Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Sacred Ground

mxc90
  • Start Topic

First Aired: September 25, 2019

In the Season 8 premiere, the mattress factory fire spirals out of control. Truck and squad lay it on the line in hopes of getting the trapped victims out alive.

This show can be cruel, very cruel! Why Otis? Let Mouch go!!!!!!!! At least Otis added some humor and was important to some side plots with Molly. What is Mouch's contribution? 

I am surprise a new person wasn't brought in during that 3 month time. How long does Casey need to search?

From the floor collapse only Brett broke her arm and no injuries to the others (did they land on a bunch of matresses)?!

Sylvie should have tested her left arm's strength and clocked that talkative girl.

How many clues does Sylvie need to see that Fowlerton is not for her. She better be back next week.

Is Casey more in the dumps for Otis or Sylvie?

I felt bad for Cruz. I give him credit for remembering the Russian phrase 3 months later, but he easily could have asked someone in Otis' family to translate. I think Otis really said: "I am not getting full pay for my brief appearance in this episode, start a charity to raise money for me. Call it the Future Leaders Fund".

It was funny when Collins signed the magazine, the rest of his goofiness I can do without. Trying to add his weak humor to this sad episode didn't work.

Severide is with Kidd for 3 months! What? How long can this last?

How many times has someone not follow orders on this show? Ritter must be the first to be scolded for it.

Did that kid look real tall to be able to worm his way into the machine?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

Noooo! Not Otis! He was my favourite character and I found him cute. I'm so heartbroken and mad about this development. Also, the ending and the translated phrase made me cry. Although I have no idea how Cruz remembered it all those months later. I would have forgotten it two seconds after it was said. 

• Love 5

I always loved the Otis/Cruz dynamic because it always felt like Otis was the big brother in the relationship.  He sometimes came across as a little condescending, like when he told Cruz "your a big, gullible teddy bear" or something near that description, but you knew there was nothing Otis wouldn't do for him.

Whether trying to steer Cruz away from various over the top hairbrained ideas or just background comedy.  I'm going to miss them. 

• Love 8

Poor Otis. The Chicago shows just keep getting rid of characters I'm interested in..... I don't know if I'll watch much this season. Nothing on the premier made me all the invested. 

• I do not care one bit about Sylvie. She can stay in the country with Pastor guy.
  • Kelly and Kidd just don't work as a couple for me.
  • Casey + Sylvie getting together as a couple I'm not interested in.
  • Cruz being sad/depressed not interested in.
  • New dumb guy don't care.
  • Mouch is just there.
Edited by Fireball
  • Love 5

Cruz told the Chief that he didn’t want to know what the phrase meant because he was afraid it was Otis saying how much pain he was in or something like that. I’m upset about them killing off Otis. I was already teary about Connor leaving Chicago Med, then I became a weepy mess during Chicago Fire. That ending killed me. 😥

The Chief, Severide, and Casey all looked dashing in their dress uniforms.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 12

Damn, this was good. Easily one of the best episodes they've ever done and surprisingly good for network television these days. I lost it at the end. Glad they didn't drag the inquiry out or have Boden become the scapegoat, which is what I honestly thought was going to happen. 

I was surprised they killed Otis off, but honestly, after 7 years, all the primary actors' high salaries leave them vulnerable from this point onwards, and as an ensemble show they're replaceable if the show is renewed. Old expensive shows don't last long if the cost of talent remains high, so in that sense I guess we should be relieved it was only Otis.

As for having to kill off anybody, I guess I don't mind it if it furthers the story. Game of Thrones was legendary for it, but in most of the cases, the deaths made complete sense for the narrative, and I think this was definitely the case here tonight.

I wonder how many people are going to drive by E18's quarters looking for that monument now. 

If Brett had decided to stick it out as a full-time paramedic in that small town she and her partner would probably be running OD calls from dusk to dawn, with the odd MVA thrown in for good measure.

• Love 4

1.First time I ever watched this show live to see who they killed. I avoided the gossip......dammit those bastards, they killed Otis.

2. Casey looks depressed. He has pushed into his 40's and his bitterness on how the last few years have turned out is telling. A midlife crisis.

3.Stellacide is annoyingMcCartney

4.Brett is a preachers wife........bhahaha.

• Love 3

Gotta love all the squealing twitter fans.....oh my god Casey is more upset about Otis dying he didn't cry about his wife leaving...he's the worst...uhhh she's still alive....a guy lost his life, slightly more crushing than his selfish wife up and leaving in a fit of pique. Idiots.

Hermann is still annoying & Mouch continues to add little....why couldn't they be the ones to bite the dust? The ending was very well done though.

Cruz/Otis was probably the most relatable friendship on the show I hope they get the balance right, I don't want to see Cruz mourning all year because shit he can be depressing but I hope it's not swept under the carpet either. I have fears they will go the old...Cruz hates the new guy because he's Otis's replacement trope. 

I can tell you if your arm has been in a cast for three months the second it comes off you cannot just move it like Brett did...I guess Fowlerton has the same magical healing powers as Chicago.

Stellaride continue to be snooze inducing and of course the new paramedic doesn't fit in, that's original.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Cruz told the Chief that he didn’t want to know what the phrase meant because he was afraid it was Otis saying how much pain he was in or something like that. I’m upset about them killing off Otis. I was already teary about Connor leaving Chicago Med, then I became a weepy mess during Chicago Fire. That ending killed me. 😥

The Chief, Severide, and Casey all looked dashing in their dress uniforms.

Mmm. When the three of them walked into the building, I picked up the remote, rewound a few seconds and watched them do it again. Did that two more times.

Yep, they looked really good in those dress uniforms😊

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Why do they find it necessary to kill off beloved characters? I am so angry.

I hate when a show kills off a major character just to show how edgy or daring they can be. I mean, I get it - they don't want the audience to feel too comfortable or too confident that the main characters are never in any real danger. But they could have killed off Sylvie, or Foster, or Stella, or Ritter, and I wouldn't have cared. None of those characters have been around since Day 1. So on some level they know the audience wouldn't be as moved if it were one of them. Hence: we don't give a damn about those characters. The show is getting rid of the ones we care most about and keeping the ones we have little interest in. That's not a recipe for continued success.

That said, this episode did give Joe Minoso a chance to really shine. Boden's whole dedication speech at the end was schlocky as hell but when Cruz broke down and sobbed I bought it.

Did that kid look real tall to be able to worm his way into the machine?

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how he got in there. I didn't see any opening nearly big enough for it.

Mouch: "I know that guy from somewhere."

Me: Days of our Lives?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Didn't care for this episode really. 

Herrman is annoying but I have to ask, what if Ritter listens to Herrman and gets killed? Is Ritter going to live with that for the rest of his life? 

I felt bad for Cruz though, I wish they didn't kill Otis. 

I kinda think Brett will be back somehow and I really don't care for Connor. 

It was nice to see Boden, Casey and Severide in their dress blues. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I was surprised they killed Otis off, but honestly, after 7 years, all the primary actors' high salaries leave them vulnerable from this point onwards, and as an ensemble show they're replaceable if the show is renewed. Old expensive shows don't last long if the cost of talent remains high, so in that sense I guess we should be relieved it was only Otis.

As for having to kill off anybody, I guess I don't mind it if it furthers the story. Game of Thrones was legendary for it, but in most of the cases, the deaths made complete sense for the narrative, and I think this was definitely the case here tonight.

I think that is right on the money. They can replace anyone in the cast and this series can  chug along in the same way Law and Order did with multiple cast changes. 

Otis was one of the minor characters who was expendable. In fact they should have a bigger turnover to bring more juice to the show.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Fireball said:

Poor Otis. The Chicago shows just keep getting rid of characters I'm interested in..... I don't know if I'll watch much this season. Nothing on the premier made me all the invested. 

• I do not care one bit about Sylvie. She can stay in the country with Pastor guy.
  • Mouch is just there.

Otis always seemed the least likely fireman to me which made him more interesting than the others. 

Sylvie's marriage ain't gonna last. You can see it already. Either that or she will move back to Chicago and have a long distance marriage. 

Casey is a rather boring character. 

Cruz is always kind of depressed.

New dumb guy is not likeable. 

Mouch/the actor who played him looked bored in the bar. 

On another note, how did that kid get in that machine? No one asked and I think it's because it is impossible to get in without being able to get out.

Cruz and Boden did well to remember Otis' last words given they were in Russian, a language that would be completely alien to them. I am a little cynical about the likelihood of that happening.

Edited by Forsaken
  • Love 2

It would have made so much more sense to kill off Mouch instead of Otis. Otis at least provided comedic relief. I hope Ritter stays on truck 81 permanently. I get that Herman was upset in the heat of the moment, but to ignore someone for three months is just petty and childish. I get people love Herman, but to me he comes off as a bully at times. Poor Emily would rather work alone than work with the dimwit they sent her. So how long will they prolong this Sylvie/Matt/Chaplain nonsense?

• Love 5

Cruz and Boden did well to remember Otis' last words given they were in Russian, a language that would be completely alien to them. I am a little cynical about the likelihood of that happening.

A little?? There's no way someone utters a sentence in a language completely foreign to you in such an emotional moment and you remember it word for word. At best you might be able to approximate it or recall one or two words. At best.

Credit where credit is due: the effect used to simulate Otis's burned torso was impressive. When they peeled off his shirt in the ambo I was just as taken aback as Cruz was. That was gruesome. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Fireball said:

• Mouch is just there.

You just described the entire show. Why do you watch?  😕

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The cast was fine the way it was.  No reason to kill off Otis.

Why does everyone assume the show got rid of an actor?

Perhaps the actor wanted to move on to something different or better?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Credit where credit is due: the effect used to simulate Otis's burned torso was impressive. When they peeled off his shirt in the ambo I was just as taken aback as Cruz was. That was gruesome. 

I had a similar thought: why was he burned to a crisp and yet his outer garments were intact.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, spunky said:

I hope Ritter stays on truck 81 permanently. I get that Herman was upset in the heat of the moment, but to ignore someone for three months is just petty and childish. I get people love Herman, but to me he comes off as a bully at times.

Hermann is a flat out bully most of the time. That was ridiculous, poor leadership & a dick thing to do. Sure chew him out in the heat of the moment but for him not to know he was still on Truck three months later just to help out Casey is just piss poor leadership & Ritter would do well to tell Hermann to shove his Engine up his judgemental ass.

• Love 10
On 9/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, Forsaken said:

On another note, how did that kid get in that machine? No one asked and I think it's because it is impossible to get in without being able to get out.

I asked some people who should know. The only thing that made sense to them was that the door was accidently left open and then closed behind him.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

So Otis gets a fancy granite memorial with a bench and everything, Shay just gets her name on the ambulance and Severide's friend who died in the pilot gets nothing. Sucks for that guy.

Also did Brett's preacher fiance move to Mayberry with her to live in her parents house or is he driving back and forth to Chicago?

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also did Brett's preacher fiance move to Mayberry with her to live in her parents house or is he driving back and forth to Chicago?

I think he transferred to Mayberry 🤣  and she went along with him. What's the over/under as to how long before she dumps him and high-tails it back to where the action is.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

I asked some people that should know. I only thing that made sense to them was that the door was accidently left open and then closed behind him.

Was it even necessary to make that emergency call? Casey removed two screws and the kid was free. That whole scene was ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Guildford said:

Hermann is a flat out bully most of the time. That was ridiculous, poor leadership & a dick thing to do. Sure chew him out in the heat of the moment but for him not to know he was still on Truck three months later just to help out Casey is just piss poor leadership & Ritter would do well to tell Hermann to shove his Engine up his judgemental ass.

I would love to see Ritter rip into Herman for his poor leadership and his bullying ways.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, preeya said:

I think he transferred to Mayberry 🤣  and she went along with him. What's the over/under as to how long before she dumps him and high-tails it back to where the action is.

Two episodes...she'll be back by the crossover.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Gotta say - more than anything, I'm loving the double-down on United Front Sevasey, with the addition of Stellarasey. I thought Casey was a withdrawn, depressed, alien work zombie for most of season 7; it seems that Otis' death and the 3-month-long government investigation annihilated what was left of him. Severide standing by him and supporting him on all fronts is the best. That's the kind of stuff I used to expect from CF, and I hope they keep it up. I finally see Severide stepping up into a leader-of-all role.

I got the sense that Casey wanted to be blamed by the commission, as he clearly blames himself. He went into that inquiry with a "let's just end this" mentality, especially compared to the other times he's been second-guessed (e.g., Pridgen in season 3, Mullins in season 6, Grissom in season 6). I think he's at the end of whatever rope he has left. I really, really hope the show plays that storyline, rather than giving him another season 7 or handwaving him back to whatever normal is for him now. 

I'm not upset about Otis in the least. There wasn't a wet eye in my house. The deathbed scene was OTT, gimmicky, and beyond far-fetched; he should've just died in the basement. Other than that, the secondary main characters have been caricatures since at least season 6, essentially worthwhile only on calls. Their firehouse storylines have been mindnumbing, e.g., Casey nearly gets his head blown off, meanwhile Otis is in crisis over a hockey goal. Serious drama lol. I really hope his death leads to Herrmann going back to his season 1-3 characterization, Cruz not getting dragged into infantile shenanigans, and Mouch being Mouch. Humor is an essential part of a firehouse; sitcom c-plots aren't. I'm also happy that 8x1 wasn't another 6x1: someone needed to die (the last was Shay in 3x1), and it wasn't a cop out with Ritter.

Brett's miserable, and I suspect she'll be back at 51 by the end of 8x2 (not spoiled - just my speculation). But Brett could easily work for Indianapolis Fire Department and be at a busy house in an urban environment, even if she commuted into Indianapolis from Fowlerton. (MANY live in the Anderson area but commute into Indy for work.) I can't figure out why Kyle dragged her to Fowlerton instead of to Anderson, Fishers, or, hell, Plainfield. Her storyline is forced and pretty ridiculous; I'm fanwanking that she left with Kyle because Otis died and is self-sabotaging because she knows she made a mistake.

I actually did like the episode and am looking forward to this season.

Edited by cbsspecialreport
OOT is not OTT
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So Otis gets a fancy granite memorial with a bench and everything, Shay just gets her name on the ambulance and Severide's friend who died in the pilot gets nothing. Sucks for that guy.

It reminded me a lot of conversations I have had with bosses in the past. Cruz told Boden that he was thinking about what of ALL the people on that wall. Who would remember "US" when we're gone. He was thinking of the living as well as the dead. And not just Otis. 

So what does Boden do? He erects a memorial just for Otis! Must make everyone feel awesome. That memorial was big enough for the name of every member who had been killed in duty.

1 hour ago, preeya said:

Was it even necessary to make that emergency call? Casey removed two screws and the kid was free. That whole scene was ridiculous.

It was so stupid. You could have even just smashed the glass, made sure the kid covered their face/eyes. And no one at the place itself has access to the machine? How do they reload it with toys? Oh yeah, no one wins those things..

14 minutes ago, cbsspecialreport said:

Gotta say - more than anything, I'm loving the double-down on United Front Sevasey, with the addition of Stellarasey. I thought Casey was a withdrawn, depressed, alien work zombie for most of season 7; it seems that Otis' death and the 3-month-long government investigation annihilated what was left of him. Severide standing by him and supporting him on all fronts is the best. That's the kind of stuff I used to expect from CF, and I hope they keep it up. I finally see Severide stepping up into a leader-of-all role.

I got the sense that Casey wanted to be blamed by the commission, as he clearly blames himself. He went into that inquiry with a "let's just end this" mentality, especially compared to the other times he's been second-guessed (e.g., Pridgen in season 3, Mullins in season 6, Grissom in season 6). I think he's at the end of whatever rope he has left. I really, really hope the show plays that storyline, rather than giving him another season 7 or handwaving him back to whatever normal is for him now. 

I'm not upset about Otis in the least. There wasn't a wet eye in my house. The deathbed scene was OTT, gimmicky, and beyond far-fetched; he should've just died in the basement. Other than that, the secondary main characters have been caricatures since at least season 6, essentially worthwhile only on calls. Their firehouse storylines have been mindnumbing, e.g., Casey nearly gets his head blown off, meanwhile Otis is in crisis over a hockey goal. Serious drama lol. I really hope his death leads to Herrmann going back to his season 1-3 characterization, Cruz not getting dragged into infantile shenanigans, and Mouch being Mouch. Humor is an essential part of a firehouse; sitcom c-plots aren't. I'm also happy that 8x1 wasn't another 6x1: someone needed to die (the last was Shay in 3x1), and it wasn't a cop out with Ritter.

Brett's miserable, and I suspect she'll be back at 51 by the end of 8x2 (not spoiled - just my speculation). But Brett could easily work for Indianapolis Fire Department and be at a busy house in an urban environment, even if she commuted into Indianapolis from Fowlerton. (MANY live in the Anderson area but commute into Indy for work.) I can't figure out why Kyle dragged her to Fowlerton instead of to Anderson, Fishers, or, hell, Plainfield. Her storyline is forced and pretty ridiculous; I'm fanwanking that she left with Kyle because Otis died and is self-sabotaging because she knows she made a mistake.

I actually did like the episode and am looking forward to this season.

Unless I missed something I thought it was odd that the tribunal left it when Boden took responsibility. A possible witch hunt against Casey?

I think Casey just wanted it all over and done with even if it meant he was out of a job.

Overall Casey seems like a waste of a character, they don't know what to do with him.

The "humour" at times is pretty sad I agree. The silly things they get involved with. Now we have a male pin up model. 

I don't understand why Brett even got married. She seemed to just want it for the wrong reasons. 

Again, overall I don't think they have enough fire/emergency ideas for this show and don't know what to do with the characters.

• Love 1

I feel like the time jump did a huge disservice to Otis (and Yuri (sp ?)  as an actor).   We barely had time to process his death and mourn him before - whoop! - time jump and everyone is all pretty much over it.  Cruz is still sort of sad, but, hey - look - underwear model hijinks!

A stupid statue (with a removable and bronze helmet that will be stolen and pawned within 4 hours in Chicago) and a few sad words does not make for an appropriate swan song for an original cast member.  Boden killed it, but the rest seemed to be phoning it in.

I am as leaky as an old faucet when it comes to beloved character's deaths on TV, but I barely even sniffled here.  And I truly adored Otis.  (I not-so secretly wish Mouch would have bitten it.  A big bronze couch in front of 51 would be way harder to steal).  

Something just felt off, emotional-beat Wise.   

I can't care if Bret comes back.  Austin (block of wood) Peck was, sadly, the high point of the episode (though again, the levity of his character seemed very misplaced in an episode which was supposed to be oh-so-sad).

Edited by Stella Rose
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

I feel like the time jump did a huge disservice to Otis (and Yuri (sp ?)  as an actor).   We barely had time to process his death and mourn him before - whoop! - time jump and everyone is all pretty much over it.  Cruz is still sort of sad, but, hey - look - underwear model hijinks!

I felt like it was a cop out by the writers, lets see the fallout, them walking in for their next shift, his funeral...I mean we got Benny's whole emotional service and he was a bit player at best.

I would have liked to have seen them all make it out of the fire & then hours later, at home Otis says he's going to bed, feeling crappy & bang doesn't wake up the next morning & them finding out about it, that would have had much more emotional impact & given the actor a much better send off. 

As usual though these #OneChicago writers half ass everything and phone it in.

Also would have like to have seen the new paramedic be someone who is a competent nice guy who brings some levity to the house and that when they beg Brett to come back they actually feel bad about losing him....that would be original and fresh but no, let's go the usual misfit trope that these shows love.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, preeya said:

After he was freed, Stella gave him a toy ( not paid for) from the machine (as a reward for being stupid).

1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Also would have like to have seen the new paramedic be someone who is a competent nice guy who brings some levity to the house and that when they beg Brett to come back they actually feel bad about losing him....that would be original and fresh but no, let's go the usual misfit trope that these shows love.

When Foster told Boden he is barely competent and completely lazy, I was surprised Boden wasn't steamed. He just  said he'll keep searching. He is always talking how brave and heroic the people in 51 are but lets this guy walk in with this nonsense and not toss him out or at least have a talk with him. This might be a sign the writers are phoning it in and this is just the first episode.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, spunky said:

I would love to see Ritter rip into Herman for his poor leadership and his bullying ways.

He's a candidate (i.e. probie), and Hermann's his Lieutenant and the senior officer of his company. He'd probably be fired on the spot if he ripped in to Hermann, especially if he did it in front of his company. The chain of command is something taken very seriously.

Now that said, a heart-to-heart with him in private, along the lines of "I know I fucked up and yeah, you had the right to rip me a new arsehole, but this has been bothering me since it happened, and I'd appreciate if you'd let me air this out with you and maybe you could explain how my decision-making was bad."

In the overall story, in a way I'm sort-of glad they killed off Otis, to explore how the various members of the company deal with the grief. Losing a brother you fought the dragon with for at least 7 years, a longtime friend, beloved colleague, a man under your direct command, etc. The problem is, this show is generally written for relatively dumb viewers, and it always devolves into stupid TV tropes. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mxc90 said:

When Foster told Boden he is barely competent and completely lazy, I was surprised Boden wasn't steamed. He just  said he'll keep searching. He is always talking how brave and heroic the people in 51 are but lets this guy walk in with this nonsense and not toss him out or at least have a talk with him. This might be a sign the writers are phoning it in and this is just the first episode.

Why would Boden be surprised? He has been around long enough to know that anyone who works for CFD but isn't true 51 is either corrupt, lazy, incompetent or some combination of those 3.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I believe the goofy temp EMT gave the kid the toy not Stella.

Thanks. I missed a detail. Stella had the toy first, offered to the kid, he didn't take it, then Collins decided to take it (like it was a baton) and pass it to the reluctant kid. I don't think the kid wanted the pink one they gave him.

28 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Why would Boden be surprised? He has been around long enough to know that anyone who works for CFD but isn't true 51 is either corrupt, lazy, incompetent or some combination of those 3.

You're right. No wonder it's taking 3 months to find that special person to fill Otis' boots. 

13 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

You're right. No wonder it's taking 3 months to find that special person to fill Otis' boots. 

Not only Otis but it's also taken three months to fill Brett's spot on Ambo. Didn't they do this cycle through crazy paramedics when St Gabby of the Flame left barely a season ago? Good to see the writer's stretching themselves.🙄

• Love 3

I had a similar thought: why was he burned to a crisp and yet his outer garments were intact.

Good question. I'm guessing the uniforms are flame retardant but the sheer heat of the blast burned him beneath his clothing.

I could have done without the tribunal. This show keeps going back to the same well with higher-ups determined to come down on the station, Boden, all the firefighters, etc. It's like all of Chicago is out to get these guys. And everyone in the hierarchy above this is an evil asshole out to destroy them. 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Good question. I'm guessing the uniforms are flame retardant but the sheer heat of the blast burned him beneath his clothing.

Didn't Hermann say at the end of last season that if the boiler explodes it would take out the whole block? It didn't even bring down the building.

9 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

He's a candidate (i.e. probie), and Hermann's his Lieutenant and the senior officer of his company. He'd probably be fired on the spot if he ripped in to Hermann, especially if he did it in front of his company. The chain of command is something taken very seriously.

Now that said, a heart-to-heart with him in private, along the lines of "I know I fucked up and yeah, you had the right to rip me a new arsehole, but this has been bothering me since it happened, and I'd appreciate if you'd let me air this out with you and maybe you could explain how my decision-making was bad."

In the overall story, in a way I'm sort-of glad they killed off Otis, to explore how the various members of the company deal with the grief. Losing a brother you fought the dragon with for at least 7 years, a longtime friend, beloved colleague, a man under your direct command, etc. The problem is, this show is generally written for relatively dumb viewers, and it always devolves into stupid TV tropes. 

I hear you. I’m just over Herman and his bullying ways. I’m sure they’ll all be over Otis’ death by the next episode and life will be back to normal. I’m starting to loose hope in these writers.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, spunky said:

I hear you. I’m just over Herman and his bullying ways. I’m sure they’ll all be over Otis’ death by the next episode and life will be back to normal. I’m starting to loose hope in these writers.

Every boss has a different style of command. Some are fire-breathing dictators, others are passive-aggressive guys waiting to retire, and some are true natural-born leaders. Hermann has a style, and I think it's more common than you think. Watch Deadliest Catch and look at the captains of the various boats. Each has their own way. Some are screaming douchebags (I'm looking at you, Keith), others are brilliant but conniving (Sig), some are natural-born leaders (Brenna-A's captain, whose name is eluding me), and so on. 

The fire-breathing bosses often don't do what they do to be mean, but to be that tough SOB whose words will stay with you when the shit hits the fan. If you don't check your air regulator and get caught out (but nothing happens), and the fire-breathing boss rips you for it, you're sure as hell never going to make that mistake again. Tough Love works. Now, if someone's just vindictive and mean without being a leader that's different. Hermann is tough as nails. He's seen and done it all in a long career, and he's the kind of guy who'd get on your case for a fuckup but also make sure you had the support you needed if Something Bad were to happen. I personally like leaders like that, to be honest. 

As for forgetting about the loss in a week or two, I don't think so. I read an interview with the showrunner this morning that indicated it would be a theme carried over for the first part of the season; how each person's loss manifests and how they handle it, etc.

• Love 2

After watching that train wreck on Chicago Med, there’s nothing to criticize in this Fire episode, sorry. There’s plenty of time for snark later, but the bar was pretty low.

I wasn’t surprised they didn’t go after Bowden after he fell on his sword. They werent interested in burying the black guy. However, Casey was partially responsible as was Boden as the boss. They both should have taken a hit, I think.

Too bad for Otis. He wasn’t one of my favorites. His buddy breaking down after the speech was good TV, I think.  Chicago PD still has the gold star in poignant final scenes, often without words.

The new guy is creepy. Casey is creepy. Severide has beady eyes. Britt needs to go back to Chicago. Why on Earth would she let that little beeatch say she knew she couldn’t make it in Chicago, then agree to be friendly with her? Screw that.

Ritter continues to be the biggest liability in the house. Some people shouldn’t be firemen. He’s going to get someone killed.

I saw a report on TV with a kid that crawled in one of those machines, but that kid was pretty big.

Now that Otis is gone, who is the new Otis?  That is, the elevator specialist.

They didn't waste any time writing off Molly's North, either.  One line of dialogue and you're done.

I had to laugh at that interaction between Chaplain and Sylvie.  "You don't have to work.  Being a Chaplain's wife is a job in itself." Translation:  After you get pregnant, you'll be staying home anyway.  Don't let that anvil land on your arm, Sylvie.

22 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

A stupid statue (with a removable and bronze helmet that will be stolen and pawned within 4 hours in Chicago)

Exactly what I thought.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:26 AM, Waterston Fan said:

Herrman is annoying but I have to ask, what if Ritter listens to Herrman and gets killed? Is Ritter going to live with that for the rest of his life? 

Yeah, I would assume so, even as short as his life would be.  No offense meant.

I would think those toy cages would be made of plexiglass for safety.  Suppose some kid just spent $10 on a toy bear and, in a fit of rage, slammed his hand against a glass pane. The ambo would have lots of work, anyway.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Every boss has a different style of command. Some are fire-breathing dictators, others are passive-aggressive guys waiting to retire, and some are true natural-born leaders. Hermann has a style, and I think it's more common than you think. Watch Deadliest Catch and look at the captains of the various boats. Each has their own way. Some are screaming douchebags (I'm looking at you, Keith), others are brilliant but conniving (Sig), some are natural-born leaders (Brenna-A's captain, whose name is eluding me), and so on. 

The fire-breathing bosses often don't do what they do to be mean, but to be that tough SOB whose words will stay with you when the shit hits the fan. If you don't check your air regulator and get caught out (but nothing happens), and the fire-breathing boss rips you for it, you're sure as hell never going to make that mistake again. Tough Love works. Now, if someone's just vindictive and mean without being a leader that's different. Hermann is tough as nails. He's seen and done it all in a long career, and he's the kind of guy who'd get on your case for a fuckup but also make sure you had the support you needed if Something Bad were to happen. I personally like leaders like that, to be honest. 

As for forgetting about the loss in a week or two, I don't think so. I read an interview with the showrunner this morning that indicated it would be a theme carried over for the first part of the season; how each person's loss manifests and how they handle it, etc.

You’re so right. I currently work for a micromanager, who becomes upset when you anticipate what she wants and give her nothing to complain about. As for Herman, it’s fine that he scolded Ritter right after. My issue is that for the past 3 months Ritter didn’t know he was just covering until they find a replacement for 81. Communication is key, especially in a job that is unpredictable.

1 hour ago, spunky said:

You’re so right. I currently work for a micromanager, who becomes upset when you anticipate what she wants and give her nothing to complain about. As for Herman, it’s fine that he scolded Ritter right after. My issue is that for the past 3 months Ritter didn’t know he was just covering until they find a replacement for 81. Communication is key, especially in a job that is unpredictable.

Micro managers are the worst. They erode the confidence of their team, then their team stop making decisions because it's like navigating a minefield. Then of course the team get yelled out because they don't know what they are doing. No one can read minds. 

The fire station is pretty lax though, I understand it is a show and all but with so many of them pursuing other high maintenance side projects ie a bar, politics, various hare brained get rich schemes it is amazing it functions at all. 

Just now, jewel21 said:

The "friend" that Sylvie ran into back home, that wasn't her friend who came to work at the Firehouse for awhile and was later fired, was it? She was after Severide and messed with Kidd's paycheck?

I believe so yes. 

• Love 2