Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

As the nurses and midwives of Nonnatus House prepare to celebrate Sister Monica Joan's birthday, they face an influx of new patients when a nearby maternity home suddenly closes, leaving many expectant mothers in urgent need of support. Lucille treats a woman whose father has a long-hidden secret he feels he cannot hide any longer, while Tom and Nurse Crane struggle to move forward with their lives.

3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

but they got me at the end.

Right?  I thought this episode wasn't going to be as emotional as last week's since the funeral passed quickly, but that ending of Sister Monica Joan's life interwoven with moments from the show killed me.  I was a mess.  But I loved Sister Winifred keeping Barbara's clothes because she felt Tom gave them up too quickly and Sister Monica Joan not wanting everyone to wallow in their grief.  Oh and the little message from Trixie!  I hope this means she'll be back for the Christmas special.

Phyllis' grief manifested emotionally and physically, I really felt her pain (& Tom's).  I was glad she was able to help the young mother, despite their Rocky start.

I kinda loved the gay father's story…even his wife realized he would do well being loved by his partner.  And his partner admitting he didn't know who the daughter was but…"I know you're someone we love" was awesome.  As was the daughter deciding love was what was mattered.  

• Love 12

This season has been such soul sucking sadness.   It was at the end for me of crying, but just too much down.  I know this show prides itself on needing people to take out stock in Kleenex.  But some light to counteract the dark would be something.  

"I know you're somebody we love" is really, truthfully how my maternal grandfather spent the last few years.  I looked after him a lot his last year of life because I was just out of college and looking for work and my sibs/mom/aunts could pay my expenses looking after him more than they could afford to take off time themselves.   When we tried hiring people he knew he didn't know them.   He'd get really agitated.  But if I was there, or any of my sibs, mother/aunts.  He was calm.  He point blank asked me who I was a few times.  I'd show him a picture on the wall from when I was 13 and he'd say, "That's an old photo."  But he'd go on with his life.  He'd tell me stories about my mother and say he hadn't seen her in too long because she lived in North Carolina (she hadn't lived there in years but she had for a very long time) when she was in the next room.  But when she popped back in the room he was happy to have her there... whomever he thought she was.   It was such good time I spent with him and I wouldn't trade it.  But I guarantee you there was a whole cadre of people he couldn't name or place at any given moment, but he always knew we belonged to him.   

So that comment got me a little... because it was true to my experience.  That was a story I liked.  

• Love 23

Their dementia storylines are among their best written and most moving storylines for me. Sister Monica Joan regularly breaks my heart and while Barbara's funeral was sad it was watching the former Navy man struggle through his dementia test that hurt me. He was trying so hard but it was obvious he would fail. 

• Love 8
On 3/13/2018 at 7:04 PM, snowwhyte said:

it was watching the former Navy man struggle through his dementia test that hurt me. He was trying so hard but it was obvious he would fail.

Me too. That actor is David Calder, and he is one of those British actors who has been around forever and is always, always good. Same with David Bamber, who played his partner (Olive's dad). It was a treat seeing the two of them in such wonderful roles.

ETA: Of course, David Bamber played the odious Mr Collins in the BBC's 1995 Pride and Prejudice series. So good!

Edited by purist
  • Love 8

Since it's being brought up in 706 because we watched it in the USA over the weekend.  I thought I would post my comment here, after we know that Barbara dies.  This fear is that they are killing off Barbara because either Jack or Helen have stated that they are not comfortable with one or both of them kissing other people.  Here are my thoughts.

I don't think Barbara's death, will go the route of putting Trixie and Tom back together.  Helen George has said in interviews that she likes not having a lot of shared screen time with Jack because it helps for them to keep their private life, private.  The actress who plays Barbara has also stated that she wanted to leave the show.  She felt that her character arc was complete and didn't want become complacent in her career.  She wanted to move on to other things.

Although I do think that T/T do have better chemistry than T/B and I would like to see them together again or at least revisit it; I honestly do not see it happening.   TBH, I suspect that Trixie is going to come back and Chris is going to try to push her into starting a relationship with him again.  I liked Chris in the beginning, but to be honest I don't like him too much anymore.  He is kind of pushy and materialistic.  He has even said that there is no excuse for a woman to ever not look your best.  Granted I know that Trixie can be pushy and materialistic, but she would never look down on anyone for not looking perfect.  I am kind of seeing why Christopher ex-wife might be bitter and hate him and Trixie if she once felt like she was being pushed into being this perfectly well kept woman.  We all know that there are plenty of reasons why we might not look our best when we have young children at home.  Or maybe because we just don't like make up and high heels.  Trixie has calmed down alot in the series and I would to see her in a relationship with someone a bit less, I don't know....less..... If she Christopher and Trixie were to get married I don't see him being understanding of her going out at all hours of the night to deal with patients or plans or dinner being ruined because she has a mother's labor taking longer.  I think that he would want her to stop working, and I think Trixie needs her work.  I mean even when she was with Tom, there were other factors that ruined their relationship but the catalyst was the thought that she might have to give up midwifery to go with him to another parish.

• Love 1

Well, here I am, crying again. The moment that really got me going was when Uncle Donald said "I know you're someone we love." And after that, we had Phyllis with new baby Barbara, and Reggie with the carousel.  

The birthday party at the end, I was pretty meh. I'm often meh on Sister Monica Joan's storylines. 

They made up for the lack of midwifery moments for sure. Jenny Agutter on the post-show piece was in the right of it - those moments of a baby's birth are the heart of the show. I get teary every time.

• Love 2
On 4/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, LadyChaos said:

This fear is that they are killing off Barbara because either Jack or Helen have stated that they are not comfortable with one or both of them kissing other people.

I highly doubt that's true, but if so, Jack and Helen should get out of the acting business.

• Love 10

This episode felt like it could have (Heaven forbid!) ended the show quite well.  And I don't mind saying I boo-hooed through the last 10 minutes of it, but in a good way - in a way that I haven't since, oh, season 4-ish.

I wondered if they were going to touch on the JFK assassination, and I'm glad they did, even if it was brief.  (With them being in England, I know it wouldn't be the huge deal it was Stateside.)  It was a great way to bring Sister Monica Joan into a profound and lucid moment, which are the good ones for her (in my opinion).

Also... Phyllis is officially my favorite.  If you have to ask why, you may never know.

• Love 12

Well i cried from beginning to end...whew it wore me out.  When i watch this show I imagine my mom sitting next to me watching...wishful thinking shes been gone 32 year...but it comforts me.  

• Love 13

Cried from start to finish. All those babies, “youre someone we love”, Barbara’s funeral, Reggie and the carousel, and Sister Monica Joan’s tribute. I’m just getting to the stage of my life where I am thinking about legacy, and the future and watching Sister Monica Joans’ life literally flash past our eyes hit pretty close to home. I was ugly crying...

• Love 18

It was so poignant to briefly see Fred's face as the war images were shown. As I've said, Fred has really, really grown on me. Violet's good for him.

I wish they'd stayed on the photo of the three nuns a little longer. I knew one had to be Sister Evangelina, but I only could tell Sister Julienne in that brief time.

• Love 6

One of the cut scenes was from the preview last week. WTH, PBS? We saw Tom return and go to Nonnatus House, but the scene with Barbara's laundry and Tom throwing a chair in rage was cut. GRR.

I'll be glad for the DVDs so I can actually SEE these.

• Love 4

I wouldn't have known there was a photo of Chummy's wedding if the recap hadn't mentioned it. I couldn't tell who is was. 

There are occasional callbacks to everyone but Jenny, which I find really odd. Not in these recent years of course, but, still.

• Love 1

I wonder if anyone has posted a link out there to all the photos in the slide show, annotated! I missed so many references. Off to look...

• Love 2
(edited)

It was coincidental that the actress who played Josie, the young girl who named her baby Barbara, is named ... Barbara!

They made such a big deal of how overwhelmed the midwives were going to be with the addition of the new cases from the closed down maternity home -- yet at the end, all of them seemed to have plenty of time to attend Sister MJ's birthday celebration.

Edited by J-Man
  • Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 6:14 PM, bybrandy said:

This season has been such soul sucking sadness.   It was at the end for me of crying, but just too much down.  I know this show prides itself on needing people to take out stock in Kleenex.  But some light to counteract the dark would be something.  

Totally agree. I can handle some sadness, but the unrelenting depression of this season was too much.

• Love 6

I've watched every episode of Call the Midwife and I'm 99% sure that in earlier years when there was a service at Nonnatus (sp?) there were a few more nuns.

• Love 3

This was a decent end to a VERY uneven season. A little sadness, a little joy, the whole circle of life message, etc... Do we know whether the show has been renewed for another season because if not, this was a suitable series finale.

1 hour ago, babs j. said:

I've watched every episode of Call the Midwife and I'm 99% sure that in earlier years when there was a service at Nonnatus (sp?) there were a few more nuns.

That's been a pet peeve of mine for years. We don't know where those other nuns came from, where they live, if they were midwives too, etc. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, marceline said:

Do we know whether the show has been renewed for another season because if not, this was a suitable series finale.

It has.   And I agree, it was a nice final episode after a pretty weird season.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

I wouldn't have known there was a photo of Chummy's wedding if the recap hadn't mentioned it. I couldn't tell who is was. 

There are occasional callbacks to everyone but Jenny, which I find really odd. Not in these recent years of course, but, still.

I recognized Chummy and Peter's wedding photo immediately, but I didn't realize the absence of references to Jenny. Sister Evangelina even got name-dropped in the maternity home when Shelagh passed on her saying about how the another person's presence helps dealing with pain.

Those last ten minutes really got to me.

Reggie's carousel gift was incredibly sweet.

Phyllis is always wonderful and it was nice to see Sgt. Woolf not be too abrasive.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

Phyllis is always wonderful and it was nice to see Sgt. Woolf not be too abrasive.

I really did not expect to ever like Phyllis when she first arrived...and now she's my favorite character.  Linda Bassett is a wonderful actor, says more with her face than in her dialogue.

• Love 23

I agree that is was very unTrixie-like for her to miss the furneral, and if she did (because the actress is off having her own baby!) then she would have called and sent flowers and a card -not a short film clip of her in her bathing suit. I did love all the images in the montage for SMJ, especially those of her as a young woman -were any of those of the actress in real life? Or just someone who looks similar. And it was a way to bring it back to Barbara in the end, as their joy at seeing the past was dampened a bit by seeing Barbara and realizing she is gone. The clips during the credits were nice also.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here about the PBS edits, but did they edit out Tom's homecoming when he finds the cards and overturns the chair? I was waiting for the scene because they showed it last week in the previews and then I didn't see it, did I miss it? Or did they actually preview a scene they cut?

• Love 2
  1 hour ago, marceline said:

Do we know whether the show has been renewed for another season because if not, this was a suitable series finale.

It has.   And I agree, it was a nice final episode after a pretty weird season.

I believe it has, in fact, been renewed through Season 9, which means at least two more seasons are to come.

11 minutes ago, willowk said:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here about the PBS edits, but did they edit out Tom's homecoming when he finds the cards and overturns the chair? I was waiting for the scene because they showed it last week in the previews and then I didn't see it, did I miss it? Or did they actually preview a scene they cut?

Yes, it was edited out.  The recap talks about it.  And it would have been a realistic scene for Tom to live through that stage of grief. I don't care how much faith you have, at some point you are going to get hopping mad about the whole thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Agreed. I thought we could have also done with some flowers with a card signed by Peter and Chummy, Nurse Mount and Delia, and, heck, even the Sisters in South Africa. All the grateful birth mothers could have also gotten together and sponsor something in her honor. Barbara was loved by a large community.

11 hours ago, marceline said:

That's been a pet peeve of mine for years. We don't know where those other nuns came from, where they live, if they were midwives too, etc. 

Mine too. I am embarrassed to confess how much I have obsessed about this.

The writers could have clear this up with a few throwaway lines throughout the years:

"The choir sisters will need to head for St. Hildegarde's before the storm arrives."

"Have you met the new choir novice? Let's pack up a welcome box for her."

"Sister Monica Joan can't stay with the choir sisters while we are gone because their staircase is too windy." 

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 4

My local PBS station minimized the end credits with all the pictures of Barbara, to beg for donations.  It's apparently not enough to cut out several crucial scenes each episode, now we have to have the pledge drive before the show is officially over.  

I wonder if the departed cast members have to give their OK to use their images.  There was the brief shot of Chummy and Peter, but none of the others who have left the show.  

(edited)
On 5/6/2018 at 8:23 PM, seahag50 said:

Well i cried from beginning to end...whew it wore me out.  When i watch this show I imagine my mom sitting next to me watching...wishful thinking shes been gone 32 year...but it comforts me.  

Me too.  I started when Fred was shaving Tom, bawled intermittently throughout the whole episode, and teared up again while reading the recap.  Totally drained now.

Edited by Omeletsmom
Because "uip" is not a word.
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

My local PBS station minimized the end credits with all the pictures of Barbara, to beg for donations.  It's apparently not enough to cut out several crucial scenes each episode, now we have to have the pledge drive before the show is officially over.  

Whaaat?  That is when I'd be phoning them up and giving them " a donation" all right!!!  When I was reading the recap, it seemed that not much had been cut out until I read the Tom scene.  Geeez PBS!!!  Their editing is so bad it got me thinking, I wonder if BBC doesn't let them air the show in entirety so that they can sell more DVD's ????  I just don't get why they have to edit anything out at all.

A lot was squeezed in this episode.  Usually I finds this diminishes the emotional impact.  But I did end up bawling at the end, esp the picture of Sister Evangeline and then the pictures of Barbara.

I thought it was a nice touch that the older residents of Poplar were wincing a bit at the images of the Blitz. After all they lived through it only 20 years earlier and that is how Fred lost his first wife.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, marceline said:

This was a decent end to a VERY uneven season. A little sadness, a little joy, the whole circle of life message, etc... Do we know whether the show has been renewed for another season because if not, this was a suitable series finale.

I can see that different nuns would live there besides midwives. Teachers, other type nurse, etc.  But if other sisters lived at Nonantus house, then you think we would see them at meals or in the tv room.  I guess the other nuns are from a nearby convent . They don't necessarily live at Nonantus house.  I was giggling over the prayers  as dictated by Sister MJ going to the movies to get her news fix.

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I thought it was a nice touch that the older residents of Poplar were wincing a bit at the images of the Blitz. After all they lived through it only 20 years earlier and that is how Fred lost his first wife.

They still felt the pain of what happened during the war.

I was a little annoyed on Sister MJ insisting on everyone getting over grieving after Kennedy was shot.  I know that they all need to move on from their grief, but I felt if it wasn't time for Sister MJ's birthday, she would not have cared as much if people moved on or not.  People grieve in their own way.

I guess Kennedy was beloved in England too and his assasination was a shock.  His father had been ambassador and his sister was married to a Brit before she was killed.  Also it wasn't that long before then that President Kennedy had  been to England.  I know because I watch the Crown!

• Love 6

I really did not expect to ever like Phyllis when she first arrived...and now she's my favorite character.  Linda Bassett is a wonderful actor, says more with her face than in her dialogue.

Phyllis has become the heart of the show, in my opinion.  She's just lovely.  I practically melted down at that little moment when the new mother said she was going to name her daughter Barbara. 

I kind of rolled my eyes at the secret gay dad storyline.  It wrapped up way too easily and nicely.  It practically became a gay 60s version of My Two Dads.  I do appreciate that the show doesn't shy away from those topics, but I think if you are going to do it, try to stay true to the era.     

• Love 8

Yeah, they did a better job of realism with Delia and Patsy in that regard.

Can't believe we have to wait until CHRISTMAS for another ep. Arggh.

I hope next season isn't so glum.

Love Phyllis. She and Trixie are my favs. I was a big Sister Evangelina fan too, and of course, Jenny and Barbara, and it killed me when Chummy left.

Val hasn't been fleshed out enough. She's a cypher. Lucille is still too new.

I'm really irked about the Christopher/Trixie breakup. I'm not a big 'shipper at all, but every now and then a couple sneaks into my heart.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I can see that different nuns would live there besides midwives. Teachers, other type nurse, etc.  But if other sisters lived at Nonantus house, then you think we would see them at meals or in the tv room.  I guess the other nuns are from a nearby convent . They don't necessarily live at Nonantus house.  I was giggling over the prayers  as dictated by Sister MJ going to the movies to get her news fix.

They still felt the pain of what happened during the war.

I was a little annoyed on Sister MJ insisting on everyone getting over grieving after Kennedy was shot.  I know that they all need to move on from their grief, but I felt if it wasn't time for Sister MJ's birthday, she would not have cared as much if people moved on or not.  People grieve in their own way.

I guess Kennedy was beloved in England too and his assasination was a shock.  His father had been ambassador and his sister was married to a Brit before she was killed.  Also it wasn't that long before then that President Kennedy had  been to England.  I know because I watch the Crown!

I was annoyed by this as well. It kind of ruined the birthday party plot for me. Sister Monica Joan often throws these small tantrums, and usually about something *she* wants. It seemed selfish.  Sure this is England and it was the American President, but look how intensely she was interested in the Soviet first female cosmonaut. Her reaction and the subsequent party planning seemed like an awkward plot device to get to the making of the film reel. I cringed when Tom came in at the back and saw the photos of himself and Barbara being projected at this big party. Just days after her funeral seemingly. The thing fell flat for me, although the photos were nice to see.  I could jsut about justify this if it had been the series finale rather than the season finale.

• Love 3

I watched the UK version in January and rewatched it again today. I'm glad that I rewatched the video with subtitles because the London British accent gives me a headache and without subtitles I can rewind the same sentence three times and still don't understand what they are saying. For example, I didn't know that the teen girl's name was Josie, until I rewatched it. When her name was mentioned on screen, it sounded like Dorothy instead of Josie.

I have a question...where is baby Teddy? Remember that he was born in the last season's finale. Angela's birthday with all the cute kids was great to see amidst the sadness in the episode, but it is so strange that baby Teddy's birthday doesn't even get a mention. Also, with both parents and older brother looking after the party, who is looking after him? Babies need round the clock care, we can only assume that he's taking a nap or at daycare.

Also an Easter Egg that I picked up was the call to Nonnatus House by Mr.Chen which Sister Julienne answered and subsequently attended to. That family; if they are talking about the same Chen family , was seen in season 6. Neither the birth nor the former guest stars appeared in this episode, they just got a shout out.

If anyone recalls from last season, the Chen family was the one who ran a laundry business, and the business that the maternity home relies on to wash its sheets etc. That was the first Chinese family featured on Call the Midwife. That family was the one where the Liverpool with a scouse accent mom was half Chinese and whose mother in law made her sit the month. The mother in law cranked the furnace up in the middle of the summer and refused to open the windows, as per monthly confinement tradition. As a result, the mother in law unknowingly contributed to carbon monoxide poisoning that almost took the baby's life.

When their family name was mentioned again in this episode, we call only assume that their daughter Lin ( that was their daughter's name) is going to be a big sister. On the show, 99% of the guest stars for each episode are forgotten about when the episode ended. The only family that we did get two decent follow up episodes about was baby Susan's family from seasons 5 and 6. Well at least a shout out means that they haven't been forgotten.

Also, hearing that family's name is also bittersweet as Barbara was the midwife who delivered baby Lin last season . Now they supposedly have a new addition, but their midwife from a year ago had passed away.

Similarly, the mention of Reggie's mom Ivy and the visits to her graveside also caused me great sadness. Again recalling past episodes, Ivy collapsed from a heart attack at church last season and Barbara was the one who immediately went to her aid. Unfortunately there was nothing that Barbara could have done for Ivy as the attack came on too suddenly. Barbara felt for a pulse, found none, and pronounced Ivy dead with a grim look on her face. Now these two are reunited under the ground and buried in the same place, it's heartbreaking.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

"The Crown" sometimes takes liberty with timelines.  The Kennedys visited Buckingham Palace in June of 1961; the assassination was in November, 1963.

Hubby and I met for the first time the weekend of the assassination.  When they mentioned it on "CtM," I said to him, "Well NOW we have a definite understanding of the history of the time the show is representing.  It's OUR history of time!"

• Love 5
On 3/18/2018 at 5:46 AM, purist said:

Me too. That actor is David Calder, and he is one of those British actors who has been around forever and is always, always good. Same with David Bamber, who played his partner (Olive's dad). It was a treat seeing the two of them in such wonderful roles.

ETA: Of course, David Bamber played the odious Mr Collins in the BBC's 1995 Pride and Prejudice series. So good!

That's where I know him from! 

Very touching storyline, especially the dementia part. My mom has that and it broke my heart. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, helenA said:

Also an Easter Egg that I picked up was the call to Nonnatus House by Mr.Chen which Sister Julienne answered and subsequently attended to. That family; if they are talking about the same Chen family , was seen in season 6. Neither the birth nor the former guest stars appeared in this episode, they just got a shout out.

Similarly, the mention of Reggie's mom Ivy and the visits to her graveside also caused me great sadness. Again recalling past episodes, Ivy collapsed from a heart attack at church last season and Barbara was the one who immediately went to her aid. Unfortunately there was nothing that Barbara could have done for Ivy as the attack came on too suddenly. Barbara felt for a pulse, found none, and pronounced Ivy dead with a grim look on her face. Now these two are reunited under the ground and buried in the same place, it's heartbreaking.

The Chens! I remember them! It was also nice of them to bring up Ivy. I remember her storyline too. OH gosh, I'm going to start to cry again! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1

OMG, the crying, the crying.  Mine, that is.  I was weepy from the get-go, but really lost it when Reggie gave Tom the carousel, and when the teenaged mother said that the name 'Barbara' had just come to her.  And the photos at the end?  BAWLLLLLLLL.

• Love 4