Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E01: I Vote You Out and That's It

FormerMod-a1
Message added by Whimsy

As a reminder, there is NO discussion of the previews in the episode threads. Offenders will get a warning. 

• Start Topic

Will I finally get my women’s alliance this season?  

Ronnie going on and on about his job history reminded me of Bubba telling Forrest all about shrimp.  I didn’t think it was going to end.  Was not sorry to see him go.

I lost track of all the alliances this ep.  I was expecting something good leading up to TC, because 36 minutes in we had the challenge, and almost 45 minutes left to go.  Then I remembered the twist.  So I guess this will be the norm this season, except it’ll be much more crammed in a one hour episode.    

I loved not having the marooning to start it off.  It was a nice change, and I really didn’t need to see a bunch of live chickens thrown overboard into the water.  Kind of reminded me of some of the old school season openings.  This season gave me flashbacks to the early seasons with the camp life and getting to know everyone, and strategizing.  This season looks to have the potential to be good, so hopefully the twist of Sandra/Rob doesn’t screw it up.   Tommy, Jason, Aaron, Elizabeth, and Dan are annoying, which is too bad, because I really wanted to root for Tommy and Aaron.  Wasn’t digging Chelsea or Noura, either.  Love Missy, Elaine, Tom, Vince, Janet, and Jack.  Janet is kick ass.  There's no way they can say she's old and slows them down after that performance tonight.  Jack is the new Joe/Ozzy.  And I was very impressed with Elaine’s game play.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

So. Much. Crying. Already. Bye Ronnie. I think that was a mistake to take out a physically good player right off the bat. I’m glad Elaine and Vince were safe for now.

So are there no Hidden Immunity idols this time? If not, great. I wasn’t looking forward to B. Rob and Sandra because I’m not a fan of theirs but if they are just there to mentor then that’s OK. I thought they were funny making snarky remarks from their secret hiding place. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

IElizabeth is a really bad liar.  Does she not know that everyone is going to figure this out quickly?  I have to believe Probst asked her at TC about it, even if it wasn’t shown, so I wonder how she handled it.

Well that depends on if the other people that go the IOI tell their tribes exactly what it is. I am thinking not everyone will.

(I would also point out we were only shown her telling the lie to the entire group. I wonder what she told her allies in one to one conversations)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The funniest thing about this episode, for me, was at Tribal, right when it began, and the weird tribal chanting music started, I heard the singers saying "Bos-ton Rob.  Bos-ton Rob."  LOL.  Weird, right?  Just me?

I liked the episode.

This is a diverse cast, not just in race, but in body and age, so I'm really into that.  For example, it's so rare to see South Asian contestants, except for the twins from Amazing Race - they're all I can remember right now.  

The hiatus between seasons is torture.  I wish there was something in between, like "Bachelor in Paradise", i.e. "Survivor in Paradise - yet again, but this time it's Summer" - to tide me over.

Ronnie seemed like an ass, anyway.  That was really satisfying.  When the Olympian said "It's okay, I can survive the island" or something just to pump herself up, Ronnie snickered at her.  Not sure if it was the editing, but what a dork.  WHAT AN ATROCIOUS poker player if Elaine saw right through his lie immediately!  Unless, she's just, super super smart?  I don't know.  I'm pretty bad at this stuff myself.

Forgot about the touchy feely guy.  Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes.  He was so entitled to their bodies.  Just, ew.  So glad that this is happening now instead of like 5 years ago.  The woman feel like they can commiserate and stand up for themselves, which is good.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 22

Heh . . . Boston Rob makes his return to the game that made him famous, and a Masshole is the first one out.

Once again, I'm not keeping notes. I might get to a point where I don't type out the eventual winner's name until Day 30. At least this isn't the worst thing CBS is broadcasting tonight, since the annual clusterfuck presided by JCM ends tonight. I don't want to watch and figure out which assholes will be on a future season of The Challenge.

Rob, Rob, Rob. Thinking about it, if Tyson hadn't gone rogue on the split vote in S20, maybe Rob would've gotten a lot farther that season. But no, Tyson's fuck-up led to Rob's boot, and we wound up with Rob and Russell Hantz getting a bunch of idjits to play with, and the safety net of Redemption Island. Once Russell fucked that up (as Russell is wont to do), Probst might as well just given Rob the check.

Sandra is awesome.

At least the IOTI is different, even if we get two outside forces nudging the players. Elizabeth seems nice . . . though the last time we had an Olympic medalist, it did not work out well for anyone (#CrystalCoxSucksAtLife). Casting women who aren't immediate fap fodder is different, and Elaine is experiencing the paradox of being so nice that a tribe MIGHT have to vote her out. I should learn her name. Am I a bad person for thinking Aidy Bryant could play her on SNL?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

That was a good start. I like the mentoring session but will the survivors really be able to use the info to get ahead in the game?  We’ll see. I cracked up at Sandra’s reply about whether she felt bad about voting anyone out. 

I’m liking Elaine, the lifeguard, and the teacher. I’m glad Ronnie is gone and I’m iffy about the touchy feely guy. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is a diverse cast, not just in race, but in body and age, so I'm really into that.  For example, it's so rare to see South Asian contestants, except for the twins from Amazing Race - that's all I can remember right now.  

The hiatus between seasons is torture.  I wish there was something in between, like "Bachelor in Paradise", i.e. "Survivor in Paradise - yet again, but this time it's Summer" - to tide me over.

I think what I liked, too, is it wasn't the usual suspects dominating the challenges.  Yes, we had mini-Joe killing it for his tribe, but Janet was a powerhouse there.  I thought overall that tribe worked well together and there were no obvious weak links.  Orange tribe seemed strong, but didn't know how to work together.  I don't know that there really is a weak link over there.  But it was nice seeing the older and not physically fit castaways actually doing well for once, and not just getting the path cleared for them.

I love going back in between seasons and binge watching old ones.  I know it isn't for everybody, but I sometimes feel like I'm watching for the first time-because despite knowing what happens, there is so much I forgot about or didn't observe the first time around.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 8

As far as first eps go, this one was pretty good IMO. I already like it more concept-wise than last season.

I could tell Elaine wasn't going to go anywhere.  She has one of those personalities that they will milk to death, like Tai.  She already seems like the star of the season.

It was fun to see Rob and Sandra this episode, but I can see how it will get old fast. I couldn't believe Elizabeth took that fool's challenge. It was so obviously a sucker's bet. Lucky for her that her vote didn't matter. I was a little surprised they actually made her write out "No Vote". So she easily could have had a mess on her hands.

Already a lowkey manly man hero edit and candidate for Jeff's favorite with the guy helping everybody up the wall. (Jack?) 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Well that depends on if the other people that go the IOI tell their tribes exactly what it is. I am thinking not everyone will.

(I would also point out we were only shown her telling the lie to the entire group. I wonder what she told her allies in one to one conversations)

If that's the case, then I'm wondering what that means overall for Elizabeth's game.  Because at this point, it looks like she's keeping it to herself.  She has to know, eventually, someone from her tribe will go.  So if she did reveal to some of them what IOTI was really like, why not show it-unless they are going to use her initial deceit to edit her as a liar down the road and secure her downfall.

• Love 3

So glad Ronnie is gone, since he was obnoxious and interchangeable with Notronnie, whose name I now have to learn.

Did Bahston Rahb ever have to do a fire challenge at tribal council, or just around camp?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I thought, even with the island of giant heads, this one episode already beat the POS season that was EOE.  I had a hard time telling Aaron and Ronnie apart, but both were equally annoying, and I was fine with either one of them leaving.

And speaking of POS seasons, off to watch the Big Brother finale!

Like 1000 times!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Can’t stand Boston Rob. Every time I see him I want to slap that smug smile off his face. 

I am very glad that both Vince and Elaine survived. But that guy that also voted Vince better do some scrambling because he is obviously not in with the popular crowd!

I loved that Aaron and Ronnie thought they were the popular crowd, but learned otherwise when the votes were read.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18

I've been so underwhelmed by Survivor recently that I barely remembered that the premiere was tonite. I was bored for most of it. I think there is something about opening with a traditional marooning that gets your blood pumping and I def missed that.

This is the first season in quite a few yrs that I went in preview and spoiler free and I thought the editing worked because I did not have a doubt that Ronnie was going as soon as he approached Elaine.

I don't know how long I will go unspoiled or even if I will watch the rest of the season so I will just make a note right now that Karishma (Larishma?) is my winner pick.

• Love 1

I think every season was better than EoE, May that never happen again! I’m cool with BR and S if for nothing else but their snark. I liked that the puzzle was the TC set, nice set. And I liked that Ronnie’s gone and Elaine didn’t even get a vote. 

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 17
21 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

If that's the case, then I'm wondering what that means overall for Elizabeth's game.  Because at this point, it looks like she's keeping it to herself.  She has to know, eventually, someone from her tribe will go.  So if she did reveal to some of them what IOTI was really like, why not show it-unless they are going to use her initial deceit to edit her as a liar down the road and secure her downfall.

What are they going to show?   Elizabeth saying... I went to Idol Island.  Boston Rob and Sandra and their giant heads were there.  They imparted game changing knowledge that I couldn't have possibly learned in the thirty eight seasons this show has been on the air... when there is a reasonable chance you've been cast on this show learn to make fire.

Honestly, this feels a bit like a Gen X parent that doesn't understand their kids' fascination with those youtube gamer commentator videos (which I only know of via a South Park episode and do not understand) decided to try to work that concept into Survivor.

They are basically having them recap game play by mentoring and delivering hushed snark while hiding at tribal council.  Its going to get really old really fast.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I loved not having the marooning to start it off.  It was a nice change, and I really didn’t need to see a bunch of live chickens thrown overboard into the water.  Kind of reminded me of some of the old school season openings. 

It was very random that they skipped the marooning but I can’t say I missed it either.  It’s not like the old days when they had to row or hike for hours, now it’s just a bunch of people standing on a beach while Probst asks pointless questions. 

Ew. I forgot about the creepy touchy guy. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Survivor.  PLEASE GIVE VINCE PANTS.

OMG, YES!  From your mouth to CBS's ears.  Why would a guy go on Survivor with such a pair of flimsy briefs?  Does he just think his dick is God's gift to womankind? 

Can someone answer a question about the IC for me?  I'm not sure why the losing tribe, after they couldn't complete their 2nd hut, went back and disassembled their 1st hut.   Were the pieces interchangeable to the extent that a piece unique to the 2nd hut could have mistakenly been put into the first one?  Or were they all distinct and unique?  Because Jeff didn't say, and the winning team apparently just went forward with one hut after the other without this issue. 

• Love 2

Ugh, I detest Boston Rob, and hope somehow they get to vote him off.

I don't like Tom already.  He's one of those Alpha types who wants to run everything.

I'll bet Rob and Sandra don't spend their whole time on that island.  They're probably living in luxury till they have to put on their Survivor duds and sneak over.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 1 “Now with 20% Less Jeff!”:

* Late arrival, short tribal ... Probst is either phoning it in or letting the cast tell the story.  Or both.

Whatever he's been doing, seeing him hang off the side of that helicopter tells me it hasn't been leg day at the gym.

6 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'll bet Rob and Sandra don't spend their whole time on that island.  They're probably living in luxury till they have to put on their Survivor duds and sneak over.

Ain't no way they're in that hut.   100% they're in the cushy production area.  Peachy probably sleeps with Boston Rob like his teddy bear.

• LOL 17
  • Love 5

I know this was only the first episode of the season, but I'm liking it so far. I'm so glad that Elaine stayed. I like her and hope she hangs on. 

Good riddance to Ronnie. Didn't like him. Also didn't like Dan's touchy feely thing he had going on. 

Where at Tribal Council are Rob and Sandra? I'm guessing they can't be seen?

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm not seeing anything wrong with that?

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Off to a good start, I think. As usual, it’ll take me weeks to learn everybody’s name (and probably even longer to notice some people are even there) but it seems like an engaging cast so far. 

For you and everyone else that starts in the same boat, I've already got the Tribe Tracker thread up and running.

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Can someone answer a question about the IC for me?  I'm not sure why the losing tribe, after they couldn't complete their 2nd hut, went back and disassembled their 1st hut.   Were the pieces interchangeable to the extent that a piece unique to the 2nd hut could have mistakenly been put into the first one?  Or were they all distinct and unique?  Because Jeff didn't say, and the winning team apparently just went forward with one hut after the other without this issue. 

In the completed purple tribe puzzle, it looked like there were pairs of huts with the same colors painted on the 6 corners.  Which meant that there were 3 sets of pieces, plus 6 roofs.  So it does seem possible that Orange did get the pieces on their first pair of huts mixed up.

31 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

Where at Tribal Council are Rob and Sandra? I'm guessing they can't be seen?

Look behind the cast after they sit down.  There's a structure there with walls and a blocked-off window.  That's where I assume they are.

Peachy may have said that the theme of TC was "how hard it is to vote someone out", but the theme of the episode was "trust your gut".  That's one of the lessons Elizabeth learned on IotI, but it was lesson Elaine had already learned.  And good on her for doing so.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Can’t stand Boston Rob. Every time I see him I want to slap that smug smile off his face. 

Me too and I don't think I'm going to make it through to the end.

I don't like Queen Sandra either, so I'll probably bail after next week.

Two pompous conceited Survivor whores.

• Love 11

I enjoyed this episode so much more than the dumpster fire that was EoE. A nice change - the first few interviews were all with women. I think there were like five women intros before we got a guy. I'm hoping a strong woman wins this season.

Boston Rob is not my favorite at all and I find him way too smug, but I think he and Sandra play off each other well (I liked him best in HvV) so this could be fun.

Biggest laugh was Ronnie's vote out words saying something like he doesn't know how the poker community will take his being the first out. I think they'll survive.

Also maybe Ronnie should do a "job off" with Debbie.

Edited by Steph Sometimes
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No real germaphobe would EVER go on Survivor

Maybe germaphobe isn’t the proper term but I’m the exact same way. She said she didn’t like other people’s germs and I get what she meant. I don’t care about getting dirty or whatever but I do get sick very easily so I try to avoid touching other people, doorknobs, elevator buttons, communal pens, etc. When I shake hands with someone, I literally feel twitchy until I can get to the Purell.

59 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

For you and everyone else that starts in the same boat, I've already got the Tribe Tracker thread up and running.

I do appreciate the effort but, unfortunately, it doesn’t really help me put the names to the faces while I’m watching. (Especially so early in the season when most of the people are still extras in the background.)

• Love 3

20 people is just too damn many. My early favorite is Elaine, but it's hard to remember most of the cast when all these names are constantly being thrown at you.

ITA that Elizabeth's lying about the Island will come back to bite her. There would have been little or no downside to just telling the truth, especially when it will be found out soon enough anyway.

• Love 7

These people...I swear, they're all acting like it's day 5 on Survivor, not day 1.  Three people go off to get supplies and someone's like "THEY MUST GO."

Someone else is "I just don't want the drama or the slimey..." Who did they mean by slimey?

I just don't know.

I like Elaine. She's the first one so far whose name I know. 

I think Dan should've waited to get so close, physically, to people. I'm not a germaphobe but I wouldn't have been comfortable. 

Cripes, it's DAY ONE. Don't worry about who's with you at final tribal yet. 

I wasn't sure how I'd like seeing Rob & Sandra, but I like them there as mentors. 

Elaine "But these people have to realize that they have to make it to the end." So right - they're assuming they won't be off early.

Hearing Ronnie's resume, I wanted to boot him right then. RIGHT THEN. Dabbled in crypto, micronutrients, stock. OH, THE HUMANITY. Bye bye.

YES. I am so glad. I couldn't have standed hearing him bloviate for more of the season, and I guess the rest of the cast couldn't either.

Gosh, he looks so pissed off. ~snicker~

eta: I agree that Elizabeth shouldn't have lied. She should have just said "they have mentors over there" or a special feature, or something. Or "a contest" but not specified. There was no reason for that. 

Edited by txvoodoo
  • Love 7

It seemed like a lot of attorneys/law students for one season of Survivor.  What's up with that?

I loathe Rob and am not too fond of Sandra and thought their inclusion would mean I'm out this season but I didn't actually dislike them in the role/time given this episode. The episode was enjoyable unexpectedly and I was very surprised and pleased at the diversity of the cast.

For some reason I kept seeing Elaine as an older and wiser Pennsatucky (from Orange is the New Black). No offense to Elaine because I really like her.

My heart soared when I saw germaphope woman (too many names to remember in one night) having an honest and frank conversation with Dan about the touching and not simply talking about him behind his back and declaring to everyone but him that she was uncomfortable. It was such an adult thing to do and you so rarely see that. I have found that always works for me so was proud of her for doing that. We'll see if he alters his behavior now that he's been alerted to his boundary problem. I live in hope.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 15