Type keyword(s) to search

Designing Women - General Discussion

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I know Charlene was worried when Bill went off to war, but my God she really needed to take a chill pill. She talks about all the stuff she has been sending him and she hasn't heard back from him. Um, he was in combat. It's hard to pause a war to dash off a note to the honey telling her how good her snickerdoodles were.

I never cared much for Bill. He just seemed kind of bland.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. He was kind of meh. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. He was kind of meh. 

He was almost like a Ken doll in that he was just a walking mannequin that represented the perfect man for an all American girl like Charlene. The other ladies’ boyfriends were much more interesting.

I read that American tv likes to underplay class division much more than happens in real life. The person who grew up privileged will not care about their romantic partner’s humble up bringing has almost become a trope in movies and film. When I read that I remembered Bill standing up to his snooty mama to defend Charlene. That is the main thing that I remember him doing.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

He was almost like a Ken doll in that he was just a walking mannequin that represented the perfect man for an all American girl like Charlene. The other ladies’ boyfriends were much more interesting.

I read that American tv likes to underplay class division much more than happens in real life. The person who grew up privileged will not care about their romantic partner’s humble up bringing has almost become a trope in movies and film. When I read that I remembered Bill standing up to his snooty mama to defend Charlene. That is the main thing that I remember him doing.

I also think that he was supposed to be this ideal man and Charlene struck gold with his perfection. I agree, the other guys were much more interesting. I always like Hal Holbrook. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I also think that he was supposed to be this ideal man and Charlene struck gold with his perfection. I agree, the other guys were much more interesting. I always like Hal Holbrook. 

Remember when he asked Julia to get married so “they could raise the bird together”.

I also agree with the poster who said the ladies seem much older than ladies of the same age today. They never seem to have trouble attracting nice looking financially stable men. I think the dating world is much worse today for women in their 30’s 

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I never cared much for Bill. He just seemed kind of bland.

Their relationship was dull as dishwater.  I don't dislike him, but one of the only scenes of the two of them I actually like is the one where they're upstairs arguing* and the others are downstairs listening to it on the baby monitor.  A moment of realism in a sea of treacly goop.

The other long-term romantic relationships were much more natural.

*It's a testament to Jean Smart that I enjoy that storyline, because postpartum woman becomes irrationally convinced her husband is cheating is beyond tired, but she played the exhausted emotion well.  And even pulled off the petty revenge with her spot-on delivery -- when he finds out she sent all his dirty laundry out for cleaning and he thus won't have any underwear to take on his mission, and she says (thinking he's having an affair with his co-pilot), "Well, that'll save you some time once you're airborne," I laugh out loud.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Their relationship was dull as dishwater.  I don't dislike him, but one of the only scenes of the two of them I actually like is the one where they're upstairs arguing* and the others are downstairs listening to it on the baby monitor.  A moment of realism in a sea of treacly goop.

The other long-term romantic relationships were much more natural.

*It's a testament to Jean Smart that I enjoy that storyline, because postpartum woman becomes irrationally convinced her husband is cheating is beyond tired, but she played the exhausted emotion well.  And even pulled off the petty revenge with her spot-on delivery -- when he finds out she sent all his dirty laundry out for cleaning and he thus won't have any underwear to take on his mission, and she says (thinking he's having an affair with his co-pilot), "Well, that'll save you some time once you're airborne," I laugh out loud.

It was dull. There was no banter or spark there. Though I remember that storyline and it was funny. The only time I liked the two of them together. 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree, the other guys were much more interesting. I always like Hal Holbrook. 

Dixie Carter was married to Hal Holbrook. Delta Burke was married to her love interest on the show Gerald McRaney. And Jean Smart was married in real life to Mary Jo's love interest JD played by Richard Gilliland.  I remember feeling sorry for Annie Potts because she didn't get to hang out with her husband at work.

• LOL 3
35 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I remember feeling sorry for Annie Potts because she didn't get to hang out with her husband at work.

Well, she kept marrying ADs/producers/writers instead of actors.  🙂

It's funny how this series spawned two marriages (and two marriages that are still ongoing); Carter and Holbrook were married at the start, but the other two couples started dating because they met doing the show.  It's even more intertwined:  Delta Burke knew Richard Gilliland coming into the show, as they had briefly dated before, and she thought he and Jean Smart would be good together.  The wedding was in Dixie Carter's backyard. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, she kept marrying ADs/producers/writers instead of actors.  🙂

It's funny how this series spawned two marriages (and two marriages that are still ongoing); Carter and Holbrook were married at the start, but the other two couples started dating because they met doing the show.  It's even more entwined:  Delta Burke knew Richard Gilliland coming into the show, as they had briefly dated before, and she thought he and Jean Smart would be good together.  The wedding was in Dixie Carter's backyard. 

How neat! I didn't know that. My mom saw Delta Burke and Gerald McRaney sometime after they were married in New Orleans and said how happy they looked and how gorgeous she was. 

• Love 4
Just now, libgirl2 said:

How neat! I didn't know that.

They talked about it at a Paley Center (then The Museum of Television & Radio) panel, a portion of which is included on the season one DVD set (the whole thing is available in the museum's library; I need to remember to go watch it some time [I maybe did back in the day, but don't remember]).  Burke didn't tell Smart she and Gilliland had dated when she was talking him up to her.

• LOL 3
On 9/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, Giuseppe said:

Julia didn't exactly "take on" Primmy, but she didn't roll over either. She was very passive aggressive at first, taking little digs at her masked as jokes.

Every once in a while when I'm practicing self-care, as the kids call it, I think of Primmy asking if there's any lavender for her bath, and Julia answering, "No, but we do have some 20 Mule Team Borax."

I knew Jean Smart and Richard Gilliland got together on the show, but I never knew it was Delta Burke who hooked them up. I love that. And that he was her ex to boot. If those "unauthorized" behind-the-scenes biopics were still in fashion, I would be thrilled with one about the DW set.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 4:28 PM, blondiec0332 said:

Dixie Carter was married to Hal Holbrook. Delta Burke was married to her love interest on the show Gerald McRaney. And Jean Smart was married in real life to Mary Jo's love interest JD played by Richard Gilliland.  I remember feeling sorry for Annie Potts because she didn't get to hang out with her husband at work.

Omg, I never knew that real life JD and RL  Charlene were married. I love it!

Edited by Coffeewinewater

I don't have a favorite episode of the series, but I think that "The Junies" is just about perfect. I abhor the thought of a reboot of this series, but I imagine a lot of the "warm chattering" taking place in supermarkets would take place on social media. I have a friend who's a salesperson for a certain multi-level marketing weight loss scheme and I know she's being told to post success stories daily with before and after pictures.

This episode is cleverly written with many good lines. I love how the women of Sugarbakers work their positions in the design firm when trying to retrieve Charlene from the Junies. Julia is the boss and the chief de-progammer. Mary Jo is her assistant and also a Greek chorus. Suzanne is schooled in the art of schmoozing clients and she probably had Libby Coker thinking she actually knew her from way back.

The actress who plays June Randolph is terrific.

• Love 3

I searched high and low for this topic! 

I. FLOVE Designing Women. Dixie Carter was amazing in this show. I have more to say, but I'm happy I found my people. 

RIP Dixie Carter, Mr. Taylor, and RIP Jane Hooks. 

Edited by Queena
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TV 3D said:

Antenna TV is adding Designing Women to their schedule in January 2020! I only have vague memories of the old Lifetime reruns as a kid. I'm looking forward to watching this show as an adult; I've always had a soft spot for Jan Hooks and Annie Potts!

It's on Hulu. I've been binging the past few weeks. This show is good enough to watch 5x.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:24 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

https://fetv.tv/

I had to stop watching once the dreadful Season Six began.  I realize that the cast departures were unavoidable, but the show really lost its way with Julia Duffy/Jan Hooks/Judith Ivey.  Independently, they were all fine actresses, but horribly mis-cast and mis-used. 

Seasons 3/4/5 were some of the best TV of that era. A great mix of silly and not-so-silly. And despite all the behind-the-scenes upheaval, the cast sparkled.

It's too bad they rushed into trying to re-create the foursome.  They should have added Sheryl Lee Ralph much much sooner, perhaps as a partner rather than trying to extend Meshach Taylor's 15 minutes of fame.   Alice Ghostley brought the best mix of charm and dizzy.  From what I recall, they rushed to get her back on the air when the Duffy/Hooks additions were spiraling toward disaster.  They should have never used Jan Hooks as Charlene's sister.  She would have played much better as a bookish know-it-all than some divorced country hayseed.

I loved season 6. Mr. Smathers will never not be funny. Carlene's first apartment... Funny stuff. 

I also find BJ Poteet funny. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Queena said:

I loved season 6. Mr. Smathers will never not be funny. Carlene's first apartment... Funny stuff.

The Mr. Smathers episode and Carlene's apartment are side-splitting hysterical to me. I also love the two-part season opener where Alison first arrives and is pissing everyone off, and Julia finally calls her from within the office to privately go off on her and turn Alison's annoying "bird on your head" analogy around on her.  I mean, season six definitely isn't the show's prime, but definitely had some great episodes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

The Mr. Smathers episode and Carlene's apartment are side-splitting hysterical to me. I also love the two-part season opener where Alison first arrives and is pissing everyone off, and Julia finally calls her from within the office to privately go off on her and turn Alison's annoying "bird on your head" analogy around on her.  I mean, season six definitely isn't the show's prime, but definitely had some great episodes.

The huge desk was funny too. I thought that by season 6 and 7 Anthony was a really strong character. However, his best episoded were with Suzanne. For Dixie Carter to not believe any of her 'liberal' rants she sure sold it. I've been going off a la Julia Sugarbaker style since the 90s. 

• Love 2

"Old Rebels and Young Models" is an episode I could watch over and over. Julia's rant about Mrs. Chesley's less than charming behavior as a house guest is hysterical. You may recall Mrs. Chesley was Mary Jo's former teacher Miss Eulalie Crown's friend at the nursing home who stayed overnight with Julia with disastrous results. It would have been funny enough to watch that old lady sit and drunkenly heckle the cast of "Jake and the Fat Man" and berate Julia's bathroom and her smelly mop, but Julia's recap is just so funny.

• Love 1

Hello!  I watched this series when it originally aired and enjoyed it.  Now it is on FETV, two eps a night 🙄but I am glad for at least that.  

Just watched S7 E17.  Carlene’s BF is a cross dresser and shows up at SB’s in a dress.  It was 1993 and the ladies acted almost like an alien walked in.  OK it is the Deep South, but I thought they were more sophistica........ok, never mind.  Still love this show.  

I loved all the characters, original and replacements.  Nice diversion in the dark times.  Happy New Years to all.🥳

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

Hello!  I watched this series when it originally aired and enjoyed it.  Now it is on FETV, two eps a night but I am glad for at least that.  

Just watched S7 E17.  Carlene’s BF is a cross dresser and shows up at SB’s in a dress.  It was 1993 and the ladies acted almost like an alien walked in.  OK it is the Deep South, but I thought they were more sophistica........ok, never mind.  Still love this show.  

I loved all the characters, original and replacements.  Nice diversion in the dark times.  Happy New Years to all.🥳

My parents loved the show from day 1 and I had to watch it with them along with my grandparents who passed away just before 92. Good memories. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just looked at the FETV schedule and DW is only on at 3:00 AM and 3:30 AM.  Miss that show!

That’s why I love my DVR........working away while I sleep and then something fun to watch with my morning coffee.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, Giuseppe said:

You may be mis-remembering. Julia didn't exactly "take on" Primmy, but she didn't roll over either. She was very passive aggressive at first, taking little digs at her masked as jokes. But at the end of the visit, she got Primmy in a room alone and pretty much went off on her. Payne overheard and realized that Primmy was basically using him as her annual fall fling, and then he acted like he knew the whole time and just wanted to experience it for himself. I think they still ended up leaving together, but at least Julia knew that it wasn't anything serious and they'd probably break up soon.

I saw this episode very recently. 

I re-watched season one recently, and they must have changed the air order of some episodes around, because at the end of "Old Spouses Never Die", Mary Jo and J.D. finally sleep together (and exchange "I love you"s and tell their their exes they intend to build a life together), yet in the season finale, "Bachelor Suite", they haven't had sex yet, she's just meeting his kids, and they're at the "I really care about you and want to make this exclusive" stage.  I'm not sure whether Spouses got moved up, Bachelor Suite got held back, or both, but they're out of order. 

I know they, as was typical with sitcoms, did that a fair bit - look at how Charlene's desk chair and/or the couch are new, then the old one(s) are back, then the new, etc. - but I never noticed that particular bit of discontinuity before.  And it creates a particularly big gap; they air ten episodes apart from each other.

Edited by Bastet

I'm now one disc into season three in my re-watch, and it's not as if I've never noticed this before, and the episode is still hilarious, but the fundamental flaw of "Reservations for 12, Plus Ursula" - that the Ursula situation exists in the first place because of the kids' presence, yet nothing about that makes sense - bugs me:

First, Charlene tells her parents Mary Jo and J.D. are bringing their kids, except Claudia, who is on a ski trip.  So that should be four kids - Mary Jo's Quint, and J.D.'s Rex, Hannah, and Burt.  Add Reese's two grandkids, and there should be six kids.  Except there are five, all little (and none of them being the actors who previously played Quint, Hannah, and Burt, there's just some random, barely-seen group of five children).  The live-in au pair for a long weekend makes even less sense if there are teenagers to help keep an eye on the little ones, so I understand Rex not being there from a storytelling standpoint, but they should have thrown in a line explaining his absence like Claudia's.

Fundamentally, why in all hell do SEVEN adults, four of whom are parents, need an au pair to stay with them for a long weekend to help take care of five kids?  Five is how many Mary Jo and J.D. have between them, and just the two of them didn't need to hire help when they went to a local hotel for the weekend.  But add five more adults, to what is planned as a family vacation, and suddenly they need another set of eyes and hands?

When Reese blows off the objections to the old lady they'd just interviewed, he says all she has to do is sit there if they want to go to a movie, and J.D. says when the kids are at the beach at least one of them will be with them*.  And that scenario - hiring a babysitter to watch the kids one evening while the adults go out - makes sense.  Having an au pair board with them does not.

*But, of course, as the guys are headed to the beach with the kids, Ursula shows up, so they not only decide to sit in on the interview, they send the kids on ahead alone!

With that said, the episode is hilarious.  Delta Burke's line delivery when Suzanne tells Mary Jo, "I mean, here you have this gorgeous girl who gets up at 5:30, cooks your boyfriend's breakfast, then goes jogging with him.  And what do you do?  You're in the bathroom trying her brassiere on your head!" is perfection.  As is Charlene's initial, "Mary Jo!  You put her bra on your head?!" reaction.  And, of course, Mary Jo's compulsion in the first place.  "Suzanne's fits me like a beanie, but Ursula's covered my whole face."

I also love when Julia smacks Reese on the butt when he tries to roll over and go back to sleep.

And other than the parenting/grandparenting fail, the characterization is right on -- Suzanne is the only one who takes on Ursula herself; the others aren't annoyed with her, they're annoyed with how the guys react to her, including right in front of them.

• Love 2

Suzanne taking on Ursula is the best part of this episode. And then, after Ursula gets the message & goes to pack her bags, my favorite scene: Suzanne adjusts her little crown headband, singing a little song to herself or says something about her friends. It's been a while since I've seen the show.

46 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And then, after Ursula gets the message & goes to pack her bags, my favorite scene: Suzanne adjusts her little crown headband, singing a little song to herself or says something about her friends. It's been a while since I've seen the show.

I love her putting that crown back on.  There's only room for one queen bee.

Yes, she hums a little ditty, and then toasts in the direction of the bedroom where everyone is sleeping, "Well, girls, Happy Vacation."

I also love Suzanne in "Big Haas and Little Falsie", when she says to Mary Jo (re. training bras), "You little people have to train yours, and you call us dumb?" 

I just love that they made an entire episode about how society treats breast size.  "These things are power!"  Annie Potts has said women still come up to her on the street and do that line.

The next disc, which I'll watch tonight, includes "The Wilderness Experiment" and I can't wait.  "Some white girl."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I just love that they made an entire episode about how society treats breast size.  "These things are power!"  Annie Potts has said women still come up to her on the street and do that line.

Some of the most hilarious moments in any television show, ever. The way Julia just downs her drink in one gulp after Mary Jo asks the man if he would have come over to talk to them if her breasts were not as large as they were......LOLOL.......

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Taryn74 said:

The way Julia just downs her drink in one gulp after Mary Jo asks the man if he would have come over to talk to them if her breasts were not as large as they were......LOLOL.......

And that was all Dixie Carter, not the script; she couldn't keep a straight face after Annie Potts delivered that line, so she came up with a reason to turn her back to the camera -- Julia would turn back to the bar to down her drink.

• LOL 2

I'm taking such comfort in revisiting this show right now.  No matter how many times I watch it, I never fail to marvel at the writing and the acting.  The way Linda Bloodworth-Thomason (and later Pamela Norris, but Linda remained the master) explicitly addressed issues big and small with honesty, heart, and humor is masterful, but wouldn't have succeeded as it did without the delivery. 

And while the line delivery on the big moments is legendary, the little things they did are just as great.  For all of Julia's epic rants, one of the funniest things Dixie Carter ever did was ask, "What'd she say?" when Suzanne mumbles the item she is peddling is edible underwear.

And when Charlene recounts the "There's no need for introductions, Ray Don" encounter to remind Julia who the IRS auditor is, the way Jean Smart imitates Julia every time she says the name Ray Don is pure art.

The way they all play off each other is truly something to behold, and a large part of why the show endures.  I remember an article about that wonderful reunion special they did for Lifetime (which was airing the show in syndication, to great success) noting that Hal Holbrook said, during a break in its filming, how lovely it was to revisit the show because they all loved each other, and they all had such wonderful craftsmanship.  He's right, and that combination shines through, and it's timeless.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The way they all play off each other is truly something to behold, and a large part of why the show endures. 

I agree. You really get the impression they all care deeply for each other, as characters and as real-life people, even when they are driving each other crazy (as all people do from time to time).

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

And while the line delivery on the big moments is legendary, the little things they did are just as great.

For sure. Some of my favorite moments are the little 'blink and you'll miss them' scenes. Julia answering "He said we're all dying" when one of the ladies asked her what Reese thought of the dying man who wanted to spend one perfect night with Julia. And leading up to that, the guy dropping off the letter (telegram?) and mistaking Suzanne for Julia. "I'm sorry, I've made a terrible mistake." "That's alright, it can be corrected" leaves me in stitches. Delta's line reading is golden.

Ha, another one I just remembered is when Monette is debating with Julia about whether or not being a prostitute casts a bad light on all women. "Isn't that your sister?" "Yes. She diminishes us too, but her I can deal with." LOLOL.

(Caveat: It's been years since I've seen this show. I may be misremembering the exact wording of some of the lines.)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

And while the line delivery on the big moments is legendary, the little things they did are just as great.

Julia:  “I’m going to need the spelling of your name”  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

"The Rowdy Girls" is another one where I have to just accept that the situation setting the stage for hilarious hijinks would never have actually happened to begin with:  When Suzanne showed up covered in black make-up, Julia would have hog tied her and shoved her in a closet rather than just warning her not to get on stage with them, not to mention letting her go out there with Anthony.  The talent show was a competition (and fundraiser of some sort?) among design firms, so both acts represent Sugarbaker's; Julia wouldn't want the bad publicity of one of the firm's partners going on stage in blackface (especially after she promised the local NAACP chapter it wouldn't happen)!

"Suzanne, Dustin Hoffman would never play Martin Luther King; that part would go to a black actor."
"Well, I think that's racist."

I also watched the episode where Mary Jo pretends - to impress her snooty classmate Belva - the grand mansion they're decorating is her home, a home to which Anthony crawls after escaping Suzanne's house where he's about to be injected with collagen, and the homeowners come home a day early to find this motley crew.  Julia's explanation cracks me up:  "I'm terribly sorry.  Against billion to one odds, I seem to have three friends who have lost their minds at the exact same time."

I love in the episode with Charlene's baby shower when she describes running into people who haven't seen her since the wedding:  "I have never seen so many people mentally counting to nine."

In case anyone doesn't know/remember this little bit of DW trivia:  Jean Smart found out she was pregnant while filming the episode in which Charlene and Bill get married, and thought, "Boy, they married her off just in time."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Does anyone remember that wonderful character actor, Leslie Jordan? He was on DW but I can't remember his role (even though I adored him!) There's an article about him in the Washington Post this week. He lives in TN right now. Still a scamp! I don't think he played that bellhop who was the accountant who ran off with Suzanne's money--another outstanding character on that show.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone remember that wonderful character actor, Leslie Jordan? He was on DW but I can't remember his role (even though I adored him!) There's an article about him in the Washington Post this week. He lives in TN right now. Still a scamp! I don't think he played that bellhop who was the accountant who ran off with Suzanne's money--another outstanding character on that show.

Yes, I "know" him, but I can't place him in an episode of DW, and it's not listed in his credits on IMDb.

Reggie Mac Dawson was played by some relative of Harry Thomason's.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Julia wouldn't want the bad publicity of one of the firm's partners going on stage in blackface (especially after she promised the local NAACP chapter it wouldn't happen)!

It was damned funny though, I gotta admit. I love the look on Julia's face when Suzanne comes out onto the stage and then Suzanne's smirk. LOLOL.

The Rowdy Girls is one that never fails to make me cry! Charlene losing her step for a moment when she sees her friend (can't recall her name at the moment) and the kids in the audience just kills me.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also watched the episode where Mary Jo pretends - to impress her snooty classmate Belva - the grand mansion they're decorating is her home, a home to which Anthony crawls after escaping Suzanne's house where he's about to be injected with collagen

"They're gonna exfoliate me!" Hahahahahahahaha.

Oh lord I love this show.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Charlene losing her step for a moment when she sees her friend (can't recall her name at the moment) and the kids in the audience just kills me.

Mavis.  And, yep, no matter how many times I watch the episode, I get chills at the way Jean Smart projects the joy that comes over Charlene when she spots them.

• Love 3

I tape this every night so that I can look forward to a bright spot every day.  They were just a perfect ensemble and so many of the lines are so memorable. 

"Well, I know her, that's Little Latin Lupe" will never fail to make me laugh.

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

"Well, I know her, that's Little Latin Lupe" will never fail to make me laugh.

Reese is a wonderful character, and Hal Holbrook delivers his lines so well.  Thank goodness Linda Bloodworth-Thomason talked him into taking the role.

It never fails to strike me just how incredible a half hour of television "They Shoot Fat Women, Don't They?" is.  Delta went into Linda's office and said it's time to address the weight gain on the show, and practically overnight Linda churned out this script that explores the ubiquity of weight shaming and its effect (Suzanne's face at the first night of the reunion says it all, and then the conversation with Julia makes it explicit), juxtaposed with the staggering number of people worldwide who literally starve to death. 

Delta's sole request, that she get the jokes, not be the butt of them, is honored beautifully, because that scene where Suzanne shows Julia and Mary Jo the dresses is fantastic - they mean well, but they're patronizing, and she gets to call them on it.  "I know I've put on a few pounds, but you all act like I should be ordering fabric at Georgia Tent and Awning" and "Okay, that's it.  I'm leaving - that is, if you think the streets of Atlanta can take the weight of me and my Mercedes" are great.

And Suzanne's acceptance speech is heartfelt yet still sounds like Suzanne.  I love the little "for one thing, because I love trophies" before she says she earned it, no matter what they intended by it -- she has changed.

I love that Elizabeth Taylor wrote Delta Burke a note of thanks and support after the episode aired, that became one of her most-prized possessions (right up there with all those crowns 🙂 ).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Reese is a wonderful character, and Hal Holbrook delivers his lines so well.  Thank goodness Linda Bloodworth-Thomason talked him into taking the role.

It never fails to strike me just how incredible a half hour of television "They Shoot Fat Women, Don't They?" is.  Delta went into Linda's office and said it's time to address the weight gain on the show, and practically overnight Linda churned out this script that explores the ubiquity of weight shaming and its effect (Suzanne's face at the first night of the reunion says it all, and then the conversation with Julia makes it explicit), juxtaposed with the staggering number of people worldwide who literally starve to death. 

Delta's sole request, that she get the jokes, not be the butt of them, is honored beautifully, because that scene where Suzanne shows Julia and Mary Jo the dresses is fantastic - they mean well, but they're patronizing, and she gets to call them on it.  "I know I've put on a few pounds, but you all act like I should be ordering fabric at Georgia Tent and Awning" and "Okay, that's it.  I'm leaving - that is, if you think the streets of Atlanta can take the weight of me and my Mercedes" are great.

And Suzanne's acceptance speech is heartfelt yet still sounds like Suzanne.  I love the little "for one thing, because I love trophies" before she says she earned it, no matter what they intended by it -- she has changed.

I love that Elizabeth Taylor wrote Delta Burke a note of thanks and support after the episode aired, that became one of her most-prized possessions (right up there with all those crowns 🙂 ).

I remember when that episode originally aired and so many reviewers thought Delta Burke would win an Emmy. She didn't but she deserved one.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

I remember when that episode originally aired and so many reviewers thought Delta Burke would win an Emmy. She didn't but she deserved one.

Absolutely.  Not only was she brilliant in this episode her comic delivery was spot on (and hysterical) but she could also project her vulnerability so beautifully.  I can't think of an episode where at least one of her lines doesn't make me laugh out loud even after all of these years.

• Love 7

It's truly shameful that the only Emmy this show ever won was for hair styling, but that's typical of how the academy would regard a show by and about women.

It's impressive how good the episodes filmed during Jean Smart's maternity leave are; this is such an ensemble show, you'd expect episodes missing one of the main characters (or only having her appear briefly) to play awkwardly, and indeed "You've Got to Have Friends" (which is also missing Suzanne) isn't the greatest, but "Julia and Suzanne's Big Adventure",  "Manhunt", and "They Shoot Fat Women, Don't They?" are all classics!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

but that's typical of how the academy would regard a show by and about women.

I dunno, The Golden Girls did well at the Emmys. All of the actresses took home at an Emmy each and the show itself won awards for writing, directing, and best show.

• Love 1