Type keyword(s) to search

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I am mildly surprised the verse is in contemporary English not King James.
  3. This was one which sounded really interesting to me, so I hope HBO eventually changes their minds.
  4. I did get UNCF but did the same thing you did with CERN. My dad used to have some sort of obsession with Toshiro Mifune. Not sure why, as he didn't watch foreign films, but I guess the actor was in a WWII movie he saw. Dad loved his WWII movies. (Edited to note: Some googling gave me Hell in the Pacific with Lee Marvin - that had to be it.) I remembered the commercials I used to see for it, with the aforementioned "A mind is a terrible thing to waste" as the tagline. That's how I knew it. I also remember this infamous Vice Presidential moment: "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." (Vice President Dan Quayle - this was part of his address to the United Negro College Fund, whose slogan is "a mind is a terrible thing to waste")" Me too.
  5. I remember that after reading the play in high school (and I was already familiar with it and loved it), we were led to the school auditorium to watch this movie. And I was frankly puzzled: why were so many lines missing, while bits never dreamed of by Shakespeare (like the ballet sequences) went on interminably? I was alternately frustrated and bored. Now, all these years later, I find it rather fascinating, but for the surrounding circumstances rather than its contents. The legendary director Max Reinhardt, having fled Germany, directed a spectacular production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Hollywood Bowl and then was invited to make a film (with Olivia De Havilland and Mickey Rooney retained from the stage cast, but movie people otherwise imported). His theatrical taste was probably already becoming a bit old-fashioned at the time, and was certainly idiosyncratic; that pas de deux of the sinister male fairy carrying off the fluttering female fairy was evidently important to him, as he had included it in the live production as well. I may just be insensitive to ballet, but I'd rather get on with the story (it's a good story, after all). And I have to remind myself that there was little tradition for Shakespeare on film at that date, so to see such a sumptuous production must have meant a lot to those interested. And it launched Eric Wolfgang Korngold in his groundbreaking film-music career; he adapted and arranged Mendelssohn's music here and was given a free hand with it, and its effectiveness got him launched into his many wonderful film scores. Now we're spoiled for choice with movies of this play. Last I looked, just Prime had 3 or 4 to offer (many of them recent ones that I had no idea existed). So I find it easier to be indulgent toward the oddball charms of the 1935 one, even if I roll my eyes at some of the acting and can't consider it a satisfying rendering of the play.
  6. I'd like to DITTO this post, it saved me a lot of time typing the same thing! I watched yesterday's show last night and loved Lily siding with Billy on Matey Nate Nate, who like Darvon, appeared shocked he wasn't made a Board member. Having said that, that is not a real Board. Boards have others not in the C Suite on them, and there are strict agenda rules to follow, most quite tedious tbh. You don't waltz in and say you want to vote on a new Board member WITH that non Board member in a Board meeting when he's, yanno, not a Board member! The whole scene was preposterous. I realized something last night watching the Lily/Mamie scene. Firstly, it's not Jill causing thr problems, it's always Mamie. It is she who is obsessed with besting Jill and pulling one over on her. I loved Lily telling her off, but she doesn't even respond when Lily infers it is Mamie causing all thr trouble. I hope Lily continues to nit let Mamie bully her into carrying out her very personal agenda. I cracked up when The Three Stooges were standing in the hallway natyering on about where Jordan might be and Dave yells put, 'Thats all I know!' FOR some reason that just landed very funny.
  7. Nothing about this episode or the whole Maddie arc makes sense because the story only exists to service St. Olivia. The writers wanted certain beats to happen and forced the story to fit those beats. Whole plot points were discarded and logic went out the window. I still cringe at the idea that "the only witness" was the drug dealer from Pittsburgh who conveniently dies off screen in jail when you have the guy from Episode One who paid George to kidnap Maddie for him, and the guy George sold Maddie to in a later episode. What happened to those guys and the forensic accounting linking George to them? How did St. Olivia's detectives not notice the lock of Maddie's hair in that necklace he was wearing around his neck? Why when that was pointed out to them by Maddie did Carisi not secure that as evidence? I could go on about how badly this whole arc was written just to prop up St. Olivia.
  8. With truly all due respect, having money may allow for more options in treating the disease, but it won't fix mental issues by itself. In fact, it can lead to a whole different level of psychological problems.
  9. https://www.vulture.com/article/palm-royale-recap-episode-8-maxine-saves-the-whale.html I commend to you all this vulture recap, which sets forth the incomprehensible goings on. I had forgotten a few plot twists.
  10. He did help his mum and younger brother at that time at 25 because in addition to working as a busser/VPR castmember he created See You Next Tuesday at 25 and made a LOT of money doing it, which is why he was so anxious and heartbroken when he lost it. And the mother was begging Lisa to rehire him. I think he also had other DJ gigs. James is a hustler.
  11. No, the make up pieces themselves are toys. There is nothing on the mascara wand or powder puff.
  12. I said Standard Oil only because standard was in the clue. Oh well. Okay, yes, Nam was incredibly annoying in his intro. Glad Mark won.
  13. Well I EXPECT a car not to hit me as I'm crossing the road because well hello, pedestrian right of way and all that plus it's not cool to kill someone with you car but that doesn't mean I don't TAKE CAUTION when crossing the road. There is a certain amount of responsibility that a person has to NOT be careless and just toss themselves into oncoming traffic. A certain responsibility to want to AVOID hazardous situations that have the potential to cause harm. To be reckless in a sense that you are purposely engaging in questionable behavior DESIGNED to create a volatile atmosphere is what I find fault with. We can wax poetic all day long about how "it's never okay, yada yada, yada" but its not some well hidden secret that some people will get physical for behavior like that. So why take the chance? Chastising it doesn't change it and I for one am not going to wade in dangerous waters just because technically I can and people who do throw caution to the wind and take such gambles don't get much sympathy from me cause the same way it's supposed to be so easy to keep hands to oneself its even easier to choose ones words carefully. To put it simply. Don't start none, won't be none.
  14. I miss Dottie, too. I've enjoyed that actress ever since she played "Lilly" on "Ryan's Hope"!!!
  15. No. Both the app and website work fine for me.
  16. I don't understand why Carol Burnett is trying to kill Maxine, TBH. There is too much back story missing. And why did Carol reject Rosenhips? They didn't show us. Are we supposed to think that Doug cares for Maxine? He doesn't really seem to like her.
  17. I could see Roboburger at a rest stop - ones that only have vending machines. You have a little time and something hot might be appealing. But would need servicing to refresh ingredients, if nothing else.
  18. Oh, by the way, Big salt shaker with black lid found behind the stove. The small shaker with yellow lid is pretty big: 5" tall and 2" in diameter. But the one for the kitchen is bigger: 6" tall by 2½" diameter. Doesn't seem like it but it holds almost twice as much salt. I have an even smaller shaker that would be more than suited for the table, but it contains garlic powder. If I re-tasked it, where would I put the garlic? These are old, repurposed spice containers. The trouble is, most such containers nowadays have flip-up lids. Designed for people who are too lazy to twist off a screw-on lid, they don't seal properly. If you use one of these, the container absorbs moisture from the air and in a few days the salt is slushy. By the end of the week you have brine sloshing around in there. Of course, you could put dry rice in with the salt, which helps with (but does not eliminate) the problem. And the rice itself gets waterlogged in a while and needs to be replaced.....
  19. Why wasn't Liz at the party seeing as she's dating the groom's brother? Also, someone needs to call Jackie and tell her that her son is getting married so she can drag her butt out of whatever mine shaft she's fallen into and get over here.
  20. I totally relate to James's issues about leaving the pets. I have it too, and my cats have not been through what Hippie has. I couldn't care less that Sheana plays with makeup with her kid. Fuck it, lots of people do that. I did when I was little and I barely wear makeup now -- somehow, despite plating with it, I never quite learned how to be adept at it (or even patient enough to allow myself to become adept at it, haha!).
  21. Oh great, yet another missing teenage girl for Olivia to obsesses over and Make Personal, we haven't had enough of that lately. I know that the episode was trying to make this into some sort of clunk Little Red Riding Hood riff, but between the stupid oily evil teen boys, the ominous cell phone calls, and the main character being a teenage girl named Sidney, all I could think about was Scream. "Hello Sydney..." This episode was so full of cringe, from Olivia's awkward chats with Noah, who still seems like a precocious eight year old even as he hits his teen years to her taking over as hostage negotiator, it had the bones of a decent story but the actual COTW took a backseat to more Olivia worship. Its funny how when other cops engage in police brutality and coercion its bad, but when Olivia does it, its totally fine.
  22. I didn't like how Chris Oh didn't get his breakfast item even on the table to be judged, but yet he won the lunch round and got immunity and didn't have to cook the dinner challenge. I think he still should've had to cook dinner. That didn't seem fair to me. Add me to the ABC - anyone but Carlos - club. In fairness though, I did see him making coffee for the other chefs in the breakroom when he could've been resting. I think he can be a nice guy, but his manic antics are too much for me to enjoy watching him cook.
  23. Thanks for clarifying! I thought May 7th seemed awfully soon for the season finale. I'm not super attached to Luke / Scott so I'll roll with whomever replaces him.
  24. I mostly agree, and I think it's peculiar to American sitcoms that there has to be romantic pairings. You can look at just about any ensemble sitcom in America and find the same thing. I guess networks and/or American sitcom writers think American audiences expect and demand it. But if I were to rationalize, I'd point out that through most of the history we know about, Jay and Sam are the first romantic couple to own Woodstone. Previous owners were single or in unhappy marriages. So having a young couple actually in love might have given the ghosts ideas - especially since they are able to communicate with a living for the first time in their ghostly existence. I also like to think that their newfound ability to communicate with a living has given the ghosts a sort of "awakening." The kind that will eventually lead to them finding out what they need in order to be sucked off. That has to be the end game for a show like this.
  25. Dark Matter is a nine episode Sci-Fi thriller TV Series streaming its first two episodes on May 8, 2024 on Apple TV+. Dark Matter is based on a 2016 novel by Blake Crouch. Dark Matter follows Jason Dessen, a physicist, professor and family man who — one night while walking home on the streets of Chicago — is abducted into an alternate dimension and an alternate version of his life. His wonder quickly turns into a nightmare as he tries to return to "his reality" amid the mind-bending number of landscapes "of lives he might have lived". Through this labyrinth of "possible realities", Jason embarks on a harrowing journey to get back to his one "true reality", his "real family", and to save them from a terrifying, unbeatable foe. Jason Dessen travels the multiverse in a big black box and finds out that each different choice that he makes creates new universes that run parallel to his own. Joel Edgerton as Jason Dessen, an abducted physicist Jennifer Connelly as Daniela Vargas Dessen, Jason's wife Oakes Fegley as Charlie Dessen, Jason's son Alice Braga as Amanda Lucas, a psychiatrist Jimmi Simpson as Ryan Holder, a brilliant neuroscientist and friend of Jason Dayo Okeniyi as Leighton Vance, an executive for a high-tech laboratory Amanda Brugel as Blaire Caplan, Daniela's best friend and "a total badass Marquita Brooks as Dawn Blake Crouch (author), has a small cameo
  1. Load more activity