Type keyword(s) to search

The Mosquito Coast Anticipation

• Start Topic

Based on the novel by Paul Theroux, The Mosquito Coast is the story of an idealist who uproots his family and moves them to Latin America. Neil Cross (Luther) is the adapter and showrunner. Justin Theroux stars.

Anticipate!

I read the book and watched the 1986 movie when it came out.   Much of the details are hazy after all these years - I remember the main plot of Harrison Ford moving his family to a remote jungle to live simply and things not exactly working out, but most everything else is a blur.  I recall that I got really immersed in the book - reading it multiple times, and was excited when I saw this new series advertised.  

I liked Justin Theroux in "The Leftovers" and hope he'll do a decent job.   The only negative I saw was from the commercial - there seemed to be a lot of focus on a teenaged girl (I presume the daughter of the family).  I know that some of the movie focused on the world through the eyes of River Phoenix, but I hope that the show doesn't turn into a teen angst drama.

Edited by patty1h
On 4/29/2021 at 4:49 PM, patty1h said:

I read the book and watched the 1986 movie when it came out.   Much of the details are hazy after all these years - I remember the main plot of Harrison Ford moving his family to a remote jungle to live simply and things not exactly working out, but most everything else is a blur.  I recall that I got really immersed in the book - reading it multiple times, and was excited when I saw this new series advertised.  

I liked Justin Theroux in "The Leftovers" and hope he'll do a decent job.   The only negative I saw was from the commercial - there seemed to be a lot of focus on a teenaged girl (I presume the daughter of the family).  I know that some of the movie focused on the world through the eyes of River Phoenix, but I hope that the show doesn't turn into a teen angst drama.

I am thoroughly enjoying the series so far. It really keeps you on the edge of your seat and there's very little "teen drama". Very strong performances all around.

Spoiler

Though, it does deviate significantly from the movie and original novel it's based on, in that there is the added element of the family being on the run from the government and having to avoid being caught, taking on multiple identities and having to enlist extra help to get over the Mexican border. 

It will be interesting to see what direction it goes.

• Useful 1