine.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

At least the patient is unconscious and doesn't have to listen to their idiocy.

And if they were to wake up on the operating table they'd probably beg the doctors to let them die just so they wouldn't have to listen to their personal problems anymore. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

The original five (minus Izzie and George for obvious reasons) definitely took them. I remember because Meredith was violently ill during it. It was during season 8.

I know what you’re talking about, but that was a different exam. That was the “intern” exam. Basically, it was to get them from intern to resident. The real boards are in season eight because they start wearing the dark blue scrubs in season nine.

oh right! I've been watching this show for 100 years -- I forgot what happened so long ago!

Edited by taanja
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, taanja said:

I swear in like the first season? second? maybe third? there is an ep dedicated to MAGIC taking their board exams. Meredith just sits there staring off into space because of something...?? probably something Derek did (Derek was always doing something shitty and fucking up Mere in the head) .... and George... fails? yes I believe George initially fails his boards.

That one was when Mere's dad slapped her around the face, after her stepmother died at their hospital, and told her she wasn't wanted at the funeral. And McDouche did nothing in response.

The boards were when they were all flying off to different places around the country, for interviews, just before the plane crash. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's what I was wondering. Can you really just walk into, or phone, a police station and go "I want a restraining order against so-and-so" and they just go "Okee-dokey, here ya' go!" Wouldn't there be some kind of investigation, or something? Surely even the most cursory glance at this case would show it was a simple accident. Criminy. 

I think you have to go to court to get one and have a judge sign off, and then it has to be officially served on the person to go into effect. I would think Own deserves a chance to defend himself about whether it is needed, especially since Tom is his boss. And I say that is someone who hates Owen.

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I assumed that Jo took her board exam because she was applying to other hospitals and it would have helped her application.  But more likely the show just doesn't care about those details.

Yeah, I am almost positive they mentioned her taking them and passing them. They had her studying, and then she got that job offer in Boston. I think it was an attending job, but then she decided she wanted a fellowship to cure cancer or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, funnygirl said:

It's been no secret from the get-go that Jackson and Maggie were not widely well received. 

Unfortunately, I think this overtly tense breakup is smoke-and-mirrors, and that the goal is to eventually bring them back together again. As if we're supposed to believe that they so strongly dislike each other because of the raging inferno of passion that they have for one another - or some ridiculous nonsense like that. Hopefully I'm wrong and tptb have come to their senses to let that pairing stay dead, but as of now I'm skeptical. 

I was having the same thoughts re Jaggie breakup and and have been hoping I am wrong.  I felt Maggie had chemistry with DeLuca and wish they had put them back together.  I even felt she had chemistry with Dean the station 19 guy that asked her out.

Koracick needs to realize Teddy is not worth it and move on.  Koracick being a grade A jerk will not make me like Owen and I already root for Owen/Teddy because I think they deserve each other.

I am now sold on Link/Amelia.  A couple having an honest mature conversation...I probably should be wary though considering Grey's history in recent years of destroying what was once good couples.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And if they were to wake up on the operating table they'd probably beg the doctors to let them die just so they wouldn't have to listen to their personal problems anymore. 

We saw Amelia and Linc talking in that nice room with plants and comfy chairs, yet every other doctor insists on airing their issues in front of everyone while working on patients.   The patients would sue if they knew!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, izabella said:

We saw Amelia and Linc talking in that nice room with plants and comfy chairs, yet every other doctor insists on airing their issues in front of everyone while working on patients.   The patients would sue if they knew!

Oh I know. I wanted someone to tell Baily when the patient could possibly die when she said: "What do you do?" I wanted another doctor to say: "I tell the patient's family you argued about personal problems trying to teach a doctor who was not ready for surgery that you let them die so they learned something." "Then they sue you!"

• Love 10

So Meredith is facing some consequences, but by making her do all the medical treatment stuff, she's now becoming a martyr.  Facing consequences would be keeping her license (barely), but not being able to get a job anywhere as a surgeon, and having to become a medical consultant on lawsuits.  Watching her go to other hospitals, or to networking events, and have people flat out say their hospital insurance wouldn't let them hire her.  

I wish they hadn't made Meredith rich, because consequences right now would be struggling to figure out how to pay for things.  

And not to get into the politics of it, but if they were going to make a big deal of how an ENT referral can take months when you have an HMO, they should know that it's the same in Canada and Great Britain, which have universal government paid healthcare.  It is faster and easier to get an MRI for your dog in some parts of Canada than it is to get one for a human.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I had an ENT referral and it took maybe 2-3 weeks. I can't imagine in a major metro area like Seattle you'd have to wait months. Surely there is more than one ENT covered by the HMO. The health insurance story line doe feel very didactic. Although to be fair if any show is going to cover it, this is the best suited to it. I just wish the dialogue weren't so heavy handed.

• Love 4

I have a friend who had an artery tear? Last December, and she's only just getting around more, in the past month or two. She had to wait to see one person in April, and has only just seen another doctor that she really needed to see sooner - and this is with really good insurance, in California. 

Growing up in England, I was always seen when I needed to be, although once, someone got me in to see his dentist that he paid for. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I had an ENT referral and it took maybe 2-3 weeks. I can't imagine in a major metro area like Seattle you'd have to wait months. Surely there is more than one ENT covered by the HMO. The health insurance story line doe feel very didactic. Although to be fair if any show is going to cover it, this is the best suited to it. I just wish the dialogue weren't so heavy handed.

Considering how few available doctors Seattle Grace Mercy Death has, I wouldn't be at all surprised if "Seattle" doesn't have more ENT's, lol.

• LOL 4

I was catching up on my TV viewing and caught the first episode of this season's The Good Doctor where the new head of surgery was making a drastic change for the residents  -- insteadof having to wait till their fourth year, now third year residents would be able to take the lead on a surgery provided that it is very easy and straightforward.  Certainly not the kind of difficult surgery Bailey had a second test try to do.

Sometimes it takes going outside to see how crazy the Grey's teaching practices are.

7 hours ago, Janie430 said:

And not to get into the politics of it, but if they were going to make a big deal of how an ENT referral can take months when you have an HMO, they should know that it's the same in Canada and Great Britain, which have universal government paid healthcare.  It is faster and easier to get an MRI for your dog in some parts of Canada than it is to get one for a human.  

It may be different in smaller centers in Canada but I've never had to wait that long for an appointment where I live where, like Seattle, there are several hospitals. NMy doctor said that I could see a plastic surgeon for something entirely optional and the appointment was within 6 weeks. When my mammogram came back dodgey, the ultrasound was scheduled for a few days later and when that was questionable, the biopsy later the same day.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, KaveDweller said:
On 10/4/2019 at 12:41 PM, iMonrey said:

That's what I was wondering. Can you really just walk into, or phone, a police station and go "I want a restraining order against so-and-so" and they just go "Okee-dokey, here ya' go!" Wouldn't there be some kind of investigation, or something? Surely even the most cursory glance at this case would show it was a simple accident. Criminy. 

I think you have to go to court to get one and have a judge sign off, and then it has to be officially served on the person to go into effect. I would think Own deserves a chance to defend himself about whether it is needed, especially since Tom is his boss. And I say that is someone who hates Owen.

In my state, you go to the county Sheriff to file the order, the Sheriff then serves the defendant. It is effective immediately, but is also temporary. A hearing is scheduled for 10 days from the date of the filing, at which both sides present their case and a judge decides if it will stay in effect. I would guess that the process is at least somewhat similar in other states. 

• Useful 3
15 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm sorry, but "hashtag freedom" made me cackle.

Decent episode.

Same! I'm trying to think of what sort of meaning he could have had other than freedom from the relationship. I mean aside from a "hooray, USA!" sort of thing. Like there's no plausible deniability there...and he had to know Maggie could have seen it or heard about it, knowing how no one can keep a secret in that group...

• Love 3
On 10/5/2019 at 6:52 AM, Janie430 said:

So Meredith is facing some consequences, but by making her do all the medical treatment stuff, she's now becoming a martyr.  Facing consequences would be keeping her license (barely), but not being able to get a job anywhere as a surgeon, and having to become a medical consultant on lawsuits.  Watching her go to other hospitals, or to networking events, and have people flat out say their hospital insurance wouldn't let them hire her.  

I wish they hadn't made Meredith rich, because consequences right now would be struggling to figure out how to pay for things.  

What consequences are Richard and Alex facing? 

I'm really enjoying the scenes with the new hospital. I like them better than the regular hospital scenes and would like to see Richard and Alex turn it around. If Meredith wanted to go work there I'd be cool with it, too. She shouldn't lose her license especially after winning the Harper Avery. The only part in the regular hospital I liked was the skills lab. I found it interesting and amusing. Not too interested in another pregnancy story line and hope that they don't make Koracik a jerk for too long. I think anyone would be peeved if their nads got deep fried! I was expecting some surprise by the other doctors that the kid survived after being dead for so long, but after the accident no one mentioned it again (or him possibly suing Maggie for the accident even though it was his fault).

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, redfish said:

Show. Do not do anything to Amelia's and Link's baby. Do you hear me? Do. Not. Write. A. Sad. Baby Story. Amelia deserves a better relationship after Owen and Link is such a supportive sweetie.

I couldn't agree more.  Not to mention that that baby will be beautiful!

• Love 4

If anyone (like me) was siding with Koracik in the triangle or with Bailey in the firings, the writers have made it clear that you're (we're) WRONG and will go around having all the other characters point out how awful they are just to hammer the point.

Not that I'm surprised with this show. It has a history with this kind of BS, all the way back to "what Addison did was sooo much worse."

I actually can't tell who they think we should favor in the Maggie/Jackson breakup as they're both pretty ridiculous at this point. Which is why I'm thinking reconciliation is happening once the writers tire of the Station 19 "crossover."

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, dmeets said:

I actually can't tell who they think we should favor in the Maggie/Jackson breakup as they're both pretty ridiculous at this point. Which is why I'm thinking reconciliation is happening once the writers tire of the Station 19 "crossover."

I'm extremely confused about what's going on with those two. Not only was their relationship totally forced and inorganic, now the break-up is too. So they realize they're not right for each other. Too bad, but they haven't been together that long, they were only starting to get serious, there are no children or joint assets to share. Moreover, they work together and their parents are married to each other. So yeah, just get over it and be civil to each other. Instead, they're acting like they've deeply hurt and betrayed one another and this over the top animosity between them is totally unwarranted. 

So I'm thinking either the writers really want to beat into the ground how those two are never, ever, EVER getting back together or (more likely) they're setting up a scenario where there's just so much INTENSE PASSION!!! between them that they can't stand to be apart. *barf*

• Love 6

Maggie and Jackson shouldn't get back together, especially how they're behaving right now.  But I wouldn't bet against it.

6 hours ago, martha21 said:

.If Meredith wanted to go work there I'd be cool with it, too. She shouldn't lose her license especially after winning the Harper Avery.

Or it's another reason why she should.  She's well-known and honored. Letting her skate for breaking the law would send the message that there are two sets of rules, one for the famous and one for the other doctors.

• Love 4

I was watching “Dream a Little Dream of Me” (5th season) earlier. Who was that that falsified the start time of an operation so the patient would be covered by his insurance, thereby committing insurance fraud?? Why, that would be Bailey! 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
On 10/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, statsgirl said:
On 10/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, PepSinger said:

My question is, has Jo taken her board exam? I honestly can’t remember. That wouldn’t preclude her from doing a fellowship, but she’d have to take them to become an attending general surgeon.

Which of them have?  I think April and Jackson did because April failed her the first time and quit but I don't remember the original five taking them.

It was a long time ago, but I believe the original crew did it together, and Alex left early to follow up on his intern's baby who was in the ICU. And Meredith had a stomach bug and kept puking during the exam. 

They all checked their email for scores together. Am I remembering the right thing? Lord, this show has gone on for so long. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I Just realize that amelia and links pregnancy will be second pregnancy in all series where couple will be together during pregnancy. 

Mer and derek (only with bailey)were the only one till this time. 

Jackos and april - divorced

Owen and teddy - broken up

Callie and Mark - just friends

Mer and derek (with ellis) - dead

Is there any other baby? 

1 hour ago, askasza said:

I Just realize that amelia and links pregnancy will be second pregnancy in all series where couple will be together during pregnancy. 

Is there any other baby? 

Technically, Bailey was still with Tucker when Tuck was born. 

27 minutes ago, askasza said:

I know but we didnt know that bailey is pregnant until her labor so it doesnt count 😄

I mean, we technically found out that she was pregnant at least five episodes before she gave birth. She was just further along than the other female characters who were pregnant. 

2 hours ago, askasza said:

Is there any other baby? 

Well, there was the first one with Jackson and April that died, right? Not sure if that counts...but they were together then.

9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I mean, we technically found out that she was pregnant at least five episodes before she gave birth. She was just further along than the other female characters who were pregnant. 

Really? I must wacht it again becouse I completly don't remember that :< 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, statsgirl said:

there are plenty of articles and editorials in the New England Journal of Medicine pointing out that better overall healthcare is needed in the US.

Don't forget that the only medical journals the doctors on this show deign to grace with their presence are the ones that put pictures of said doctors on the covers.

Amanda is usually an immature babbling over the top drama queen, but somehow they managed to make her mature and emotionally honest when she talked to Linc about Christopher. If they let her be like this more often, I wouldn't dislike her character so much.

While Koracik was a bit much with the restraining order, I still felt like he was on the receiving end of so much of Owen's jealousy and childish behavior for the last two seasons that he's still coming out ahead.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While Koracik was a bit much with the restraining order, I still felt like he was on the receiving end of so much of Owen's jealousy and childish behavior for the last two seasons that he's still coming out ahead.

I suspect that Koracik is just yanking Owen's chain.  

• Love 1
On 10/7/2019 at 10:33 PM, chitowngirl said:

I was watching “Dream a Little Dream of Me” (5th season) earlier. Who was that that falsified the start time of an operation so the patient would be covered by his insurance, thereby committing insurance fraud?? Why, that would be Bailey! 

Of course -- but only Meredith should have consequences.

I liked the new hospital. I was surprised by how mature Anelia and Linc were. Add me to the list if I wish they had him and Mere date. I hate her with DeLuca.

Look here, Maggie, be pissed at Jackson but it was immature and wrong of you to drag Vic into it. Those were some horrible things to say about Vic and firefighters. I don't blame Jackson for hitting back later in the elevator. I so wish Bailey had heard it and would have dressed her down. 

• Love 4
On 10/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Lady Calypso said:

And that was (AFAIK) the only Grey's pregnancy to accommodate the actress (Chandra Wilson) who was actually pregnant.  Every other one, the actress was not pregnant (and when some of them were actually pregnant, they had to do thy old hide them behind shit stuff lol.)  Not sure why Chandra was accommodated, but I always felt that Chandra was representing Shonda Rimes on the show.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 10:32 AM, taanja said:

What consequences are Richard and Alex facing? 

They were fired and probably took pay cuts to work at that under-resourced hospital. 

On 10/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, anna0852 said:

Oh I don't think Jackson/Vic would last long at all. Vic is way too outspoken and has a very low tolerance for bull***t. Jackson's existential man-pain and mean streak ain't gonna fly.

Oh, Vic and Jackson will probably break up soon enough. But, wasn't that secret relationship with her bosses boss pretty bull***t?

On 10/7/2019 at 8:33 PM, chitowngirl said:

How far was Miranda into her career in Season 5? Maybe between then and now Miranda realized that doctors shouldn't commit insurance fraud. Maybe even though she's wealth from the invention 40-something Miranda wasn't up for facing negative consequences in her chosen career for condoning 40-something Meredith's disregard for the law.

When I took "buddy to boss" training one of the topics was how to respond when direct reports call you out when you don't condone them doing things they know you use to do. Our examples were much more innocuous than insurance fraud though. Alex and Richard being willing to sacrifice their careers and Andrew being willing to sacrifice his freedom for Meredith was more questionable to me than Miranda firing Meredith for insurance fraud.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:51 AM, taanja said:

Of course -- but only Meredith should have consequences.

They all get away with plenty and they all have occasional consequences. Besides, even though the other moms are gossiping about her,  Meredith is still saving lives and making new friends. Folks are holding her up to be a hero, etc.

I actually think in the real world, Mere would have gotten a slap on the wrist. It was wrong but it was one instance and I doubt it would have even be noticed. 

But if it had been, again slap on the wrist and a letter in her file. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, Court said:

I actually think in the real world, Mere would have gotten a slap on the wrist. It was wrong but it was one instance and I doubt it would have even be noticed. 

But if it had been, again slap on the wrist and a letter in her file. 

Yeah the jail time/community service is a little over the top. But it's Grey's so over the top is their MO. It's all about the DRAMA!!!!

On 10/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, askasza said:

Is there any other baby? 

The couple in question is Callie and Arizona, not Callie and Mark. Mark is just the biological father. Callie and Arizona are the mothers.

So yeah, that couple was together during the pregnancy.

15 hours ago, maddie965 said:

The couple in question is Callie and Arizona, not Callie and Mark. Mark is just the biological father. Callie and Arizona are the mothers.

So yeah, that couple was together during the pregnancy.

Mark is not "just biological father". He wasnt sperm donor, he was real father to Sofia... Arizona accepted that Calie is pregnant, and she baceme Sofia's second mother, but that doesnt mean Mark wasnt father! 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, askasza said:

Mark is not "just biological father". He wasnt sperm donor, he was real father to Sofia... Arizona accepted that Calie is pregnant, and she baceme Sofia's second mother, but that doesnt mean Mark wasnt father! 

That's how I remember it too.  Mark was very involved in Sofia's life and they lived across the hall from one another so they could both participate in her life.

• Love 6
On 10/17/2019 at 1:29 PM, RoxiP said:

That's how I remember it too.  Mark was very involved in Sofia's life and they lived across the hall from one another so they could both participate in her life.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Sure, the show treated Mark as the father sometimes, which was infuriating. He was not. The child was Callie and Arizona's. Callie and Mark were never going to raise the kid together. He would be like an uncle, not a father. Anyway, that's how I see it. The fact that he actually had sex with Callie and is friends with her is irrelevant. The couple is still Arizona and Callie, and the child is theirs.

1 hour ago, maddie965 said:

We will have to agree to disagree then. Sure, the show treated Mark as the father sometimes, which was infuriating. He was not. The child was Callie and Arizona's. Callie and Mark were never going to raise the kid together. He would be like an uncle, not a father. Anyway, that's how I see it. The fact that he actually had sex with Callie and is friends with her is irrelevant. The couple is still Arizona and Callie, and the child is theirs.

Whoa, there’s literally a scene where where Callie tells mark he can be the fun uncle and he flat out says he’s not the uncle he’s the father. He was always intended as an involved father to Sofia. Then when Arizona and Callie got back together they all agreed to be equal parents to Sofia, but he intended to take a very active part in raising Sofia. She was never just Callie and Arizona’s.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, moonorchid said:

Whoa, there’s literally a scene where where Callie tells mark he can be the fun uncle and he flat out says he’s not the uncle he’s the father. He was always intended as an involved father to Sofia. Then when Arizona and Callie got back together they all agreed to be equal parents to Sofia, but he intended to take a very active part in raising Sofia. She was never just Callie and Arizona’s.

This. 

• Love 3

So we’re really far behind in the UK with season 16, they’ve only just started showing it here. I got halfway through episode 2 and it felt like I’d been watching it for hours! I’m not even exaggerating. Greys has completely lost its magic. It doesn’t even feel like greys anymore-everything about it is totally different! the way it’s filmed, the feel of of it, the atmosphere, the characters attitudes and behaviours, the way they tell the stories-it’s all just wrong, and boring! After a decade and a half of being a devoted fan, it’s time to hang up my imaginary stethoscope-it’s just too depressing to carry on watching what was once one of the best shows on tv but has now become a messy, boring production filled with characters that nobody cares about.

• Love 3