Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E01: I Vote You Out and That's It

FormerMod-a1
Message added by Whimsy

As a reminder, there is NO discussion of the previews in the episode threads. Offenders will get a warning. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

I'm sure she was told what to do, and I'd be astonished if she didn't ask as well.

What's kind of fascinating about this is that the producers could easily have screwed her -- by making sure that Probst read the "No Vote" parchment out loud, thus raising questions and, most likely, exposing her lie to the tribe.

In the event that all votes had to be read to get a majority, the No Vote parchment obviously would have been read, and maybe that's why they made her write it out.  In this case, since her non-vote didn't play a role, they left it at the bottom of the urn.

I feel like in the past, when there is either an extra vote or one less vote in the urn, TPTB have just left it up to the tribemembers to keep count and figure out the disparity on their own -- assuming all the votes are read, that is.

• Love 1

I guess we'll find out more this week, but I'm wondering how this whole Island of Idols thing is supposed to work each week.  Do Sandra and Boston Rob have a set course of mentoring things to do: #1: how to build a fire, #2:  how to pretend you're going to poop, but are actually looking for a HII, #3: where to conceal your HII for best retrieval before TC, etc.  I'm not sure how a lot of the most valuable Survivor skills like social game or strategizing can be worked into a "go head to head with one of our big winners so you can be made to feel stupid when you lose" fake competition.  Will Sandra and Boston Rob use their observation time at TC to decide what to do next?  Can the person sent to IOI ask for other mentoring--like should Elizabeth have asked for advice on what lie to tell when she gets back to camp? 

I'm intrigued by this twist, but not sold on it yet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Who was the contestant using Sandra's "I'll vote for anyone as long as it isn't me"?  

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think Elaine said that when she was telling Aaron/Ronnie she'd vote out Vince.

Yeah, but she lied.  I loved it!

• Love 1
On 9/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, aquarian1 said:

Nah, I'm in the US and I'd never say I lived in Horsham, no one outside that area would know where that is.  I say I lived in Philadelphia instead.  I currently live in a 'burb of Saint Paul, but I still say I live in St Paul (or the Twin Cities) because no one outside this area would know where Maplewood is.  

I think part of the reason a lot of people from around Boston say they are from Boston, is that Boston not that large of a city (21st in population in the US) but is a pretty, large metro area (10th in the US).  So, I think people think of Boston as more of an area, than a city.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, Special K said:

What's kind of fascinating about this is that the producers could easily have screwed her -- by making sure that Probst read the "No Vote" parchment out loud, thus raising questions and, most likely, exposing her lie to the tribe.

In the event that all votes had to be read to get a majority, the No Vote parchment obviously would have been read, and maybe that's why they made her write it out.  In this case, since her non-vote didn't play a role, they left it at the bottom of the urn.

I feel like in the past, when there is either an extra vote or one less vote in the urn, TPTB have just left it up to the tribemembers to keep count and figure out the disparity on their own -- assuming all the votes are read, that is.

I don't think I have ever seen a contestant write "NO VOTE" when they had lost their vote, so I think it is new.

It is interesting that Probst didn't read it.  If he chose to read it, he could have really stirred up a of unrest in the tribe.  I wonder if the NO VOTE had been cast by a player he liked less if he would have read it.

Which votes Probst chooses to read and not to read is an underrated way for him to meddle in the game.   For example, in a 5-4 vote, he could make it obvious that it was a 5-4 vote, or make it seem like it could have been 8-1, 7-2 or 6-3.  

If he read the 5 votes against the one voted of (and the 1 cast by the one voted off) first, other players might be fooled into thinking that people who went against an alliance, actually went along.  

Does he always read all the votes cast for people other than the person voted out?

• Love 1
On 9/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, blackwing said:

I've never particularly cared for Sandra.

I used to be ok with Sandra, but no more.  Keep reading....

On 9/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, blackwing said:

I didn't get what she means when she keeps saying "queen stays queen" when clearly she failed on her third try and didn't stay queen.  

Sandra is currently the only person to ever win Survivor twice - hence her self-designation as the “queen” of Survivor - and Sandra’s “queen stays queen” mantra means Sandra will do or say whatever it takes to keep her record unique.  

Of late this has meant Sandra’s goal when participating in a season of Survivor is no longer to win; it’s to play spoiler, to ensure no other player threatens to match or exceed her record.  This motivation was absolutely transparent in Game Changers, where Sandra basically trashed her own game without care - so long as she was able to wreck both Tony’s and JT’s chances at their second win in the process.

Which is why I no longer like Sandra.  I had no problem with either of Sandra’s wins, but her currently demonstrated inability to play Survivor to win - to trash others’ games not for game reasons, but to warp Survivor into some sort of ego trip vanity plate...?  That leaves me colder than fuck.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Does he always read all the votes cast for people other than the person voted out?

I feel like he reads at least one vote for every person who gets a vote and I'm sure I've seen people here say that but I don't actually know for sure.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Of late this has meant Sandra’s goal when participating in a season of Survivor is no longer to win; it’s to play spoiler, to ensure no other player threatens to match or exceed her record.  This motivation was absolutely transparent in Game Changers, where Sandra basically trashed her own game without care - so long as she was able to wreck both Tony’s and JT’s chances at their second win in the process.

Oh man, I loved that so much lol.

• Love 5

Yes Jeff always reads votes for any player that receives a vote. He would never show a "no vote" though whether it is written as what Elizabeth did or a blank parchment as others in the past have done. It is up to the other players to figure out (if they are good at math) that someone didn't vote on at tc.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:39 PM, Maverick said:

Whatever he's been doing, seeing him hang off the side of that helicopter tells me it hasn't been leg day at the gym.

Ain't no way they're in that hut.   100% they're in the cushy production area.  Peachy probably sleeps with Boston Rob like his teddy bear.

LOL...Who’s the big spoon?  🥄

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, Nashville said:

This motivation was absolutely transparent in Game Changers, where Sandra basically trashed her own game without care - so long as she was able to wreck both Tony’s and JT’s chances at their second win in the process.

Wait wait wait....you're blaming Sandra for ruining JT's game?  JT?  Literally one of the dumbest players to ever play this game?  JT screwed up both his 2nd and 3rd times all on his own.  And in glorious fashion both times.   And, if I'm not mistaken, on the very first day, Tony immediately put a target on his own back by telling everyone he was going to look for an idol , then ran into the trees literally hooting and hollering about it.  Sandra may not have wanted anybody to tie her record but JT and Tony screwed up their own games all on their own.  She definitely wanted to win for a 3rd time so it's not like she didn't try.  If you hate her then, by all means, that's your right, but she definitely tried to win every time she played.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Wait wait wait....you're blaming Sandra for ruining JT's game?  JT?  Literally one of the dumbest players to ever play this game? 

No no no no no no.

<dammit, I knew this was going to get screwed up in translation...>

JT screwed up both his 2nd and 3rd times all on his own.  And in glorious fashion both times.   And, if I'm not mistaken, on the very first day, Tony immediately put a target on his own back by telling everyone he was going to look for an idol , then ran into the trees literally hooting and hollering about it.  Sandra may not have wanted anybody to tie her record but JT and Tony screwed up their own games all on their own. 

No argument with any of this.

She definitely wanted to win for a 3rd time so it's not like she didn't try.  If you hate her then, by all means, that's your right, but she definitely tried to win every time she played.

This isn’t my sticking point either, but it’s getting closer. 😉. I’m not saying Sandra didn’t want to win; in fact, I’m certain that was Sandra’s primary driving force - initially, at least.  

At some point Sandra’s priorities shifted, though, and she took her eye off the ultimate prize (Sole Survivor) to focus on a different task: preserving her record as Survivor’s only Twofer.  Doing so didn’t require much heavy lifting on Sandra’s part - as you noted, Tony and J.T. did most of that themselves - but the fact is that Sandra sidelined her primary game for a vanity play.  And that’s kinda where my respect for Sandra went south.  YMMV

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched this episode on CBS app, and never saw any scheming talk about voting off Ronnie. Nor did I see him be totally insufferable. Why exactly was he voted off?

I liked Sandra from past seasons because she always dressed in light cotton pants and shirts, never underwear or a bikini.

The men in their underwear wardrobe are unfortunate. Their jockey shorts get dirty and baggy. Please, Survivor TPTB, bring back swim trunks or shorts for men. We like eye candy, but filthy underwear is not cutting it. The bra ladies are bad enough. 

Edited by Rt66vintage
  • Love 2

Yeah the men in their underwear is just unpleasant.

Elizabeth lying was beyond stupid. She does realize other people will go?

I figure Rob and Sandra's advice will screw people up all season long. Some things can't be taught- gut, strategy, managing people are some of them.

ETA as soon as they start crying I mute lol. Elaine is likeable but she seems too easily spooked. 

Edited by cleo
On 9/30/2019 at 5:31 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

What I liked most on this episode, and weirdly nobody has mentioned it - was the CUMIN discussion.

You are so right! I find the show quite charming in these moments, but recent seasons have been all about idols, challenges, rewards, and votes. It's left very little time to show anything else, which is a shame.