Type keyword(s) to search

Call Me Kat Anticipation: Such Fun

• Start Topic

I had never heard of this show until we started getting slammed with non-stop promos for it a few days ago.  To be brutally honest the promos are not doing the show any favours.  I'll probably tune in just to see Mayim Bialik.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised.  I'm not counting on it but I'm hoping.

• Love 1

Words really can't express how much I love the original Miranda (it's the one show all 6 of us in my family can agree on!), and this is...I don't know. Just doesn't seem as charming. And really, it's hard to top Gary (aka Tom Ellis). I might give it a try but I don't have high expectations, that's for sure.

• Love 3
On 1/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, pigs-in-space said:

Words really can't express how much I love the original Miranda

So that's why the whole concept seemed so familiar! LOL I had no clue it was a US Miranda. Miranda was magical, one of those where everything came together perfectly, the cast, the writing, the absurdity worked so well. When I saw the commercial for this one it felt more cheesy than cheeky. British humour is hard to translate to American. It works sometimes, the Office was clearly a hit here in the US, but this seems more like Coupling which was hilarious in the UK but fell flat in the US. I do like Mayim so I wish it well, but I hope it's better than the commercial made it seem. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

When I saw the commercial for this one it felt more cheesy than cheeky. British humour is hard to translate to American.

I know some pretty big US sitcoms were based on British comedies (Sanford and Son, Three's Comany and All in the Family come to mind) but in terms of more recent offerings I can't think of any that I watched (never saw The Office) that I felt worked.  I read somewhere that Cybill was based on AbFab.  I never saw that connection.  At all.  And it sounds like this may be the case here as well.  Very, very loosely based.  Time will tell if it stands on it's own but like you I didn't get the connection to Miranda until someone here clued me in.  

• Love 1

The first season of The Office was pretty dreadful as well.  It got much better, and blew up, once the writers found the voice for their version of the show vs. recycling the tone of the original. 

I'm always surprised when adaptations do straight up adaptations.  Doing that almost dooms them to not last long enough to find their own voice. 

• Love 1