Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E03: Helter Shelter

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Another episode without the Champs.  Boo!  

I am still snickering that the young group keeps trying to make moves by sending people in to send them home....this time Cory and Jenna and once again they both come back.  BA HA HA!  And now that is two more people safe til the merge (oh wait...this isn't Survivor lol).   Oops!  Looks like their strategy could use some work!  

As for Theo refusing to jump.  This surprises me none.  And I'm sure he'll find a way to blame someone else for his own personal failing.  

I still cannot wait until the champs all show up and this young egomaniacs realize what's up!!!  

• Love 3

Waaaaaaah, something got screwed up and it looks like Time Warner or MTV might have transmitted the wrong episode, or....? My DVR had a one-hour block recorded from 9:00-10:00, labeled "The Challenge: Invasion of the Champions: Helter Shelter" and a 30-min block from 10:00-10:30 labeled "Hall Of Fame: Johnny Bananas". BOTH of these recordings are actually of the Johnny program, and the "one hour" block bumps me out to the menu right around the 30 min mark, even though it is showing me another half hour left on the recording. So it appears that they broadcast Johnny at both 9:00 and 10:00...? I'm in NYC and interested whether anyone else had this issue.

Man, I had a stupid day and I was looking forward to watching this mindless crapfest tonight. Grumble grumble.

I live in New York too, AllisonWonderland, and I didn't have that problem. I'm sorry that you did though.

I think it was clear that Corey and Jenna would be coming back, but had it not been for those two seconds, Jenna would've been eliminated by Anika. That definitely would've shook things up in the house.

I laugh every time TJ gets pissed at someone for giving up. It's very easy for him to call someone a quitter when he doesn't have to actually do any of the challenges.

I can't wait for next week for the champs to come in, even if that means seeing Johnny again. I think the show will get better and will be more entertaining.

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 1

Alright, alright.  This episode makes me want to give this season a chance.  I LOL'd multiple times.  The Challenge has jokes this year! 

Kailah - "I graduated college and I'm dumb as shit"
Jenna - "yeah..., I mean not yeah, but yeah"
Me - *dead*

Then, Theo's wet cat looking, slumped shoulder, slow motion descent from the cliff had me howling!  I love TJ's reaction to quitters.  His Brittany Spears reference was hilarious. Hahahaha

Edited by AngryCarrot86
  • Love 10

The way TJ exclaims "goddamnit!!" at someone is one this show's small joys. He did the same thing to CT several seasons back when he flubbed some sports trivia question. His delivery is flawless and hilarious. I hope they never stop disappointing him with their stupidity.

The editors really shined during the elimination. I found myself caring much less about the ball-carrying-status (because that was really dumb anyway) and move about the gorgeous shots of them swinging through the air. Also, I was getting annoyed for a split second about the Britney references - I could be wrong, but I don't think coming in on a wire has ever been much of an iconic Britney thing, and it certainly wasn't a part of the "I'm a Slave 4 U" VMA performance with the snake - but then they segued into a Britney song while excruciatingly slowly lowering his limp, defeated frame to the ground and I straight-up cackled.

• Love 4

Damn Theo, way to punk out hard there. He did all that work and talked all that game to not even try? Jeez. 

I found myself rooting for Cory and Jenna only because I "know" them and the other two were unknowns. Plus Anika saying she wanted to be the millennial Oprah bugged. Oprah didn't get where she got by going on stupid reality shows.

I like that so far the group's strategy of throwing in people they want gone is backfiring so badly. It makes me laugh. Stop putting Jenna in eliminations. She's the new Katie. She kills at this stuff. 

• Love 5

The champions start in the next episode, right? Because I could care less about these people. 

Also I'm wanting MTV too now make a special about the champs and their adorable kids, because CT and Darrell make cute children who are adorable.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 5

I actually like Theo and Anika a lot. They were some of the more tolerable people on the most recent RW season, but man Theo really punked out there. I mean, what the heck happened there? Either way, I think he could be a serious contender if he quits acting like that. Hopefully he redeems himself in the future.

Anika isn't the most entertaining, but I like her and hope to see her again. But yeah, I also LOLed at the Oprah for Millennials.

And agreed that this exchange between Jenna and Kailah was great:

Kailah: I graduated college and I'm dumb as shit

Jenna: Yeah, I mean not yeah, but you know

Good stuff.

Lastly, I still hate Nelson and can now add Hunter to this list. They just bug. Nelson doesn't talk like a normal human being. He's always making these weird grand proclamations about the challenge and the legends and all this shit. Like, what? You aren't even from RW/RR and have only been on one challenge as a replacement before this.

Edited by Craphole Island
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Steph619 said:

I live in New York too, AllisonWonderland, and I didn't have that problem. I'm sorry that you did though.

I think it was clear that Corey and Jenna would be coming back, but had it not been for those two seconds, Jenna would've been eliminated by Anika. That definitely would've shook things up in the house.

I laugh every time TJ gets pissed at someone for giving up. It's very easy for him to call someone a quitter when he doesn't have to actually do any of the challenges.

I can't wait for next week for the champs to come in, even if that means seeing Johnny again. I think the show will get better and will be more entertaining.

TJ risked his life every day doing his former occupation. He nearly died doing something just as dangerous as the stuff they do. He's not just some mtv personality. He's the last person I mind calling someone out.

And Theo can kick rocks. There are heights challenges every damn season. Extreme ones. Don't come on the show if that's an issue for you. Just wasting everyone's time. Especially after all that shit he was popping.

• Love 16

I mean, I know that these kids don't know the vets are coming, but I knew there was zero chance that production was letting Jenna go home before Zach gets there.

Edited by mspaul
  • Love 11
53 minutes ago, mspaul said:

I mean, I know that these kids don't know the vets are coming, but I knew there was zero chance that production was letting Jenna go home before Zach gets there.

I thought the same thing.  (Plus, the previews show Jenna giving a look when the vets/Zach first appear, so there was no suspense at last night's elimination.)  

• Love 2

I love the title of the episode! 

So glad that Jenna and Corey won! The other group of people are just sad and angry.  Plus, we don't need a Millennial Oprah.  One Oprah is plenty.  

Yeah, bring in the damn champs already! I hate how they make us wait, and wait, and wait.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

TJ risked his life every day doing his former occupation. He nearly died doing something just as dangerous as the stuff they do. He's not just some mtv personality. He's the last person I mind calling someone out.

And Theo can kick rocks. There are heights challenges every damn season. Extreme ones. Don't come on the show if that's an issue for you. Just wasting everyone's time. Especially after all that shit he was popping.

Your post is spot on! TJ is like 99% why I watch the show. Lately they've been skipping the trivia games and depriving us of TJ's best quips which kills me. 

I'm good with Theo and Annika never coming back. I can't believe I'm saying this but the AYTO kids might be better contenders. I finally tuned in this season and it turns out they actually compete every week, nothing like the challenges but the RW kids don't even have jobs anymore. WTF? 

I'm good with the results. Cory doesn't offend me, Jenna is just dim, amid I think Bad Blood was the worst season in BMP history. Theo would have been better off having drugs under his bed and subsequently kicked off. He went out like a punk. Kassius will probably get two invites to spite his cousin. Anika? Whatever.

Are Hunter and Smashley a couple? They seem cute, I guess. Of course Shane had to quip about being on the bottom of the boat. Man, he is gonna flip when he sees Darrell. Didn't Pootie smack him on Campus Crawl? Hard to believe that was almost fifteen years ago.

Christopher is still cute. Really hoping Johnny doesn't try to make himself an honorary uncle to him.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, rho said:

Your post is spot on! TJ is like 99% why I watch the show. Lately they've been skipping the trivia games and depriving us of TJ's best quips which kills me. 

I'm good with Theo and Annika never coming back. I can't believe I'm saying this but the AYTO kids might be better contenders. I finally tuned in this season and it turns out they actually compete every week, nothing like the challenges but the RW kids don't even have jobs anymore. WTF? 

Yeah I aways found it funny that some people used to crap on the ayto kids because they didn't earn their spots or whatever but the real world people don't do anything to earn spots either. Also people don't seem to watch that show out of some sort of judgement against it but most people seem not follow real world proper anymore anyway and are you the one isn't that bad. It's one of the best comedies at times out there. The people can also drum up drama like crazy so I never understood the issues.

Anika was just as bland as the season she just did. Don't know why she was invited at all.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm good with the results. Cory doesn't offend me, Jenna is just dim, amid I think Bad Blood was the worst season in BMP history. Theo would have been better off having drugs under his bed and subsequently kicked off. He went out like a punk. Kassius will probably get two invites to spite his cousin. Anika? Whatever.

Are Hunter and Smashley a couple? They seem cute, I guess. Of course Shane had to quip about being on the bottom of the boat. Man, he is gonna flip when he sees Darrell. Didn't Pootie smack him on Campus Crawl? Hard to believe that was almost fifteen years ago.

Christopher is still cute. Really hoping Johnny doesn't try to make himself an honorary uncle to him.

Haven't seen the episode yet, but wasn't Shane the one who smacked Darrell?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Theo has been all talk since his RW season (and I only saw 4 episodes, including the one where he tried to fight his cousin, and even I knew he was full of shit).  What a punk to not even jump.  But man was his disgraceful lowering down the mountain to that new Britney song greatness!  I needed that laugh.

I'm also really tired of rookies trying to "prove themselves" by going into an elimination, so I'm glad that both Theo and Anika went home.  The people who are Champions do their best to avoid eliminations at all costs by 1)winning and staying safe, 2)not getting voted in (through politicking or "polidicking" [tm Ashley, Lol!], users choice), and 3)not nominating themselves to go in!  So stupid.

I don't get why everyone hates that one girl (she won the elimination last episode).  Is this all really because she went swimming in her thong?  There has to be something else.

And what's Hunter's (?, the one who was Ashley's partner) gripe with Cory?  He's been surprisingly not as assholish these past few episodes as he normally is.

(And that's not just because I found these pictures of Cory:

cwhart3.jpgcw22.jpg

Still trying to remember I can't stand him either.)

Also, Shane better get through.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Pepper said:

Where the heck is the champ Ashley from? I have no memory of her at all. 

I didn't recognize her either.

• Love 3

I didn't recognize her either.

Me either, and I've watched every season.  She has to be a one & doner, but I don't even remember her RW season either.  If anyone does remember her, does she look dramatically different?

Ok, I googled her.  RW season:  San Diego (not the original one)  She won $62,500 on Battle of the Seasons.  Still don't remember her.  Ah shit, now I do.  She was Zach's girlfriend in San Diego!

Edited by snarts
I remembered!
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sgt Pepper said:

She was the first one to make the mistake of dating Zak on their RW season. And then, by some fluke, she coasted her way to a win on Battle of the Seasons. Haven't seen her since.

I wonder if she's actually been putting in anywhere near the effort as the rest of the champs. There's a big difference between cross fit every day and prepping for the challenge. It's more than just being strong or running fast. So many of these beefcakes flop when it comes to endurance or heights. Also makes me wonder why the rest of them (side eyeing Marie right now) aren't working out like it's their job on the off season. 

Edited by rho
  • Love 4

Ashley was the one not abused by Frank and Zach. Probably why Sam never came back. Even if BMP put it in writing that those two assholes wouldn't be on the show at the same time as her, would you blame her for not believing?

It would've been funny if the kids had their three-hour trek, listened to Teege, then saw an uncut video of him doing that and completing the challenge. I mean, Theo is still a punk either way, but I'd find that amusing. I'm thankful he got started on Gauntlet 2. Goodness knows what she would've thought of Melissa. At least she did the missions, even with the complaining.

I think I brought up the idea in the "Fix The Show" thread, but I'll share it here as well: each player should put up a little money. That wouldn't be added to the big prize. I think of it as a security deposit. You win, you get the money back. Lose, you get the money back. Get  injured, get the money back. Get kicked off or fail to appease Teegamanjaro? You don't get the money back. BTW, didn't he date Casey at one time? And she was 85 percent quit.

Thanks for the shots of Darrell's kids and Christopher! Sure, I get a sinking feeling that Johnny will win and deprive Cara Maria of money for the gall of her outlasting him on Bloodlines, but at least we can see some people growing up nicely. I guess BMP didn't want to show Camila in the hospital, wrapped up in the straitjacket.

59 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Haven't seen the episode yet, but wasn't Shane the one who smacked Darrell?

You may be right. It was almost fifteen years ago, and I refuse to look up Wikipedia.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, snarts said:

Me either, and I've watched every season.  She has to be a one & doner, but I don't even remember her RW season either.  If anyone does remember her, does she look dramatically different?

Ok, I googled her.  RW season:  San Diego (not the original one)  She won $62,500 on Battle of the Seasons.  Still don't remember her.  Ah shit, now I do.  She was Zach's girlfriend in San Diego!

I don't think I've seen Battle of the Seasons, and I definitely didn't watch the 2nd RW San Diego.  She might as well be one of the new kids for me. 

These newbies are so stupid. They all showed their hand in the first nomination by clearly taking sides and causing drama. Corey was the only one that smartly sat on the fence and didn't burn bridges on either side. Nelson spearheaded the campaign by convincing his crew of a Tony alliance...and now all of Tony's 'alliance' is safe and has made it to the Oasis, haha. 

I can't wait for the vets to come in and teach these idiots some lessons because none of them have shown they have any real strategic game aside from Corey. 

I'm surprised they got Ashley for this season - didn't she only do one Challenge and she won because Frank strategically dragged his alliance to the end, making sure they didn't crack. Or maybe I'm remembering the season wrong but I seem to remember her winning in a season where it was a group win. Another interesting fact other than her being the first idiot to fall for Zack...she also dated Bruno. I'm assuming this was before he was homeless because Ashley doesn't look like she messes with homeless guys, no matter how good looking they are, lol. 

• Love 1

It was nice to see that Tony continued his revenge on Silvia...by not voting for her like he vowed he would every week.  

I cannot stand Nicole and don't understand why she was attached to Cory after the elimination like it was her job.

That dipshit who partnered with Ashley?  Is he stupid?  He calls out Cory for some unknown reason after the challenge then gets offended when Cory rightfully calls him out.  Don't be a sore winner, douchecanoe. 

Also, if that turned into a fight, I would back Cory all day.

• Love 4

I feel like we missed something between Hunter and Cory. Or maybe Hunter is just a shit-stirring moron.

I'm finding Shane much more likeable than I recall him being on his previous challenges. Maybe time has been good to him?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, snarts said:

OK.  Thanks! I somehow didn't watch that season! I thought I saw them all except for Cancun and the recent one.  Guess not. 

I seriously don't remember that there was a fourth person on their team when Ashley competed.  I remember Frank, Zach and Sam and I defy you to prove that Ashley was there and provided a memorable contribution.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Wait, I'm confused. Why is Jenna on the newbie side? Didn't she actually win a Challenge one year?

She's made it to the finals, I think 3 or 4 times, but she's never won.  So technically not a Champion.

• Love 1

Damn Theo, all bark and no bite. He said "until you actually get up there and do it, don't say shit to me" or something to that effect. Well, Theo, three other people did it and didn't seem to have any problems. Anika did it with a smile on her face.

I still like Jenna. It was refreshing to see a girl competing who is not afraid of heights. Props to her for not even screaming as she went down, I know I would have LOL.

When I first heard about this season I was a little annoyed because I was hoping for some new rookies to compete without any champs taking over like they always do. But I hate almost all of the rookies so now I can't wait for the champs to get there.

14 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I feel like we missed something between Hunter and Cory. Or maybe Hunter is just a shit-stirring moron.

I'm finding Shane much more likeable than I recall him being on his previous challenges. Maybe time has been good to him?

Yeah, I felt like Hunter needed to chill. He seemed ok in the first episode but dude, you just won your first challenge, you haven't proved shit yet. Calm down.

I'm also liking Shane and I hope he makes it to the house.

• Love 2
  16 hours ago, snarts said:

OK.  Thanks! I somehow didn't watch that season! I thought I saw them all except for Cancun and the recent one.  Guess not. 

Yea she was a total non-entity on her season of Real World, other than her and Zach having a thing. She barely spoke, was uninvolved with most storylines, and was called out by the rest of the cast at the reunion for basically not getting to know or speak to anyone but Zach. Then on her one Challenge, it was a group win where, once again, she performed decently but was a non-entity. I'm thinking the only reason she is back is because they reached out to Evelyn, Rachel, and Emily and were told no. And we know Paula is done too.

• Love 6

To answer Sars' recap question in "Crimes against fashion," I think the thing non-winner-Ashley is wearing around her neck is a sand dollar with somewhat irregularly worn edges.  I'm a lifelong beachcomber so I notice things like that.  The cord is going through the built-in slit.  Slot.  Hole.  I normally could type about sand dollar physiology without feeling weird but not in the context of this show.  

Now that I have Googled "Thailand Sand Dollars" I see most of them look like regular ol' sand dollars but there are some with really weird fringed looking edges!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

I liked the video of TJ seeing the elimination and deciding he had to do it and did a handstand and pushed off while in the handstand.  No one can say TJ isnt willing to do what the cast does.

Where's this video?

Yes, but was he holding onto coconuts? Fail.

As much as I can't stand Teege, I wouldn't fault him for calling out Theo all day/every day, inhibiting his social life even if the kid packs eighteen inches of pipe. Tyara's at home, all, "I cannot believe I let that daft wanker touch me! WANKER!!!"

• Love 2