Type keyword(s) to search

Bless the Harts - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

The boyfriend making the house for the daughter was touching, and the bit with Colin Powell at the end was mildly amusing, but otherwise, I thought it was awful. Annoying and unfunny.

The Jesus bit was not as clever as they thought it was.

• Love 2

"Hug N' Bugs".

Jenny discovers a secret of Betty's that may help her pay off the family's overdue bills. Meanwhile, Wayne, Jenny's boyfriend, is hurt when he discovers that Jenny's daughter Violet is featuring her biological father in her comic book.

It was OK, so I'll keep watching.

What was the deal with Jesus? It seemed like something that was thrown in to be "edgy".

• Love 1

In typical FOX fashion, this was episode 103 in production order, with episode 101 airing this Sunday. So why they would start off with the third episode is beyond me. I can only assume the first episode produced will be a better introduction to all the characters.

• Love 2

"Can't Get There From Here".

When money gets tight, Jenny takes on an undesirable second job to help fund Violet's art school tuition. Meanwhile, Wayne comes up with an entirely different plan to make money.

I see why this wasn't played first. I just didn't find it very interesting.

• Love 1

I chuckled at the drive-thru, when they figured out that they could write a check and it wouldn't bounce because it wouldn't hit the bank until Saturday.  Been there, done that.  Love seeing how people with cash flow issues work the system, without resorting to crime.  /smile/

A friend used to "forget" to sign checks, back in the day when a bank would return an unsigned check.  It would give her a few more days to pay the light bill.  She'd also smudge the routing number on the check -- that would take the check out of the automated system, another delay.

And she'd pay her Visa with her MasterCard.

Sometimes Violet speaks too quickly for me to pick up what she's saying -- that's my only gripe.

• Love 2

"Jenny Unfiltered".

When the town has split opinions over a controversial statue, Jenny learns to play both sides to appease her customers and make some extra money. Meanwhile, Violet accompanies Betty to visit a blast from the past that does not go as planned.

I lost interest in Jenny's story very quickly, then found myself changing the channel and returning to watch Betty's stuff. Not a good sign.

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

No comments on the last ep yet? This is a bad sign...

I liked it.  These people have heart (sorry). 

But I thought the answer to the statue problem could have been to just remove the giant cigarette, or disguise it as something else.

It did help me see that there are two sides of the issue.  If we removed all monuments to people and events that weren't worthy of praise, we'd have very few monuments left.  Maybe that would be okay -- it costs money to take care of those things -- but it's too much like rewriting history. 

On the other hand, many of those monuments involved rewriting history (or ignoring it) at the time they were erected.

It's a quandary, for sure.

• Love 1

"Cremains of the Day". When Violet, David and Leonard learn that Wayne is afraid of ghosts, they take him on a ghost hunt to cure his fear. Meanwhile, Jenny and Betty try to honor Jenny's late father on his favorite holiday.

Eh, it was OK, I guess.

Meh for me too.  I shouldn't expect realism from animation, but if we're supposed to think of these figures as people, then their situations should be realistic, or at least possible.  It lost me when the tent went up in flames, and when Jenny seemed to consider riding that motorcycle up that ramp.

I did like the Brendas, and I liked the basic premise -- that it's hard to let go. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Seeing Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Guy Fieri parodied was funny.

Yes.  And the band.  You just know those were modeled on real people. 

And Jesus trying to explain the Footsteps philosophy (or meme or whatever it's called) -- that was great.

• Love 1

I've watched this show a few times, and it's really not good. The characters as drawn remind me of how characters were drawn in the old Mad Magazine, which makes them slightly surreal and exaggerated.

The grandmother seems a ripoff of Annie Potts's Meemaw from Young Sheldon. The granddaughter is every single teenage girl stereotype ever.

I can't figure out Jenny. At times it seems like she's supposed to be above the rest of them, but other times, she's as white trash as they are. As I said previously, the talking-to-Jesus thing is not as clever as they think it is, but I like that he's voiced by Kumail Nanjiani.

I've always liked Ike Barinholtz, but too bad Wayne is the stereotypical redneck idiot. At least he's "hot."

• Love 1

"Myrtle Beach Memoirs".

When The Last Supper closes for repairs, the Harts take a family trip to Myrtle Beach where Wayne and Betty sit through a timeshare presentation, while Jenny competes in a mini-golf tournament with help from Violet.            

This one wasn't bad, but once again, I found myself losing interest before the end. Wayne and Betty ending up buying timeshares but getting released from their contract within a couple minutes was dissatisfying. At least Jenny won the tournament, although to be honest I am not sure why it took so long to realize something was wrong or how magnets only worked for her or why she didn't call "shenanigans" on them.

• Love 2

"Mega-Lo-Memories"

When the Harts want to continue their Thanksgiving tradition of Black Friday shopping instead of eating a meal as a family, Violet tries to show them the error of their ways. Meanwhile, Jenny and Wayne recall how they first met.

I liked the insanity of Black Friday, Violet's first drawing, and how Jenny and Wayne met.

"Miracle on Culpepper Slims Boulevard".

Louise invites the Harts and Brenda to her annual Christmas party in lieu of a bonus, the extravagance makes Jenny feel insecure about her own family's Christmas. Meanwhile, Betty tries to figure out how to give the family the best Christmas presents on a budget.

Once again, this one wasn't bad, but again, I found myself losing interest before the end. I'm close to giving up on this show.

Rebroadcast of Bless the Harts "Hug N' Bugs" on FOX - Sunday, December 29, 2019

Next new episode (SEASON FINALE): Episode 10 "Tying the Not" Sunday Jan. 5, 2020 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In order to prove that she's not afraid of marriage, Jenny decides to take things to the next level with Wayne. Meanwhile, Betty attempts to expose Crystalynn (guest voice Mary Steenburgen) as a liar after seeing her claim to have encountered a strangler on a popular crime show in the all-new "Tying the Not" season finale.

Edited by AnimeMania

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see the Bless the Harts panel! It hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

Bless the Harts
Join the Harts, in quarantine of course, for a Paint & Sip! Watch Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Ike Barinholtz, Jillian Bell and Fortune Feimster with executive producers Phil Lord, Chris Miller and Andy Bobrow try to recreate Bless The Harts characters while chatting about their favorite moments from season one, what they’re looking forward to in season two on FOX this Fall and how they’ve kept busy during quarantine while drinking the show's favorite drink -- boxed wine!

Bless The Harts Season 2 Season Premiere Episode 1 - Sunday, September 27 on FOX - 8:30 p.m.

Violet's Secret - Jenny and Betty secretly follow Violet, after becoming paranoid that she's making the same bad decisions they did as teenagers. Meanwhile, Wayne gets sued by Bobbie Nell.

"The Last Supper".

Jenny tries to make a commercial about Greenpoint when a new chain seafood restaurant threatens to put the Last Supper out of business.

I enjoyed it but the antics of the locals annoyed me and the ending was a bit too pat. 

"Dead Mall". The Harts visit Greenpoint's abandoned mall, which brings back fond memories from the 2000's, but their reminiscing is interrupted when a mall rat named Stacey takes them hostage (hey, it's Kristen Schaal!).

I'm still on the fence about this show, but I agree that they nailed the mall zeitgeist. How sad that they're all ghost towns now. 😭

I wasn't too fond of the obligatory Halloween ending, tho. 😒

Jenny is faced with rowdy clientele when she becomes the night manager at The Last Supper. Meanwhile, Betty and Brenda use a Pound Pinchers meeting to practice their comedy routine in the all-new "Pound Pinchers" episode of BLESS THE HARTS airing Sunday, Nov. 8 (8:31-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Wow, is no one watching this show?

"Trollin' With The Homies". Jenny and Wayne persuade Betty to get a job. Meanwhile, Violet and David's attempt to recruit a new friend backfires.

I wanted to like this episode, but everyone behaved terribly! Lessons learned, I guess?

13 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Wow, is no one watching this show?

I wanted to like this episode, but everyone behaved terribly! Lessons learned, I guess?

I watch it. I think some of the more recent episodes haven't been bad, but, yeah, they're pretty much terrible people who make consistently bad financial decisions, just like the Conners. I find that level of stupidity/ignorance hard to watch. 

• Love 1

I caught up on episodes on Hulu, and while there are some aspects I like, overall it just doesn't seem to work for me. One of the things I love about animated shows is the way they can build entire towns & communities. But the thing is, they built their towns of secondary characters relatively slowly. I think "Bless the Harts" has tried to build an entire community straight from the get-go so that there are too many characters to care about. 

I really don't like Jenny's fellow waitress at the restaurant. She's just a nasty person, and likely a sloppy, mean drunk who's unpleasant to be around. I'm not a fan of Violet, since she seemed to embody every teenage stereotype ever, but by giving her a stereotypical gay best friend seems to have balanced out her stereotypes. I think they've mellowed the character a little (even if the friend is a drama queen). I kind of liked the episode where the "friend" they auditioned ended up rejecting them.

While I realize it's a cartoon character, dang but I find Wayne a hot hunk of redneck beef (but then, I've always thought Ike Barinholtz, who voices Wayne, was hot on "MADTv"). I wasn't so keen on the most recent episode where Jenny yells at him for daring to parent Violet. Supposedly they've been a couple for 10 years, and she's never trusted him to discipline or look after the kid?

Were both Betty and Jenny single teenage mothers? At first I thought Betty's husband was dead, but now I think there never was one. I also thought Betty was in her 60s with delusions of still being a hot 20-year-old, but now I think she's probably in her 50s at most. No wonder they were so concerned that Violet was going down the same path they had gone down.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I caught up on episodes on Hulu, and while there are some aspects I like, overall it just doesn't seem to work for me. One of the things I love about animated shows is the way they can build entire towns & communities. But the thing is, they built their towns of secondary characters relatively slowly. I think "Bless the Harts" has tried to build an entire community straight from the get-go so that there are too many characters to care about. 

THAT'S what I've noticed! Every other show on the Fox lineup gradually built up its cast of supporting characters. This show dumped a ton of characters on us up front, and not a lot of them are interesting or pleasant to watch. I like Brenda (the other waitress) but she's not used that much. I do like that she comes from an entire family of Brendas.

As far as I know, they also never explained why Jenny is able to talk to Jesus (or at least a vision of him), not to mention he hasn't shown up much this season at all.

Duncanville has this problem, too (and I don't think that show is long for this world, either). The first episode alone not only introduces the five members of the family, but also Duncan's circle of friends and his teacher. I agree that those are too many characters to care about right away.

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Were both Betty and Jenny single teenage mothers? At first I thought Betty's husband was dead, but now I think there never was one

I'm dead certain the pile of ashes we saw in the first Halloween episode was indeed Betty's husband and Jenny's father, given how much they both cared about him. 

• Love 1

Was this the last episode? The montage of townspeople in the night sky while the Harts sat silently on the beach, ending with Jesus and then "Bless the Harts" on the moon would seem to imply that it was.

I'm kind of sorry it's over. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Was this the last episode? The montage of townspeople in the night sky while the Harts sat silently on the beach, ending with Jesus and then "Bless the Harts" on the moon would seem to imply that it was.

I'm kind of sorry it's over. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

Yes, this was the last one. That montage was in place of the original tag, which according to Andy Bobrow was the police officer driving the Harts home and Betty flashing a trucker.

18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I have been patiently waiting for Wayne's best friend, the black guy from Season 1, Episode 1, to return, but no such luck.

He was essentially replaced by Kenan Thompson's character.