Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: One Less Fish in the Sea

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kelley fumes when he discovers how Sierra treated a deck-team member. Meanwhile, Emily delights in a night out with Ben, and drama heats up between Kate and the exterior crew. Also, Kyle delivers the charm when he goes out on a date with Sierra.

I like Ben and Emily together. I think they make a great couple together.

How did Sierra not know that Kyle was really into her, and why would she just be on her phone the whole time. Kind of a shitty move IMO

Imaturity is showing big time. Either that or there are ppl that just shouldn't drink a lot. Sorry Trevor.

That slide looked like scary fun

I think the season is just beginning

• Love 6

Anyone get a Theresa Russell Black Widow vibe from Kate? Pushing Emily & Ben together so Ben will use her, lose her then go back to Kate? Just me?

Sierra with the end-all end-all. Oy. Maybe Teresa will invite her to celebrate Ramadandan.

Kelley, take your misplaced anger and extraneous "e" and go home. 

Next week is rocket penis week! And Kyle is gay? Ben is Glory? What is happening?

• Love 5

At least from what's presented on the show, Kelly is coming off as defensive and like he has a very fragile ego, which basically lines up with his previous season's edit, too. Kyle's grown, and proven himself as a very outspoken and straight-forward guy more than capable of handling his own Sierra issues. His anger at Sierra was misplaced and inappropriate, and I'm not digging the aggression boiling under his surface towards women. 

I can see where things are breaking down between Lee and Kelly. Kelly hasn't proven that he knows how to take the initiative and set the daily work routine for his subordinates while also figuring out what the guests want (by asking them, not assuming what they might like), so Lee has to micromanage and set out each task for him, and Kelly's morale and motivation dips accordingly.  I can sympathize with being in such a spiral, I've been there too on different jobs where you figured out too late how your boss will measure a job well done and before you know it he/she has taken a permanent residence on your ass. But I just get the vibe that he's stubborn, and sensitive, and therefore hard to correct. 

Kate, while her delivery is off and she can be quite the hypocrite, was in the right. When a safety hazard is literally paraded under the captain's nose by Nico, she has to try and do a proper incident report. She wasn't in the wrong there at all; Kelly looked bad because he was being careless.

Kyle I'm still on the fence about. One the one hand, I love how unashamed he is about his background. On the other, I bet he's the guy whose every ex girlfriend is supposedly crazy, a bitch, or a cheater, or all of the above.

I'm hoping there's more fireworks headed our way; the teaser for the rest of the season looked good!

• Love 11

Sierra was rude as hell on that fishing trip. I get she's not into him, and I think she did say something to him about not wanting it to be a "date" last week? (Or am I imagining that? Maybe she only said it in a talking head.) Regardless, sitting there on her phone, looking unamused, and making comments about how she'd rather just be back in the hot tub was pretty shitty. He didn't seem like he was being overbearing at all...he was sitting across the boat from her trying to make basic conversation, and she was acting like he was an annoying bug. 

Kelley is just awful. He was acting like a ridiculous child for basically all of tonight's episode. I don't know how Emily has been so gracious with that lunk following her around. 

Ben and Emily are cute together.

• Love 15

Kelley is riding my last nerve...so, nothing new there.  I loved that Kyle told him he could fight his own battles and then proceeded to shoot straight with Sierra about how he felt, like an adult.  Ben and "Ems" are a good match.  I hope we don't have to watch Kelley mope the rest of the season.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

Anyone get a Theresa Russell Black Widow vibe from Kate? Pushing Emily & Ben together so Ben will use her, lose her then go back to Kate? Just me?

Sierra with the end-all end-all. Oy. Maybe Teresa will invite her to celebrate Ramadandan.

Next week is rocket penis week! And Kyle is gay? Ben is Glory? What is happening?

So Sierra cares about what's in someone's ears, but not what's between their head and knees. She is not a bright one. I think Kyle has been pretty explicit and clear about his interest and intentions, but I guess it's possible that Sierra didn't understand a single word he said. There's no way you can tell if she understood what you said to her because she gives you that same genial, but befuddled smile no matter what you say to her. It also seemed like everyone except for Kate was surprised to learn that Sierra had a guy back home. But Sierra is full of bull when she says she didn't know it was a date. Sierra was super quick to invite Emily and Kelley along because it was a date and it felt awkward. Kate even talked to Sierra and asked her to give Kyle a chance. Then her behavior on the date was juvenile and abysmal. And Kyle showed that he is far more mature than either Kelley and Sierra by plainly laying out how he hurt he was.

Ben and Emily was whatever. They actually sat down, talked, and tried to get to know each other. I think that Emily and Nico were in the process of doing the same when Kelley decided to sabotage Nico by revealing that Nico "had someone back home" and Nico decided to torpedo himself with his drunken attempts to kiss people.

Kelley was being juvenile, petulant, and butt hurt. I'm sorry that your go to move of having a big dick, walking around shirtless to show off your nice body, and flopping on top of the object of your affection didn't work. It's amazing that the simple strategy of talking to a person and asking them out on a date managed to work for both Ben and Kyle (even though Kyle ended up with a rude asshole. I wonder how many times Kelley had to flop on top of his girlfriend without his shirt on before his current girlfriend figured out that he was interested. Kelley doesn't need to project his anger on to Sierra.

I'm kinda surprised to learn that Kyle is bi and is off and on dating a transwoman. In hindsight, it makes sense because Kyle has demonstrated that he doesn't really have hang ups about things that others might perceive as negative and he seems really open to new and different experiences. 

• Love 9

I do like Ben with Emily and it was nice to see this side of him because many times I don't like him at all.

I missed a big chunk of the episode so I didn't see what the Sierra/Kyle thing was about.  Anyone catch the clip of the next episode on WWHL regarding Kyle?  It's pretty unexpected.  At least for me.

I thought Kate handled things that happened after the guests left very well.  Sorry, she didn't throw anyone under the bus.  Hey, if you want to drink and party you're still responsible for your actions, especially if you get caught by the captain.  How was Kate supposed to 'save' you by not looking like a complete idiot?  She knows Capt. Lee is not stupid.

• Love 5

I think it's cute that Ben calls her Ems. I don't know if I believe the romance but they're adorable and I like that they got away from the rest of the crew for a bit.

I'm promoting Sierra to senior dickwad. She knew exactly what she was getting into with Kyle. Her behavior was petty and immature. If you don't want to go on a date, just say so. And how she got cell service on a dinghy in the middle of the Caribbean is beyond me.

Kelley continues to grate. He's mad at Emily and Ben for going on a date together. And he's mad at Sierra for going on the same pity date he wanted Emily to go on with him. There's no winning with him. 

But what really blows my mind is how Kate is constantly in trouble with the law due to drinking, as opposed to everyone else in the case. She always seems so composed when everyone goes out drinking. She has maybe one drink and spends most of the time just chewing on ice. Maybe it's just because she's a chief stew and has to be on her game to oversee her department but I'm shocked she can't handle her liquor on land. On the flip side, Kelley is outdrinking all of his underlings and completely oblivious to the happenings on the boat. I can't wait for him to get demoted and/or his head ripped off by Lee. 

• Love 6

The most shocking thing for me this episode is finding out that Ben uses Aunt Jemima pancake syrup!  What kind of chef doesn't serve real maple syrup?  I may be hypersensitive because I live in maple-syrup country, but still . . .   Maybe the Brits just don't know any better.  ;o)

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

The most shocking thing for me this episode is finding out that Ben uses Aunt Jemima pancake syrup!  What kind of chef doesn't serve real maple syrup?  I may be hypersensitive because I live in maple-syrup country, but still . . .   Maybe the Brits just don't know any better.  ;o)

^^ Hilarious! I came here to note the exact same thing!! For all his whinging about his high food standards, he drizzles his French toast with... Good old Aunt Jemima.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

That jumped out at me, too!  I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Ben once worked or lived in Massachusetts, so he should know better!  

• Love 2

Damn, are they on the SS Valor or the Hot Mess Express? Because people were getting sloppy! 

Burning toasters, pizza in the hallway, shouting matches. Good grief. Maybe these people don't need any down time. 

Actually the person who irritated me the most was Sierra. She was super frosty to Kyle on their date. I stand by what I said last episode - I think Sierra was very receptive to Kyle's interest and flirting until she found out about the kid. There was a marked change after that. And I'm not judging her for that. Kids can be a deal breaker for some people (although, I don't think Kyle is looking to propose, just have a little fun) and there's no shame in that. But instead of just sitting him down and telling him that, she does that thing where you act like an ass and hope the other person loses interest. She was playing on her phone half the the time, and acting like a bored little brat the rest of the time. I thought her behavior was just awful. 

So, while I do agree that Kelley was partially taking his jealousy over Em/Ben out on Sierra, and it was really none of his business, I do think he was right about how she treated Kyle. Kyle's whole thing has always been honesty. He's not like Kelley, with all the games and "swagger". Notice how Emily frankly said, "Well, Ben ASKED me" - in regards to going on a date with him. Kelley never asked. He just assumed it would happen. There's something to be said for being a bit old fashioned and upfront. That's how Kyle has been with Sierra from day one, and I think he deserve the same respect from her. Honesty. 

Anyhow, looking forward to the next charter guests, so the crew is once again too busy for all these shennanigans. I find it more entertaining when there's drama with the guests and not within the ranks. The guests they had this week were pretty low key and easy to please, though. I'm not sure I liked the idea of golfing into the ocean, however. I wonder if any little sea creatures got his in the head with one of those balls? What if a fish tries to eat one? Yuck. 

• Love 14
10 hours ago, chick binewski said:

HA! So petty, but the extra "e" bothers me as well. 

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It also seemed like everyone except for Kate was surprised to learn that Sierra had a guy back home.

The way Sierra said it, it wasn't an actual relationship, but a guy who had expressed an interest. But yea, it's never been mentioned before. My thoughts are - she was keeping this guy at arm's length, because she wanted to see how things would go on charter. I DO think she was interested in Kyle at first. Once she found out about his kid, she soured. So I think she then started being A LOT more receptive to this guy back at home's texts, so then she could be all, "Yea, I kind of have someone". This girl is gamey as hell. 

6 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

The most shocking thing for me this episode is finding out that Ben uses Aunt Jemima pancake syrup!  What kind of chef doesn't serve real maple syrup?  I may be hypersensitive because I live in maple-syrup country, but still

YES! That was such a WTF moment for me. And I'm not a big foodie or anything. I currently have store brand Aunt Jemima in my pantry, haha. But I thought on a fancy yacht he'd have something nicer, in a glass jar. I wonder if they have limited options for what they can get while on charter. 

• Love 9

But what really blows my mind is how Kate is constantly in trouble with the law due to drinking, as opposed to everyone else in the case. She always seems so composed when everyone goes out drinking.

Maybe Kate is an alcoholic who can function well in a controlled environment, especially for a limited time period such as six weeks. We've seen her being nasty and immature in earlier seasons of the show; she found the resolve to rehabilitate her chief stew image for TV and also not drink to excess on camera. Maybe she goes to pieces, at home, without the relative isolation and structure of working hard on a vessel at sea.

Of course since these guests were civilized we saw less of them than the obnoxious guests.

I think Ben and Emily are for the camera. I didn't see any chemistry between them. But they enjoyed their dinner away from crew madness and had some interesting conversation.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, rho said:

But what really blows my mind is how Kate is constantly in trouble with the law due to drinking, as opposed to everyone else in the case. She always seems so composed when everyone goes out drinking. She has maybe one drink and spends most of the time just chewing on ice. Maybe it's just because she's a chief stew and has to be on her game to oversee her department but I'm shocked she can't handle her liquor on land. On the flip side, Kelley is outdrinking all of his underlings and completely oblivious to the happenings on the boat. I can't wait for him to get demoted and/or his head ripped off by Lee. 

You could be close to the truth there, RHO!! And I missed the tea on Kyle!! Where do I go to catch up. Anyone? Bueller?

Last week I said I suspected he was a psycho. That weird story he gave Ben and Kate tonight about being homeless on the streets of London because his girlfriend expected him to set her up and then ran off with a South African doctor..??? My first thought was lucky that Emile isn't on the deck crew this season. My second thought was wait, what? No. That didn't ring true. But bless him for being upfront with that mop brain Sierra. He was full on, definitely, but that's maybe just his style. She was unforgivably shady and when Kelley confronted her about her behavior (not Kelley's business, but Kelley is deeply immature and was projecting as we all clearly understood), she had what my mother describes as 'the maniacal grin' all over her dial. My mother was a nurse and apparently some insane people have this, it's a 'thing'. Because her facial expression miscued what she was actually expecting Kelley to read, which was she still wanted to clear the issue up and have her say. Presumably that would have been 'mind your own business'. I don't find her attractive at all, she's pinheaded and vacant brained and proved in this episode that she also has NO personality. I felt for Kyle, that charter wouldn't have come cheap. He was a bit intense, but he's been openly intense with Sierra since he put his toe on the boat. She agreed to the date. She went on the date. All she had to do at that point was be polite, participate and be assertive. I think Kyle would have respected that. I thought he handled the situation really well and openly, leaving no room for simmering resentment which is what Kelley would have done. 

I was rooting for Kelley a bit as bosun, probably because he was a familiar face from last season. But he's proved this episode that he is just not bosun material. All that partying with Kyle and a drunk Lauren on this megamillion dollar yacht. He was schooled by Cpt Lee last episode for the sushi and now there is pizza all over the interior. And it was Kelley who turned his attention to the last standing available female, Lauren, and who left the toaster sandwich maker on as soon as her drunk ass got distracted by the next sparkly object in her brain. Kelley just can't think with his big head when he thinks he's got an opening for the little one. It's really pathetic, and really immature and I cannot believe he has been through the discipline of military service. Kelley makes one bad decision after another. The reject party in the guest quarters, jumping all over the couches (LOTS of physicality between Kyle and Kelley, which I'm not looking at in a different light...) and third wheel, Lauren. The captain IS on the boat. What is WRONG with you, Kelley? Oh, and when he went all down in the mouth about Ben not telling him about the date with Emily...I swear, if he'd mentioned 'bro code', I would have hurled chunks. 

I predicted that Ben was playing the long game with Emily from the beginning, so that was all a snooze. I don't get her allure. But I understand why Ben does. 

Last episode, with WAY too much of the hulking face sucking Ro, and all the attention on the dates between crew members really had me worrying that the producers were messing with the format. Looks like we're back to familiar territory now. Kate is going to go rogue on Sierra. That 'if you can't go to your happy clappy place (or whatever), you can go clean toilets' was vintage Kate. And Cpt Lee is obviously either demoting Kelley or giving him a ticket. Kelley has reached that age where he is going to need to figure out that women aren't just going to drop their panties because he flexes. He has no game. Nico showed him up dressed as Elvis while Kelley shuffled around like a gorilla, giving nothing. Because there wasn't anybody there he could potentially sleep with. And the way he was trying to stare into Emily's eyes while she was fixing his tie for him? Urgh.

And Ben trying to get some from Emily at the end of the date? When he started all the French speaking I just cringed. This is what he was doing with poor besotted Hannah on BDMed. Hannah even appeared in a montage of Ben conquests, although he managed to stay out of her needy drawers and went for the weird looking under stew instead. Ben does have good desperation radar and knows when to flee, Hannah was an embarrassment to Australians. I was hoping that Lauren would redeem us, but after tonight she is showing signs of that going south. Hopefully she was just totally wasted, because her wish for a toasted cheese sandwich is possibly the last straw for Cpt Lee and Kelley.

Charter guest soulmate Dean is back next week! Yay! Maybe this is where we learn that Kyle is gender fluid. I really hope that Kyle didn't leave home at 15 years and 8 months because of some kind of horrific abuse. He is definitely unhinged, but obviously trying to do the right thing in his own way. What a crew we have. I wish Cpt Lee's 2nd in command was featured more. It'd be cool to see a mature man apart from Cpt Lee on this show, and when they were returning to the boat together, he looked pretty fit. 

In the montage for the rest of the season, there were too many stills of Kate looking more and more haggard. That is some express ageing going on and I really seriously suspect that it has a chemical basis. 

• Love 7

Also, in regard to Kate the self declared 'Paris Hilton of my hometown': alcohol has calorie. Other things don't have calories. And she's been in trouble with the law over 'other things'. Mixing alcohol and some pharmaceuticals gets dangerous fast. I think our Kate is finding that out.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice that the guest had a child with them?  When Kelley went below to ask about golfing the guest (can't remember his name) was walking down the corridor holding a child's hand, then the kid is hiding in the background.  I guess small children don't make for entertaining TV?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Blah said:

Did anyone else notice that the guest had a child with them?  When Kelley went below to ask about golfing the guest (can't remember his name) was walking down the corridor holding a child's hand, then the kid is hiding in the background.  I guess small children don't make for entertaining TV?

It was really hard to tell but I thought that was someone crouching, looking in a low cabinet. They did seem to be hiding in the next little scene, but again, to me it looked like a crouching adult.

I was bothered by the idea of littering the harbor with golf balls.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 1

So funny!  Who knew that pancake syrup would strike such a nerve with so many of us?!

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Leon used a ton of Betty Crocker mixes for dessert. Ben knows better. He lives in Florida. I think some of the strange choices are due to using vendors who carry products for American expatriates. Those vendors would probably not stock real maple syrup, but might carry Aunt Jemima and Doritos. The other ridiculous thing is that they are in the Caribbean and could have easily used some tropical fruit to create a slightly more exotic syrup.

I wouldn't even dignify Leon's choices by mentioning them.  I'm sure if Hamburger Helper made a Beef Cheeks flavor, he'd've been using that.  He seemed like a very lazy, resentful guy.  And I was pretty sure that Ben's red velvet cakes or muffins or whatever they were came from a mix, too.  I'd be willing to give him a pass on that one, sort of.  I bake, but I don't also have to crank out food all day long for a literal boatload of people.  The point about making syrups from scratch with local fruits is such a good one, though.  How hard is it to make some simple syrup and flavor it with fruit juice?  Not very.

4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It was really hard to tell but I thought that was someone crouching, looking in a low cabinet. They did seem to be hiding in the next little scene, but again, to me it looked like a crouching adult.

It was.  It was Sierra.  I thought it was a secret child at first, too.  But then I slo-mo'd it and saw her down there laughing.

• Love 3

LOL @Mondrianyone I was just about to post the same thing. Great minds ;)

27 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

So funny!  Who knew that pancake syrup would strike such a nerve with so many of us?

I wonder if Bravo anticipated that, with all the drama the episode, the big what-the-heck moment for many of us was that FANCY BEN USES FAKE SYRUP.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yes! Like everyone else this killed me! I am not a fan and seeing Ben pouring it on reminded me of a sleepover experience as I child. My friend's parents served pancakes, but just before they hit my plate smothered them with pancake syrup. I had to force them down. Why not just serve it on the side, Ben??

• Love 1

@queenjen There was an extended preview on Watch What Happens Live. Kyle mentions that he's bisexual. He says that he hooked with a trans woman "by accident" and found out that he is "a bit partial to it". Then he also reveals that he is dating another trans woman on and off in England currently. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would have sent the pancakes back. First of all, always serve the syrup on the side. Let the diner/guest choose how much or how little syrup they want on their pancakes. Personally, I like mine drowning, but my wife does not. We're the same with cereal: I like mine at least a little soggy, whereas she won't eat it once it reaches that point. Furthermore, we don't eat or drink things that have high fructose corn syrup in them if we can help it. And pancake syrup is one thing where it's totally avoidable. Log Cabin makes a good syrup with no HFCS in it and I personally choose maple syrup whenever I can.

• Love 5

I liked the Ben/Emily date, at least they enjoyed each other's company unlike Kyle & Sierra.

How is it okay for the whole deck crew to get that smashed?  No wonder Captain Lee is pissed at Kelley & his poor management skills.  And Lauren is a whiny, irritable drunk--or at least she was this time.  

Sierra was ridiculous on her date with Kyle, but Kelley needed to mind his own damn business.  Kyle hadn't stopped working or screwed anything up due to Sierra's assholishness, so I don't know why Kelley claimed she was causing problems for the deck crew.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm not sure I liked the idea of golfing into the ocean, however. I wonder if any little sea creatures got his in the head with one of those balls? What if a fish tries to eat one? Yuck. 

Maybe that's why this episode is called, "One Less Fish in the Sea"?  J/K  The golf balls on the Valor, are hopefully, the eco friendly kind.  They dissolve after some time in the water.  But they could definitely put a fish's eyeball out.

More troublesome to me is when the crew and guests, last season, sent a bunch of those stupid paper sky lanterns off into the sky.  Those are horrible for the environment and should be banned, imo.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I currently have store brand Aunt Jemima in my pantry, haha. But I thought on a fancy yacht he'd have something nicer, in a glass jar. I wonder if they have limited options for what they can get while on charter. 

It probably had something to do with a general policy on holding down expenses. Real maple syrup generally costs a lot more than the fake stuff (even a name brand).

15 minutes ago, ryebread said:

The golf balls on the Valor, are hopefully, the eco friendly kind.  They dissolve after some time in the water.  But they could definitely put a fish's eyeball out.

The kind I'm familiar with dissolve after 48 hours and the core is actually fish food, so hopefully they were something similar.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, McManda said:

The kind I'm familiar with dissolve after 48 hours and the core is actually fish food, so hopefully they were something similar.

So I gather hitting golf balls off a boat is "a thing." Who knew? :)

Kelley needs to concentrate on the job, not chase women.   He should take a lesson from Ben; if a woman likes you, fine, but if she's not into you, move on to the next one.   Emily felt comfortable with Ben because he wasn't being so damn needy; it doesn't matter how hot a man is, if he's needy that is a HUGE turn off, at least it is for me.

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Kelley needs to concentrate on the job, not chase women.   He should take a lesson from Ben; if a woman likes you, fine, but if she's not into you, move on to the next one.   Emily felt comfortable with Ben because he wasn't being so damn needy; it doesn't matter how hot a man is, if he's needy that is a HUGE turn off, at least it is for me.

Exactly. I've sent VERY attractive and smart men packing because of excessive neediness. For all the comments about the great guests, I thought Engagement Girl was a total bitch to her man. She reminded me of a cooler version of Anfisa from 90DayFiancee, did you catch her comment about getting a bigger ring? And the one about now she had to plan a wedding? The only nice thing she had to say to her adorable hunky man this episode was an "I love you" at the end, that I noticed. That is on him, he chose the tiny bitchy girl that the fraternity bros would approve of.

Lauren was obnoxiously drunk and I bet she woke up with hella anxiety the next day with the bits and pieces she could remember.  She sure has a banging body though! I bet in a different group she would be the most sought-after woman, these guys on the crew seem to go for girls with a thigh-gap or teeny short ones. Kyle's announcement doesn't shock me at all, men who identify as straight are often much more fluid than society's paradigm would lead you to expect.  I appreciate his openness.

• Love 1

I'm going to give Sierra a pass.  Probably because I think Kyle is creepy AF, but also because:

She was doing her due diligence and getting to know him better by going for the walk to the cash transfer place.  Agreed to go fishing, in her words, as "two mature adults trying to get to know each other."  She was uncomfortable going on the fishing trip alone but she went anyway.  Even after Kate had an 'intervention' and told Sierra that she had "to give Kyle a chance", Sierra was still somewhat resistant. I felt like Sierra was being pushed. 

I don't think the pushing stopped once she got on the fishing boat as evidenced by Kyle trying to sit on her/with her on the single fishing chair.  She said it made her uncomfortable that he was so persistent and adamant.  And then you can see him baiting her about baiting the hook.  By that point, it looked, to me like she'd had enough. 

Who knows how jerky he was being on that boat? The only place to escape him and his advances, was to go up on the flybridge.  So he follows her there.  Perhaps the only way to finally and completely shut him down after he showed his pushy self, was to say she had someone back home.  

BTDT.  Out with someone wanting to get to know them better and them becoming pushy/overbearing.  When young, I might've reacted exactly as Sierra did.  Nice at first, accommodating to the point of becoming uncomfortable and then making something up or just fleeing.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

Maybe that's why this episode is called, "One Less Fish in the Sea"?  J/K  The golf balls on the Valor, are hopefully, the eco friendly kind.  They dissolve after some time in the water.  But they could definitely put a fish's eyeball out.

Oh okay, I've never heard of that kind. I hope that's what they were using. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ketose said:

You know, the ship could go down with all crew lost and it wouldn't bother me this week.

'Twould be a shame to lose such a nice ship.

3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Oh okay, I've never heard of that kind. I hope that's what they were using. 

I knew about the water soluble kind but until @McManda mentioned the ones with fish food in the middle, I had no idea.  Just now, I went online to price them for a Christmas gift for a lake side friend. Yikes.  $15/dozen.  

Regular balls at a driving range are 10 cents each.  Or a whole bucket (130) for 10 bucks.  You can go through all those in under an hour.  I guess if you can afford a cruise on the Valor, you can afford a couple dozen bio balls.

25 minutes ago, ryebread said:

I don't think the pushing stopped once she got on the fishing boat as evidenced by Kyle trying to sit on her/with her on the single fishing chair.  She said it made her uncomfortable that he was so persistent and adamant.  And then you can see him baiting her about baiting the hook.  By that point, it looked, to me like she'd had enough. 

Yeah, he was being awfully pushy.

• Love 2

I think if she had been straightforward and just told him she wasn't into him he would have been like "that's cool" and backed off.  After the boat trip he was upset over how she treated him, but not over the fact that she didn't like him.  I don't blame him for being annoyed that she wasted his time and money, she knew before getting on the boat that she wasn't into him.  She knew as soon as he said he had a kid.  It was obvious that the fishing trip was a date, not just two adult coworkers getting to know each other, and I don't think it is unexpected for Kyle to try to flirt on a date. Kelley acted like a weirdo dick after the failed date, but Kyle was just like "I liked you, it is obvious now that you don't like me.  Fine.  It's done."  

• Love 11
7 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I think Ben and Emily are for the camera. I didn't see any chemistry between them. But they enjoyed their dinner away from crew madness and had some interesting conversation.

IA.  Their date looked extremely awkward to me up to and including where he asked her for a little kiss and she said no.  I think Ben needs a woman who's  more mature and worldly.  Emily is just too young and inexperienced for someone like Ben who seems complicated, sensitive and has issues.

3 hours ago, OnceSane said:

How is it okay for the whole deck crew to get that smashed?  No wonder Captain Lee is pissed at Kelley & his poor management skills.  And Lauren is a whiny, irritable drunk--or at least she was this time.  

Right.  They're going to get they're asses chewed by Capt Lee next week and rightfully so.  Getting that smashed on the boat, dropping food on the floors and leaving panini grills on to overheat is very uncool.

To me Kyle looked like he wanted to skip over the pesky "getting to know you" stuff with Sierra and get right to the naked gymnastics.  She was turned off by that and reacted by withdrawing into her phone.  She could have handled it better but Kyle was being a douche imo.  None of the men on this boat except maybe (maybe) Ben have any game to speak of.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

After the boat trip he was upset over how she treated him, but not over the fact that she didn't like him.  I don't blame him for being annoyed that she wasted his time and money, she knew before getting on the boat that she wasn't into him.  She knew as soon as he said he had a kid.  It was obvious that the fishing trip was a date, not just two adult coworkers getting to know each other, and I don't think it is unexpected for Kyle to try to flirt on a date.

So if he was pushy and forward on the fishing trip, enough to make her visibly uncomfortable, how should she have treated him?  All she did was try to escape him.

Sure we can say she should've never gone in the first place but Sierra isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.  In addition, it felt like she was pushed (by her chief stew) into following through on the fishing date but was too stupid/nice/chicken to back out.  That's what Sierra did wrong.

I do appreciate that Kyle was able to move past.  But if Sierra should have been upfront about not being into him, maybe he should have dropped the bomb about him being bi-sexual.  What if he would have had his way on the fishing boat and got Sierra "fucking levered".  And soon afterwards informed her he was bi. 

Maybe Sierra is smarter than I give her credit for.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

I'm going to give Sierra a pass.  Probably because I think Kyle is creepy AF, but also because:

She was doing her due diligence and getting to know him better by going for the walk to the cash transfer place.  Agreed to go fishing, in her words, as "two mature adults trying to get to know each other."  She was uncomfortable going on the fishing trip alone but she went anyway.  Even after Kate had an 'intervention' and told Sierra that she had "to give Kyle a chance", Sierra was still somewhat resistant. I felt like Sierra was being pushed. 

Who knows how jerky he was being on that boat? The only place to escape him and his advances, was to go up on the flybridge.  So he follows her there.  Perhaps the only way to finally and completely shut him down after he showed his pushy self, was to say she had someone back home.  

BTDT.  Out with someone wanting to get to know them better and them becoming pushy/overbearing.  When young, I might've reacted exactly as Sierra did.  Nice at first, accommodating to the point of becoming uncomfortable and then making something up or just fleeing.

I agree with this but what is a BTDT?

• Love 2

I think Sierra definitely acted really immature on the date. She really just should have not even agreed to go, or made it into a group thing if she wasn't actually interested in him. (They could have downgraded to getting some coffee together on the island or something - less pressure and not stuck with each other for hours on a boat with no escape.) If I'm not interested in a guy romantically and not interested in the activity of fishing, I would not have accepted such a proposal. That said, although I think she totally mishandled the whole thing, I can understand that it was most likely coming from a place of immaturity rather than real harm.

Kelley on the other handed really needed to mind his own business. It's not that I don't agree that Kyle wasn't somewhat wronged, it's just that Kyle handled it just fine himself and I feel like Kelley was overly aggressive about it. I've had experience with guys who are pushy and use a demanding tone when talking about what one should or shouldn't have done and it's never led to anything good later on. I think he really did cause additional drama. And his bosun performance has been less than stellar, so I'm not surprised about Nico being named replacement in the previews. 

I liked that Nico at least kept his head on his shoulders re: the toaster and seems to be generally good-natured.

Ben & Emily seemed a bit forced to me. Of course, not every dinner date is going to end in some super romantic connection and I'd feel awkward regardless with cameras following my every move. 

• Love 7