Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Intervention

• Start Topic

That screenshot of Donna, Kelly and Andrea is about the most judgemental thing I have ever seen. More judgemental than a roomful of Supreme Court judges. I think this is the exact moment I became Team Dylan and hoped he would stay a junkie forever just to spite those harpies.

• Love 3

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but what a hoot that Felice turned out to be right about Ray. So was Clare, and I guess Kelly too, but that doesn't count because what is that saying about a broken clock being right twice a day? Hard to believe this show went to the painstaking effort of trying to make us think Ray isn't terrible, just to then show us "No, Ray is terrible." And I feel like we all love Val so much that it took Ray actually pushing Donna down a flight of stairs before we were like "okay fine. Poor Donna."

• Love 1

I just want to take a moment to appreciate how this show (meaning BH 90210, not the podcast) expanded my English vocabulary. I learned the words "date rape" and "intervention" and "squash it" by watching. I should have watched and listened more carefully and learned "squeef" as well, but well, better late than never, right?!

• Love 1

I always thought that the intervention was such a bad idea because they were all so judgmental. I think if Cindy had just talked to Dylan alone and suggested rehab he would've been more open to all of it. I think she could have gotten through to him. If I had walked into a room of people looking at me like that I would immediately decided to keep doing what I was doing just to spite them.

• Love 2

What was the point of Kelly, Donna, and Andrea in that intervention? I mean I get David who in this case actually learned from his mistake and seems to not be judgemental compared to the rest, and Brandon found him like that but the rest of the group? Why?

Also Andrea no one cares about Hannah. 

Also is it me or does Donna in the intervention looks like a fuzzy yellow duck? 

I guess Dr. Martin wanted some excitement in his life, so he watched the full tape? So basically Dr. Martin watched his daughter's ex-boyfriend doing it with his daughter's roommate and wasn't fazed. Okay then? 

• Love 6

I think regarding Dylan getting some free drugs was to use it as a sample to get him hooked, so he would keep on coming back. You sell it steep then the person might say no and never come back costing you money. I guess that's how it worked.

Edited by SoupThrower
1 hour ago, fireice13 said:

I always thought that the intervention was such a bad idea because they were all so judgmental. I think if Cindy had just talked to Dylan alone and suggested rehab he would've been more open to all of it. I think she could have gotten through to him. If I had walked into a room of people looking at me like that I would immediately decided to keep doing what I was doing just to spite them.

I think you might be right about Cindy as she didn't have the bad relationship with him that a lot of the others didn't have.

I remember this episode very well.  The Visual Aid comments made me laugh my ass off.  Thank you for that. :)

David being there makes perfect sense.  Not only as an ex-addict but he owed Dylan for bailing his ass out with the magic toilet.

• Love 4

Maybe I'm just geezed up on cold medicine, but at first I thought that was Shelley Duvall in the key art. I thought I was going to have to go watch the episode for once.

Thank you for that laugh on Monday!

I used to think Luke Perry and Jason Priestley were so hot (shut up), but I'm so completely disgusted by Luke Perry's half-off socks (did he trip over both feet and land on the couch?) in that odd wicker trash bin picture that I can't believe I ever thought he was cute. Socks are the devil's footwear.

3 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Anyone else having issues with this not showing up in iTunes podcast feed?

I had to manually download it from the iTunes store. None of my iTunes podcast subscriptions have been working for a few days now.

I watched this season when it originally aired but never watched it in any of the reruns on Soapnet - I always stopped when Brenda left - so there are only two things I remember about this season at all.  One - the whole Kelly gets burned and joins a cult story line.  

The second thing?  Donna's fuzzy sweater in the intervention scene.  Did she kill a Muppet for that thing?  It's truly awful.

I was coming here to see if anyone else noted how Mad Men-esque Steve's rant was. I had graduated from college by 1994, and I don't think any 19-20 y o guy would shout "the bottle you're trying to crawl out of, PAL!" I mean, what in the what now? I wouldn't even say that NOW in my 40s, let alone when I was barely out of my teens.

I freaking love Cindy. I always liked her scenes with Dylan. And I do wish they would have kept her around, kind of like they do later in the series with Jackie, Mel, Rush and the other parents. Have her and Jimbo divorce (he and his chest hair can stay in Hong Kong forever), finish her masters and become a therapist or something and live in a condo in BH. Or you know you're an old when you'd rather watch the parents interact than the fucking insufferable kids.

Finally, the award for Best Drunk in the Spelling Ouevre has got to be Allison Parker, hands down. Nothing compares to her drunken antics on Melrose Place. Sorry, Luke Perry! 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Klaw said:

I freaking love Cindy. I always liked her scenes with Dylan. And I do wish they would have kept her around, kind of like they do later in the series with Jackie, Mel, Rush and the other parents. Have her and Jimbo divorce (he and his chest hair can stay in Hong Kong forever), finish her masters and become a therapist or something and live in a condo in BH. Or you know you're an old when you'd rather watch the parents interact than the fucking insufferable kids.

I would've loved a spinoff with Cindy, Jackie, Samantha Sanders, and Felice. 

Edited by Ions Earring
  • Love 9

I think of aspic as something you'd serve if you were a 1960s or 70s housewife and wanted to impress the neighbors with how fancy you were. I suppose if the Martins are supposed to be super thirsty nouveaux riches it might work, but it's the kind of thing you'd serve if you were really insecure about your social status. And it was 1971. Weird choice, Felice.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, maxineofarc said:

I think of aspic as something you'd serve if you were a 1960s or 70s housewife and wanted to impress the neighbors with how fancy you were. I suppose if the Martins are supposed to be super thirsty nouveaux riches it might work, but it's the kind of thing you'd serve if you were really insecure about your social status. And it was 1971. Weird choice, Felice.

100% yes! I think the aspic craze goes back to a James Beard recipe from the mid '60s. This is totally a case of the middle-aged writers thinking about what was "fancy" when they were that age, instead of looking around at what was actually happening in LA in 1994. I will say that a quick search of the archive just now makes it look like Gourmet magazine made a lazy attempt to bring aspic back in the '90s. But that's not where the person who wrote "geezed up on coke" was getting his information.

• Love 1

Just did a google image search for aspic. Wow. I can't believe anyone, especially a snob like Felice, would serve that in 1994/1995. 

5 hours ago, Klaw said:

Finally, the award for Best Drunk in the Spelling Ouevre has got to be Allison Parker, hands down. Nothing compares to her drunken antics on Melrose Place. Sorry, Luke Perry! 

I know she wasn't an alcoholic, but I gotta go with Brooke (Kristin Davis), drinking because she was distraught over losing Billy (gross) and then drowning in the Melrose Place pool.

• Love 2

I didn't think the intervention was helpful, but isn't the idea that someone is so far gone that you have to organize a special event to get them help, kind of judgmental per se?  I mean, it's not like you have an intervention for someone if you believe their life is on a good path.  I always viewed it as the desperate, last ditch appeal to the person before they ended up in jail, dead and/or on Dancing with the Stars.  

I guess Dr. Martin wanted some excitement in his life, so he watched the full tape? So basically Dr. Martin watched his daughter's ex-boyfriend doing it with his daughter's roommate and wasn't fazed. Okay then? 

I think Dr. Martin watched enough of the tape to know what it was, but didn't watch the whole thing.  Or at least I can't bring myself to imagine Dr. Martin sitting through David's sex tape. 

• Love 1

I've never heard of aspic before this conversation (I tend to zone out during Donna scenes when I watch).  I assume it's pronounced how it looks which is Ass-pick?  It certainly suits those pictures that come up during a search.  Yuck.

7 hours ago, Stowaway said:

100% yes! I think the aspic craze goes back to a James Beard recipe from the mid '60s. This is totally a case of the middle-aged writers thinking about what was "fancy" when they were that age, instead of looking around at what was actually happening in LA in 1994. I will say that a quick search of the archive just now makes it look like Gourmet magazine made a lazy attempt to bring aspic back in the '90s. But that's not where the person who wrote "geezed up on coke" was getting his information.

My best friend's mom made tomato aspic at Thanksgiving one year when we were teenagers and she got so mad when friend and her brother kept calling it "ass pick," and refusing to eat it. I'm sure she saw it in a magazine. 

I really enjoyed Dr. Martin saying he doesn't care for aspic and being nice to Ray. Too bad he and Cindy Walsh never ditched their spouses and ran off together. Both deserved better. 

• Love 4
  20 hours ago, Klaw said:

I would've loved a spinoff with Cindy, Jackie, Samantha Sanders, and Felice. 

For all this show's many many faults, they were great at casting the parents. Some of the best character actors in the business, and they even looked like the actors that were playing their offspring.

• Love 3

So Kelly feels "humiliated" that Dylan did bodyshots off a "glorified hooker", who was actually just a woman he met at the bar, don't see why she has to slut shame her. After they had been broken up for months after several months of having a very dysfunctional relationship in which she cheated on him with his best friend, who also happened to be the brother of her supposed best friend, who also happened to be Dylan's very significant ex. What a snooty, self-important hypocrite. And we are supposed to consider her the heroine of this show. Pffft. Remember later on when he actually finds a real girlfriend and asks her to marry him and Kelly gets all shitty because he didn't tell her first and instead told everyone at once? Issues, man.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

Remember later on when he actually finds a real girlfriend and asks her to marry him and Kelly gets all shitty because he didn't tell her first and instead told everyone at once? Issues, man.

Issues indeed. I used to somewhat empathize with Kelly on this, but as an adult, I saw a (now former) friend get weirdly angry when her "back-up plan" got married to someone else. I get the Kelly-hate now.

• Love 3

For all this show's many many faults, they were great at casting the parents. Some of the best character actors in the business, and they even looked like the actors that were playing their offspring.

ITA - I think it's because the parents were all pros and grown ups. I loved all the parents, acting wise (yes, even annoying Jim) - he had the same antiquated attitudes of a lot of Boomer men about women, it's like they couldn't help themselves - all that 50s era bullshit they grew up with just came out.

• Love 2

This is totally a case of the middle-aged writers thinking about what was "fancy" when they were that age, instead of looking around at what was actually happening in LA in 1994.

Any ideas what a totally "fancy" - but disgusting - dish would have been served in LA in 1994 if not aspic? Anyone? I was living in LA in 1994 and as I was broke, I have no idea  what the hoi polloi would've been eating... I only remember hearing about aspic when Carrie met the Russian  for their first date and referred to it as "meat Jell-O" ... *shudder* 

2 hours ago, Klaw said:

Any ideas what a totally "fancy" - but disgusting - dish would have been served in LA in 1994 if not aspic?

I had one truly rich friend in college, and my memory of the kind of stuff her parents served was fish baked in parchment with a cheese-plus-vegetable risotto. And it was the mid 90s, so sun-dried tomatoes and portobello mushrooms everywhere.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Klaw said:

Any ideas what a totally "fancy" - but disgusting - dish would have been served in LA in 1994 if not aspic? Anyone? I was living in LA in 1994 and as I was broke, I have no idea  what the hoi polloi would've been eating... I only remember hearing about aspic when Carrie met the Russian  for their first date and referred to it as "meat Jell-O" ... *shudder* 

Caviar? Timeless rich people food but it's easy enough for someone to be grossed out at the thought of eating fish eggs. Oysters would also work.

Not much to say except this was another slam dunk podcast. V witty. 

I don't know from the vibe of it or just forum if many people have experience w them in RL but interventions are always a train wreck and usually poorly received . I think most people who go to rehab / or some form have to go multiple x.  I mean the crux of the matter is telling someone they can't manage themself or their mindset is faulty.

Even if someone is caught up in an addiction or mental disorder or chemical imbalance, even with the consideration of that, than no one likes hearing they're faulty or brains fucked up or feelings (which seem sup real to them) aren't legit or reasonable. 

Kelly's modeling. This story doesn't make sense. She didn't look like a model esp in the 90's when models where super model-y looking chiseled sex pots (I think back to the house of style episodes that aired then) . Magazines don't just contact random women who's pic they seen off hand for covers desperately. She was a total b and they were begging her. And she had a choice in the matter so why all the bullshit. Wasn't an episode ago she made up some crap about thinking she's ugly to guilt trip her mom? Now she's on a bitch tear cuz strangers and her parent think she's model material. Pick a lane

• Love 3

And it was the mid 90s, so sun-dried tomatoes and portobello mushrooms everywhere.

Oh God, now it's coming back to me. I still don't get the portobello mushroom thing. 

Kelly's modeling. This story doesn't make sense. She didn't look like a model esp in the 90's when models where super model-y looking chiseled sex pots (I think back to the house of style episodes that aired then) .

Amen. Wasn't this around the time that Kate Moss was the shizz? No way Kelly had that "waif/heroin chic" look. She is so not a model - and I don't mean that as criticism, but it was just asking for us to suspend way too much disbelief. Similar to the Donna as Tootsie shoot in Paris. And why WHY? did the writers think making the characters reluctant for something (Brandon running for student body office, Kelly as model...) made them more likeable or sympathetic? If anything, it made them more insufferable. You're telling me a 20 year old college sophomore would turn down a shoot with Seventeen magazine? Girl, miss me with that Bullshit (or, if you were in fact the type of girl to turn it down, then you would've, y'know, turned it down - what's with the griping?)

• Love 3
On 05/10/2016 at 1:13 PM, txhorns79 said:

I didn't think the intervention was helpful, but isn't the idea that someone is so far gone that you have to organize a special event to get them help, kind of judgmental per se?  I mean, it's not like you have an intervention for someone if you believe their life is on a good path.  I always viewed it as the desperate, last ditch appeal to the person before they ended up in jail, dead and/or on Dancing with the Stars.  

I think Dr. Martin watched enough of the tape to know what it was, but didn't watch the whole thing.  Or at least I can't bring myself to imagine Dr. Martin sitting through David's sex tape. 

Considering he has to live with aspic and Felice. That was probably his escape.

• Love 2

I mean I can understand Kelly doing it because she's forced into it by Jackie (More important than college? Calm down Jackie) but if you don't want to do it then tell her and stick by it even after the meeting. But Kelly seems like she's easily suggestible, I mean she does join a cult. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Klaw said:

Oh God, now it's coming back to me. I still don't get the portobello mushroom thing. 

I love portobello mushrooms but the idea that they are good substitute for meat in a burger is insanity. Sure if you're throwing a barbecue and have some vegetarian guests, it's an easy way to feed them. But lets not pretend there is more to a mushroom burger than that. I remember first seeing them on a cookery show in the early/mid-90s and the chef was waxing lyrical about how she often makes them as a snack for her teenage son and his friends and how much they love them and think they are better than real burgers. I was agog at what could only be a blatant lie. (That said, the same show was my first introduction to basil pesto, which I also thought was a hilariously ludicrous concept. We can all be wrong sometimes.)

• Love 1