Type keyword(s) to search

RuPaul’s Drag Race UK: Fierceness Across the Pond

• Start Topic

I'm thrilled with Danny Beard's win. Cheddar was a bit lacking in oomph in her medley lipsync and then faffed around with outfit removal during a park and bark torch song, which DB belted the bejesus out of, and emoted passionately. I also think that answer, 'Nothing will change,' regarding the win, was a misstep. Either would have been a fine winner, but I cheered when Danny won.

Starlet's fabulous toilet roll cover Barbie tulle crinoline was such a moment.

And I'm going to miss my weekly dose of Jonbers' good-natured laugh.

• Love 2

I was amused that Ru just dispensed with Black Peppa and Jonbers before the final lipsync because honestly if Black Peppa got to perform, it would be really hard to explain why she didn't win. "Not Your Time" seems right for her. Which is to say I hope she comes back in some future edition and slays like we know she can. Truly a Too Wong Foo unpolished queen ready to evolve.

I also dislike the say something to your younger selves moment in any season, but Cheddar got me good, girl. I've been very clear that she's been my queen the whole time, and for anyone who thinks she's been too good to win, I offer Bianca Del Rio. Everything about her is just so thoughtful. There's depth to her polish.

But I'm perfectly happy with Danny Beard's win because Danny is such a delight, and that wig into makeup look was truly top shelf. My only quibble is that I wish her hemline had been down to the floor. It would've been perfection. I found her hair and makeup kinda goofy for the performance, but this is the first time I've gotten to appreciate what great legs she has. Show 'em off, girl!

Also, I'm a huge fan of the club kid look and era, and I like that her take is explicitly taken from that. I think Cheddar's is too, but as Alan said, I'm sure Cheddar's loaded with references I don't know. Danny drawing that line from the club kid to her and being so polished on top of it is fashion thinking. Very smart of her to call it out given the roots of Ru and Michelle.

Jonbers Blonde has earned my begrudging respect, and I shouldn't be down on her given that she's clearly gone through a lot to be where she is now. But by the skin of your teeth, girl. She's evolved, but imagine if that shield was a hat. It would've elevated that look so much more. She can perform though, and she truly is game for anything. I can't hate.

Lastly it was delightful to see the winners again. For all that people were disappointed that Lawrence won -- and I get why -- she truly is a polished queen with so much personality. I think she looked the best out of the winners, and she remains practical to boot. The runway of eliminated queens was lovely too -- that look from Starlet. Oh my god. Now THAT is finale eleganza!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Rai said:

that look from Starlet. 

I've never been big on Lewk Queens, but Starlet, Willow Pill, and Utica -- as well as this week's runway from Canada vs. The World - - have nudged me toward wanting an All Stars season that focusses on fashion and performative art. It wouldn't even be that hard to tweak the challenges to play to these strengths, and I could do with a break from those interminable acting and improv challenges.

• Love 3

Although this season started strongly, for half the season it was a two queen race. And much like last season, the ending seemed written before the beginning.

I'm fine with a Danny Beard win, but the UK series seems to be going through a predictable phase.

• Love 1

There is no question the final four were worthy, but I also felt a little deflated last half of the season. I guess cuz I loved Starlet and Dakota and felt they didn't really stand a chance this season cuz they were not what Ru was looking for.  

I do think Cheddar was stronger across all challenges, but Danny made Ru laugh a lot, even during the say something to your inner child moment, and Danny's looks, while not my style, were polished too, so cheers! 

• Love 4

During the tic-tac segment Michelle and Rupaul had the same color skin. Interesting. 

Did the Queens write their own lyrics for the performance? I may have missed something but I don't remember them saying one way or the other. 

I'm not mad about Danny winning. She was really funny and seemed a genuine personality. Cheddar did herself NO favors by giving the ol' ambivalent reaction to being crowned. 

Wow, they really sanded off all the personality that made DR:UK special in the first place, didn't they? They quirky and fun premieres of the past have been replaced by something that's just a retread of anything that could come out of the Mother Ship these days. The "show us where you're from!" runways of years past have always been richly rewarding, whereas the concept of this episode was wonky (where was the runway for the entrance looks?!) and the execution mediocre. I was crossing my fingers that we'd have a queen from Shitterton who would work her town's notoriety into a particularly memorable look, but no such luck.

And the "international" addition of Cara Melle just makes this seem like DRUS season 15.5. The queens seem fun, but no one's really standing out for me at this point even though the confessionals want to push us in certain directions. I liked S4; this is a serious step back to the mess of S3.

• Like 1

I liked it. Good number of seasoned queens. A lot of really good entrance looks. A few heartwarming backstories. The appearance and comments of the visiting international queens as runway judges. Quite a diverse main runway. Kristen McMenamy having a hoot as a panel judge. A nice little surprise with the placements. Sminty's little buddy getting a shock.

I wasn't keen on Cara Melle, but she does live in the UK now, and I enjoyed her dance moves.

Banksie is interesting, but I really like Kate Butch, Vicky, Ginger, and Alexis.

• Like 2

Kristen McMenamy was killing me!  I wish she could replace Michelle!  I did love Banksie, but she needs more seasoning.  She was terrified.  I really enjoyed Kate Butch, but I don't remember any of the other's names.  LOL. This was better than this years Down Under, but then my local preschool could do a better season than Down Under.  I really liked the 2 older queens and the polish queen. I wouldn't really be bothered by the really squared faced queen - the first one in the workroom.  She was awkward.

• Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Kristen McMenamy was killing me!  I wish she could replace Michelle!  I did love Banksie, but she needs more seasoning.  She was terrified.  I really enjoyed Kate Butch, but I don't remember any of the other's names.  LOL. This was better than this years Down Under, but then my local preschool could do a better season than Down Under.  I really liked the 2 older queens and the polish queen. I wouldn't really be bothered by the really squared faced queen - the first one in the workroom.  She was awkward.

I hope we can all remember these names soon, because I have no idea who you mean lol.

As for faces though, there's something about Michael Marouli's that creates cognitive dissonance in me.

• Like 3

I liked both episodes so far! The UK Queens always have the most cheek to them, in my opinion. Kate Butch and Ginger Johnson won't win, but they're two of my favorite personalities so far, so I hope they stick around for interview entertainment. I will say I couldn't understand most of them when they were all doing the first walk into the werkroom thing. That's on me though, as a bland American.

I do enjoy the "show me where you're from" element the UK Queens generally do, so yeah, would've preferred that over the club part of the ball. But it was nice to see some familiar faces too. And when Jimbo compliments your tits, well. You got some ones.

I got a lot of thoughts on the second episode ranking, but at least the correct queen won. That outfit was perfection for the challenge. Exactly what the judges look for. I haven't watched any Drag Race stuff since falling out of season 15 midway, so I'm rested and ready to enjoy myself!

• Like 5
On 10/6/2023 at 10:54 AM, Rai said:

I got a lot of thoughts on the second episode ranking,

If all those thoughts are about Tomara's inexplicable high placement, then yes, yes, and yes. I knew that the panel was going to start gaslighting Cara Melle to stir up some drama, but come on

Banksie deserves a second badge for namedropping Dakota. I've been pretty good this year -- can we get Dakota back on our screens now? Please?

• Like 2

yes Tomara in the top was a WTF! Kate Butch could have been Top3 (she's giving me Lawrence Chaney/ Bendela hybrid) . They just wanted both Tomara and Cara on stage longer to stir the drama. 

DeeDee and Banksie were the clear top 2 but I can see DeeDee getting Janned out of any potential wins. 

Also not seeing any mention of the tea that there was an 11th queen that was edited out of the first 2 episodes. Nancy Drews have been pausing and zooming for any signs of her but I must say the editors have done an excellent job. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I've got more to say! And I'm gonna say it: Ginger maybe should've been in the bottom. But DEFINITELY Tomara should've been as well. Or at least just safe. It's literally a bodysuit with stuff glued on it, MICHELLE.

Kate Butch's outfit, however, was beautifully made. The judges don't seem to be on her groove so far, and I know she kind of enjoys that, but honestly, I thought it was really well made. Like what Tina Burner tried to do with her monster look, only, you know, accomplished. And I have no idea why Vicki Vivacious wasn't in the top. That was a real triumph of repurposing difficult materials. Maybe they don't want an obvious frontrunner, but Vicki over Tomara all the way.

The guest judge also was wild. Alexa's dress slit negated her whole skirt. That's not the perfect height. It's too high. I sort of thought Alexa had more range in her performance, but Miss Naomi Carter had so much energy that fit the song, so I'm not mad at the elimination.

I wouldn't have known about the mysterious 11th queen if I hadn't read about her in a recap, so I also will applaud the editing job. Especially for the wide shots in the minichallenge! Very impressive.

• Like 1

I will always watch the UK version cuz I think Graham Norton and Alan Carr are hilarious. Especially off the cuff. I see them on other UK shows and their wit rarely disappoints. Graham's aside about how the problem with the Polish queen's fish funeral presentation... "and with all funerals, is that they are kind of one note." Had me and Ru laughing. UK also the most interesting guest judges. 

I am really liking Kate Butch. 

Why was this mysterious 11th queen let go?! 

• Like 1
On 10/6/2023 at 6:39 AM, Starchild said:
On 10/3/2023 at 3:37 PM, hatchetgirl said:

I wouldn't really be bothered by the really squared faced queen - the first one in the workroom.  She was awkward.

I hope we can all remember these names soon, because I have no idea who you mean lol.

Tamara?  The one who is the roomate of Cara...  blond, really strong face, reminds me of the Richards sisters for RHOBH.  LOL

On 10/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, hatchetgirl said:

I wouldn't really be bothered by the really squared faced queen - the first one in the workroom.  She was awkward.

That's Sminty's friend, DeDeLicious.

No, it isn't! It is Tomara Thomas.

Edited by violet and green
correction

Haha well in short, it's a Cherry Pie type of sitch, except this time no wrongdoing has been admitted, so allegations are as yet unproven.

But the video is worth watching if you're interested in their editing prowess, as it does show you some shots where you can just barely see that there is indeed another person there.

• Useful 1

I wasted some of my limited brainpower trying to figure out how they got the redacted queen out of the show in an untelevised lip sync in between episode one and two (or was it two and three)... I wish I'd left well enough alone and never heard about the eleventh queen.

Edited by violet and green
added confusion
On 10/10/2023 at 3:19 PM, violet and green said:

No, it isn't! It is Tomara Thomas.

Yes.  Tomara Thomas.  :)  She's hilarious, but she sure seems a lot older and mature than she is claiming.  lol

Ok - Banksie is by far my favorite, followed by Kate Butch, Ginger Johnson and Michael Marouli.  I'm not a fan of DeDe or Cara at all.  

• Like 2

Episode 3 - Girl Group Challenge

Everybody got the challenge wrong. The phrase “Don’t yuck (ick) my yum” isn’t about stating what you don’t like, it’s about saying what you do like even if others might find it disgusting, like say, putting someone’s sweaty stockinged foot in your mouth while miming playing the sax.

Having said that, the first group is continuing the streak of UK girl group powerhouse performances.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to find more than mild enjoyment with this season, although "Disaster Classes" is probably the best episode of the season to date, and largely because of the "Party" skit, which was great. It was refreshing to see Tomara in a less obnoxious light this episode, although I still wouldn't be mad if we eliminated everyone but Ginger, Kate Butch, and Banksie right now and just had the three of them for the rest of the season.

At this stage of drag race, at least the ones with Ru as host, I generally find them cozy like slipping on old shoes or something. Kate Butch and Ginger are the confessional queens, bless them. But Ginger has definitely underwhelmed with the fashion so far. They're all interesting in their own way, and Michael Marouli keeps bringing it hard, which I honestly did not expect. Banksie is probably my favorite all-around, partly because of the Cheddar Gorgeous connection, partly because I love a smart queen. But Cara Melle is so pretty and talented, and Tomara keeps surprising me and Vicki has something going on...

It's a strong group for me. I generally enjoy the UK girls the most*. They're so witty and stronger all-around performers. I just don't understand why they can't translate that to lip syncs. That's always where I get let down.

I get it if people aren't feeling the spark anymore, but I'm not going to complain about a cozy hour with some fierce and funny dolls.

*Of the English-speaking shows. Overall, Spain has been my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am enjoying this season generally more than seasons 3 and 4 - lots of personalities here. 

I am envisioning Cara Mel winning (so far I think she has had the best overall package despite slipping up here and there) but Banksie has been quite a surprise (mainly with the excellent runways) and so has Tomara (she has Nerve). 

I am rooting for Kate and Ginger but their runways have been underwhelming. This week Ginger looked like an Oompa Loompa vacationing on Mars perhaps lol.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2023 at 5:02 PM, Rai said:

But Cara Melle is so pretty and talented

And self-centered and insecure.

I have to say, I'd never expected to see Susan Boyle as a lipsync option, but there you go.

Sorry to see Banksie go, she was high on my list.

• Like 1

I wasn't upset by Ginger's Snatch Game win, although I thought Kate had the best jokes. I was pleased that Tomara didn't win with her Mrs. Doubtfire impersonation, as I've never seen the appeal of that creepy stalker movie or its central performance.

Ginger takes it all, then? It's clear that Kate has been crowned "quirky queen" and isn't going to win this, and I just don't see Cara Melle, Tomara, or Michael Marouli taking this, either.

On 10/24/2023 at 2:16 AM, Wonderlad71 said:

I am envisioning Cara Mel winning (so far I think she has had the best overall package despite slipping up here and there) 

I must admit that she's been growing on me. While I'm not sure that Drag Race is the best venue for her talents -- I want to see her in some type of performative dance setting -- she's got an undeniable presence on screen. 

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1

I think Kate will do great on an All Stars. The looks are not there yet (by comparison Lawrence Chaney as a quirky comedy queen was the full package from the get go).As a Kate Bush fan I appreciate the effort but something is missing.

Ginger is delightful. The looks are a bit wonky but she gets credit for  making them herself. still not sure if she is going to win even with 3 badges.

This week I may have given the win to Tomara. 

DeDeLicious is turning into a bit of a LipSync assassin.

I actually think Michael Marouli is the dark horse. I love Ginger, but I don't think her looks are on the level Ru wants. She was the clear winner of Snatch Game for me though.

I know logically that Kate Butch isn't going to make it because of her looks, but Ru just does not seem to find her all that funny, and I can't figure out why. I know I'm biased because of the confessionals, but in the work room or in a challenge, I still think Kate is hilarious. Maybe it's that thing of if the first impression didn't wow Ru, nothing will.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Rai said:

I know logically that Kate Butch isn't going to make it because of her looks, but Ru just does not seem to find her all that funny,...

Yes Michael has a shot at the win for sure. She's been very consistent. 

Oh I think Ru likes Kate very much - she's put her in the top 3 weeks in a row. 

• Like 1

Well, there you have it: fan-favourite Kate Butch's likely final hurrah before she's punted off...to the happy afterlife of countless Drag Race spinoffs and AS sesons! She was really good this episode, too, so I'm thrilled with her win.

I just can't see her doing well at all next week, bless her. 

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 3

Yes congrats to Kate - she and Ginger were hilarious in Holedark and that was a great runway. 

Personally I would have put Dede and Tomara in the bottom for those basic runways. Bye to Cara - I know she rubbed some people up the wrong way but I think much of it was just youthful hubris - I think she will be great on an All Stars/ Vs the World.

• Like 3

I'm so mad at the critique that Femmily Bronte didn't look like Kate's sister. It was the exact same face. Maybe it was the wigs? I admit, I HATED the skirt Femmily was wearing, but still.

Well, it was inevitable, but I thought Kate's lipsync was strong enough for a double save. I do have to give DeDe props though. I thought Kate's actorly lipsync would be enough to save her, but DeDe pulled that aspect off and then some. I thought BeBe didn't look particularly great, and I don't know why DeDe keeps making herself forty years older than she is, but I can't deny her lipsync abilities. Wow.

Also inevitable was Michael Morouli's win, and I'm not anywhere near mad about it. A solid transformation with the loveliest game makeover candidate. Geeza Minouli was authentically touching, and I loved all of this for him.

I was speechless over Daphne Guinness as the guest judge. WOW! That's some star power at the table. And she looked incredible.

Hated Tomara's wigs. If you're talking about hard wiglines, she and G had some of the hardest, and Tomara couldn't keep it out of her face. And there was something unresolved about the wig styling. They looked cute and had great energy, but talk about resting on pretty. Often that's Tomara for me.

And just to round it out, I hated the shade of Ginger's foundation. But the outfits were very fun. Rodrigo absolutely has a baby face under that beard, he wasn't kidding.

I knew Kate wouldn't win and probably wouldn't make the finals. But she's been a huge part of why this season has been so fun. Luvya, meanit!

• Like 4

I guess this penultimate episode shook out as expected. From the ones left, I would be happy with either Ginger or Michael winning. I like Tomara but I don't think she's quite at the level of the other two right now.

ETA: is it wrong of me to wonder if the illness that kept Cara away from tonight's reunion was food poisoning (specifically, sour grapes)?

Edited by Starchild
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

This was a pretty great episode, with a fun main challenge and a good-to-great runway. Favourite part: the rattlesnake-of-doom sound effect during the microsecond when Ginger appeared to fumble some non-existent card. Which then became the Major Plot Device of judging. Seriously: Michelle looked great, but has never seemed to be so superfluous in an episode. Couldn't they just have critiqued Ginger's ugly paint instead?

I have no idea who the guest judge is, and it's clear that most of the queens didn't either, although it's always fun to watch them drum up excitement for someone who's drawing a blank in their minds. She seemed game enough, though, and seemed to be more animated that Ru, who is becoming more animatronic than Brooke Lynn these days. Time to head back to your Wyoming ranch for a dip in those petrotherapy pools, RuPaul!

• LOL 1

This felt correct, although Michael would have as well. That really was a tough decision for Ru.

I felt it might have been some of the things that Ginger said about personal struggle that put her over the top, that bullfight metaphor was brilliant.

On a tangent, how lovely is Ginger's partner Ben? An odd couple who really seem to love and appreciate each other, it was really nice to see.

I love Ginger and think she's one of the funniest, smartest queens ever to compete, which is saying something. I just didn't think her looks were ever up to winner status. Including her final look! It's a great look, but final eleganza? I don't know. I do like her eye makeup more than Michael Morouli's though.

I felt Michael Morouli was the better all-around queen because her looks were really elevated. So I sort of feel like Michael was a bit robbed. But again, I LOVE Ginger. No actual complaints!

I'm sure Tomara is aloveable delight, but god,she exhausted me in the final episode. And the roast. And...well, anyway, she'll probably be back at some point, but I'm glad she was a lovely second runner-up. That eleganza look was stunning though. She can really glam it up old-school when she chooses to do so.

• Like 3