I’m going to make this quick...ish.
1. The way they’re setting up this Maurice/Cassie relationship, I can’t help but root for them a little more each week. In real life, this situation would be a hard NO, but in STAR universe, I’m loving it. And Xander is gone!! YAY!!!! Did he kill himself or did Cassie shoot him from a distance?
2. Cotton finally gets a storyline 13 episodes into an 18 episode season, but her time was still so brief, we don’t even know what the plot really is. Also, does she work at Karma and are we supposed to know? If so, when did that happen?
3. Good to see Carlotta back. Can’t say I missed her the past couple of weeks but whenever she reappears, it’s so refreshing. She really grounds the other characters.
4. Star.... I know Jude was on maternity leave during this part of filming so they had to come up with storylines to explain her limited scenes, but they are really doing the most. And I really can’t find it in me to care or feel any type of sympathy. Then that whole Noah monologue by her bedside... I can’t without writing a novel. That leads me to my favorite subject...
5. Derek and Alex. *sigh* I really can’t. Even though I prefer Alex with Noah ( when he’s clean), I wouldn’t be bothered by Dalex if not for the piss poor writing. They have spent the better part of three seasons being ‘cute’ but not communicating. Now, in two episodes they’ve become talking experts. Now, suddenly Derek is sensitive about Noah and Alex is sensitive to Derek’s feelings about Noah. But haven’t Derek and Noah been ‘cool’ the last few episodes, dappin’ it up (which I mentioned repeatedly was unrealistic)?! And you mean Derek had no problem with, or Alex didn’t feel any awkwardness taking Noah to the Sapphire party? Or hugging Noah in front of his face at the ASA nomination party? But now she can’t perform with him. I get the history behind the last time they performed ( especially that song) together, but it’s still a reach. If they’re no longer feeling each other, it shouldn’t be an issue. You can’t literally be buddy buddy with your ex one minute and be trippin’ the next. What bothers me the most is that the writers want to invalidate that Noah and Alex ever truly cared for each other. I would’ve bought it as a steamy affair she regretted had it been a couple of hook ups. But Alex spent too much time fighting her feelings for Noah even after Derek broke up with her, which indicated her feelings went deeper than the surface, and then when she did finally hook up with him, she DATED him. It wasn’t just sex. But I digress. Despite ALL of that, if the writers had at least attempted to show how remorseful Alex was or made her work harder (or at all) to get Derek back, I wouldn’t be looking at my TV in disbelief every week; nor thinking that Derek is too soft. And now we have this proposal which will most likely lead to a wedding in the season finale, where something is bound to happen. *sighs again* Again, if someone has a different perspective, please share. I want to understand.
I’m done. Thank you for coming to my sad and repetitive TED talk.