Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Illegal Tender

• Start Topic

The Cramps actually did play at the PPAD. It's cut out of the newer versions of the show for music copyright reasons. I'm not sure if it was actually this episode - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was a Halloween episode from a few seasons earlier (possibly the Ray Pruit-with-one-T years.)

• Love 2

I mean...Kelly is well within her rights to feel betrayed by Brandon, to be pissed, to dump him for cause, etc.  Buuut, being all "You're a cheating monster!" is a little rich from the woman who messed around with Dylan behind Brenda's back and expected Brenda to get over it pretty quickly after that truth came out, who kissed John Sears while she was with Dylan, who kissed Dylan while she was with Brandon, and who kissed Brandon while he was still with Tracy.

Ditto her attitude when she thought Steve was the cheater.  And why did she think he would be asking for her forgiveness if he had cheated on Carly?  And why would Kelly care about Carly's feelings, have they ever talked?

So yeah...right church, wrong pew, Kel.

• Love 19
54 minutes ago, calamityjean said:

The Cramps actually did play at the PPAD. It's cut out of the newer versions of the show for music copyright reasons. I'm not sure if it was actually this episode - in fact, I'm pretty sure it was a Halloween episode from a few seasons earlier (possibly the Ray Pruit-with-one-T years.)

I had to look it up to be sure, it was the season 6 Halloween episode, the one where Ray becomes Hobo Clown. “Bad Music For Bad People” indeed!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And why would Kelly care about Carly's feelings, have they ever talked?

I was thinking about Carly's interaction with folks on the show because I heard rumors she hated it there because the girls were catty.  I only seem to remember her sharing scenes with Steve, Donna, and the one time with Val at the hair salon.  Was she mingling with everyone at the Walsh house at Christmas?  They just didn't try hard to integrate her into the cast at all.

I mean...Kelly is well within her rights to feel betrayed by Brandon, to be pissed, to dump him for cause, etc.  Buuut, being all "You're a cheating monster!" is a little rich from the woman who messed around with Dylan behind Brenda's back and expected Brenda to get over it pretty quickly after that truth came out, who kissed John Sears while she was with Dylan, who kissed Dylan while she was with Brandon, and who kissed Brandon while he was still with Tracy.

But...but...but... (cat butt)...Kelly didn't "make love" with any of those people.

And you forgot she kissed Brandon while she was with Dylan before she kissed Dylan again when she was with Brandon...and kissed Brandon again when she was with Colin.

Ditto her attitude when she thought Steve was the cheater.  And why did she think he would be asking for her forgiveness if he had cheated on Carly?  And why would Kelly care about Carly's feelings, have they ever talked?

Perhaps Kelly's trait...acting like her shit never smelled when she "reformed."

LMAO WTF WITH THAT PAINTING OVER THE BED?!! And what is that square yellow label in the lower right corner? It's probably for sale or something. Maybe someone on the crew painted it. "We'll show it on air and then everyone will want it!"

• Love 2
5 hours ago, benteen said:

And she's not done with this type of thing.  Doesn't she hook up with Dylan at some point next season while still with Matt or while he's with Gina?

• Love 1

Hahahahahaha!! Doesn’t every security office have a bed? Personally, that kid worked my last nerve. Too bad he didn’t run off with the clown and join the circus. And why can’t Donna warm up to a kiss? That mouth opens and the tongue comes out the second the kiss starts. It’s like sex without the foreplay.

• Love 1

Christ, we’re only halfway through season 8!

This whole Emma storyline and the slap feels like the writers decided to “Melrose Place”-up the show as a substitute for character development.

• Love 4

Add "cassettes," to the list of things Brandon holds obnoxiously.

Donna's kissing is so gross. I wish someone could ask Vincent Young now just how awful it was.

Kelly slapping Emma pissed me off. Did she slap Steve too?

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, kfree9 said:

One of St. Kelly’s (Kelly 2.0)defining characteristics I think is that she hates other women. The only bond with another female I think she’s ever made has been with Tara Streetchild. She’s a pretty shitty friend to Donna. She never really seemed to like Clare that much. And of course she hates Valerie. Her plots have pretty much all been about her relationships with men. Basically she’s the worst person ever and Emma should’ve answered that slap with a punch right in Kelly’s stupid cat butt mouth.

• Love 7
  12 hours ago, kfree9 said:

One of St. Kelly’s (Kelly 2.0)defining characteristics I think is that she hates other women. The only bond with another female I think she’s ever made has been with Tara Streetchild. She’s a pretty shitty friend to Donna. She never really seemed to like Clare that much. And of course she hates Valerie. Her plots have pretty much all been about her relationships with men. Basically she’s the worst person ever and Emma should’ve answered that slap with a punch right in Kelly’s stupid cat butt mouth.

I would agree. I don't think this was intentional by any means but one could say that Kelly was filled with a lot of self-loathing. Her character turned a lot when she decided to date Brandon- very self righteous, probably because deep down, she knows that her original self was someone that Brandon rejected (in the spring fling). So, she basically became what Brandon wanted (truly a model girlfriend). She's slept with almost every male on the show yet she throws a lot of shade at anyone who reminds her of her former self.

Oh, I miss the old Kelly... the one who openly admited to stalking a boy in 8th grade and was fine with the occasional Steve hook up.

• Love 5

Add "cassettes," to the list of things Brandon holds obnoxiously.

Donna's kissing is so gross. I wish someone could ask Vincent Young now just how awful it was.

I think Tori Spelling and Vince Young were dating in real life at the time.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, TeeVee329 said:

In the episode before, when Steve/Brandon ask for Kelly's advice, doesn't Brandon say something like "who you do choose"? Was that a subtle reference to the "I choose me"?

While I think that Kelly is a hypocrite, her cheating tends to be more emotional /slow burning.  She didn't cheat on anyone as a one-night stand or just out of blue.  She did everything but(t) with Dylan while he was with Brenda.  I still didn't understand why Brandon cheated.  He doesn't seem like he would be easily seduced.  He seems like he would fall in love with someone else and then be torn. 

• Love 1

Yeah I remember none of these episodes. I feel like soapnet skipped a whole bunch of episodes. I never have seen these episodes and the podcast clips do not make me want to.

The last few times the POP channel ran the series, they stopped after college and returned to the glory years. And now they don't even run it at all.

• Love 1
  On 4/2/2018 at 12:09 PM, benteen said:

And she's not done with this type of thing.  Doesn't she hook up with Dylan at some point next season while still with Matt or while he's with Gina?

Yes both things are true. But then we find out that Matt is married to an incurable schizophrenic that can only live in the world if she procures mysterious drugs from Mexico or something. Gina is not amused and still thinks Kelly is a slut, thanks Gina.

• Love 1

Oh the melodrama. "I'm going to the store" "I'm not hungry I've lost my appetite cheater!" That cassette tape is hilarious too. I am picturing Emma spending hours with a dual-cassette boom box making dubs on those clear tapes with the fun pink confetti design. She didn't even use the higher quality Memorex black tapes.

• Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, yousetmeupyoucrud said:

Kelly hates other women...so she's basically like Cersei from Game of Thrones.

Is Kelly really going to go so far as to slap Emma in the face based on the fact that she thinks Steve cheated on Carly with her? That seems like an overreaction to something that is not her business. I mean, has she even slapped Valerie in the face ever, for the many things they have squabbled over? How about start with slapping Steve and see how that goes, and then go over to the lady you have known for two weeks and slap her. It is only dumb luck that Kelly was wrong all along and Emma fucked Brandon. Which is still not a reason to slap Emma instead of Brandon. I wish Emma would have pressed charges, because that is known as assault!

• Love 4
(edited)

When a tiny pair of pants gets busted, fills with poo.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! You guys have such a way with words.

Edited by purist
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, ZeroDiscipline said:

Oh the melodrama. "I'm going to the store" "I'm not hungry I've lost my appetite cheater!" That cassette tape is hilarious too. I am picturing Emma spending hours with a dual-cassette boom box making dubs on those clear tapes with the fun pink confetti design. She didn't even use the higher quality Memorex black tapes.

She probably had the big pack of tapes that she used for her makeout mix tapes (you know she had one). Ah, tapes!  Mr. Curly made me a playlist recently and it was so cute... he picked the songs and everything, searching through his stash.  

• Love 1
On 04/04/2018 at 1:14 AM, CurlyATX said:

I would agree. I don't think this was intentional by any means but one could say that Kelly was filled with a lot of self-loathing. Her character turned a lot when she decided to date Brandon- very self righteous, probably because deep down, she knows that her original self was someone that Brandon rejected (in the spring fling). So, she basically became what Brandon wanted (truly a model girlfriend). She's slept with almost every male on the show yet she throws a lot of shade at anyone who reminds her of her former self.

Oh, I miss the old Kelly... the one who openly admited to stalking a boy in 8th grade and was fine with the occasional Steve hook up.

Mind blown. She basically changed herself to what she thought Brandon wanted. Oh Kelly...

I reckon if Brenda was still in the show, you wouldn't get this Kelly but you wouldn't have had Val and maybe Claire would be what Val is? I'm confused. 

• Love 4
On 4/4/2018 at 9:54 AM, CurlyATX said:

In the episode before, when Steve/Brandon ask for Kelly's advice, doesn't Brandon say something like "who you do choose"? Was that a subtle reference to the "I choose me"?

While I think that Kelly is a hypocrite, her cheating tends to be more emotional /slow burning.  She didn't cheat on anyone as a one-night stand or just out of blue.  She did everything but(t) with Dylan while he was with Brenda.  I still didn't understand why Brandon cheated.  He doesn't seem like he would be easily seduced.  He seems like he would fall in love with someone else and then be torn. 

I’m going to make some big generalizations here- but I agree with your analysis of Kelly for the following reasons:

I’ve noticed in a heteronormative framework, women are more likely to forgive cheating, and not judge other women for cheating, if there’s an emotional affair involved. Where as men are more likely to forgive cheating and not judge men or women for cheating if it was just an “itch” that needed to be scratched, and they have no intention of leaving their partner, or taking resources (money) away from their partner  

Kelly, self righteously never put herself in the “cheater” category because she had an emotional connection to the guys she cheated with (it’s a cop out but it happened).  Kelly was one of those people who always excused her wrong doing because “I feel bad”, so because she felt bad about it that absolved her from responsibility? I thought she always hated Val because she was jealous- Val made no apologies and never felt bad for being herself. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m going to make some big generalizations here- but I agree with your analysis of Kelly for the following reasons:

I’ve noticed in a heteronormative framework, women are more likely to forgive cheating, and not judge other women for cheating, if there’s an emotional affair involved. Where as men are more likely to forgive cheating and not judge men or women for cheating if it was just an “itch” that needed to be scratched, and they have no intention of leaving their partner, or taking resources (money) away from their partner  

Kelly, self righteously never put herself in the “cheater” category because she had an emotional connection to the guys she cheated with (it’s a cop out but it happened).  Kelly was one of those people who always excused her wrong doing because “I feel bad”, so because she felt bad about it that absolved her from responsibility? I thought she always hated Val because she was jealous- Val made no apologies and never felt bad for being herself. 

Yes . Kelly always made excuses for why it was valid that she was a cheater and if others do what she’s done , it’s unforgivable . I can see being in high school and having a crush on your friends guy and being young , stupid and immature .. but what sealed my hatred for Kelly was her self righteousness about doing the act . She never came off apologetic for more than 2 seconds and she couldn’t understand why Brenda would be upset with her . She made the whole situation seem as if Brenda was a girl in her way of getting who she wanted , meanwhile Dylan and Brenda were together for a couple of years .. And Kelly was always so busy trying to defend her “ reputation “ , meanwhile not understanding the fact that This is the reason she has a reputation . 

But ok you do it once and learn from your mistakes , fine . But then she goes and  cheats  on Brandon while they were happily in love all because ..... Dylan had a random dream that they were soulmates . He didn’t have to try very hard at all to get her to cheat on Brandon and cheating wasn’t even where it ended . She was going to leave Brandon to go travel the world with Dylan , all while Brandon thought they were  happily in love . And then after she chose “me” , she couldn’t understand why Brandon didn’t still want to be with her . She was the worst . 

• Love 5
On 1/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, CurlyATX said:

I thinks she also suggested to Brandon that they hook up one Thanksgiving when she was with Collin and he was with Susan. 

She DID! I am watching that episode right now (recorded from Pop). 

On 4/4/2018 at 8:54 AM, CurlyATX said:

I still didn't understand why Brandon cheated.  He doesn't seem like he would be easily seduced.  He seems like he would fall in love with someone else and then be torn. 

I just saw this episode. I never understood why or how Brandon was so sexually attracted to Emma.  And why was Emma so focused on Brandon?  She seemed more like the type who would go after an older, married, wealthier man. Emma could not have made it any clearer that her stupid article was about her and Brandon, even down to the ugly watch she bought for him.  Then poor Kelly cried to  Donna that he passed it off as a gift for her. No, Kelly, you found it and assumed it was for you. 

• LOL 3

I could buy that Brandon was a cheater . He cheated on Kelly with Emily and when Susan left town for a weekend , he was very down for cheating on her with Kelly . I also think at that point in K and B’s relationship , their chemistry / love had fizzled a lot to the point where they were more like brother and sister . I loved the beginning stages of Kelly and Brandon but I think they were written badly the second time around . They were both too holier than thou and every story line they had was very boring in season 8. 

• Love 2
On 3/10/2019 at 7:16 AM, alegtostandon said:

I just saw this episode. I never understood why or how Brandon was so sexually attracted to Emma.  And why was Emma so focused on Brandon?  She seemed more like the type who would go after an older, married, wealthier man. Emma could not have made it any clearer that her stupid article was about her and Brandon, even down to the ugly watch she bought for him.  Then poor Kelly cried to  Donna that he passed it off as a gift for her. No, Kelly, you found it and assumed it was for you. 

Now that I think about it, I think Emma was Brandon’s “Val substitute”-similar hair color and length, openly sexual attitude, etc. without the family friend/already dated all his friends/in the gang baggage. 

And he did meet Susan and Tracy through journalism, so the fact that she’s “hot”, also a writer, around a lot, and super interested in him is more than enough temptation.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2018 at 3:32 PM, TimeyWimey52 said:

LMAO WTF WITH THAT PAINTING OVER THE BED?!! And what is that square yellow label in the lower right corner? It's probably for sale or something. Maybe someone on the crew painted it. "We'll show it on air and then everyone will want it!"

That painting looks like the kind that used to hang in Boston Pizza in the late 90s-early 00s (any other Canadians know what I'm talking about?)