Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Coral Palms, Pt. 3

• Start Topic

The team makes a road trip to Florida to try to help Jake and Holt take down Figgis. With an unforeseen injury and yet another interruption by Sheriff Reynolds, the plan doesn’t follow through quite like they all had hoped. In the midst of the chaos, Jake and Amy share an awkward reunion

Awesome seeing the gang back together and working as a team!

Jake being grossed out by Holt's wound was hilarious.

Jake and Amy continue to be my favorite fictional couple right now.

Charles' "Oh my god everyone: Jake and Amy are gonna kiss for the first time in 6 months! Let those Nicholas sparks fly!" is my favorite line of the episode.

Charles and Terry's rivalry over who's a better parent was great.

Rosa's "child" voice!

Loved Gina's faking Italian.

Eric Roberts was a great choice to play Figgis.

Dammit Jerry! Again!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

Young Jeezy take the wheel! Killed me, don't know why.

I was disappointed that Figgis didn't get a grander entrance and/or exit, and he wasn't all that menacing. Eh.

Loved Holt talking Peralta through Holt's minor surgery.

Now, adios weird Juggalo encampment! Back to Brooklyn.

I loved the Charles/Terry bit.  Of course, Charles would be the type of parent who had researched the "best" way of doing everything and would not-so-subtly look down on all other (maybe more experienced) parents.  

But I'm also wondering about this whole Florida story line.  You get Rhea Perlman and she basically has just two lines?    I really thought she'd, somehow, be tied into the Figgis thing.  Oh well.  

Did this happen in anyone else's house or just mine?  Every time anyone on the show said "Figgis" my husband immediately said "Cyril. Figgis." in the same tone of voice Cyril uses in the pilot episode of Archer where Archer is using his voice to break into ISIS.  My husband only pays attention to a handful of shows and those happen to be two of them.  

• Love 4

This whole episode was great, but instead of focusing on the hilarius jokes or how great it is that the whole team is back together, allow me to flail around like a demented fangirl over how much I love Jake and Amy *OMG JAKE AND AMY ARE SO GRRRRRREAT YOU GUYS OMG!!!* who are one of my favorite TV couples right now. 

I love how even Figgus thinks that Florida is the worst. 

• Love 2

Yep.  There were so many Florida putdowns that I'll probably have to watch a second (or third) time to catch them all.  The cold opening was filled with them. My favorite was when the anchor said they were broadcasting from the "tri-swamp" area.  I also loved the recurring joke about Gina's ability to literally pick up a gun anytime and anywhere in Florida, even at a kid's arcade.  That was funny, but, oh so sad.

• Love 10

The fake newscast had me on the floor. "Imagine going through a drive-thru and having your order given to you by a puppy!" You know what's sad? That could actually be a real local newscast. The inane crap you see on the news these days isn't that far off from parody.

Rosa's little girl voice was hysterical too. Assuming that was really Stephanie Beatriz's voice, she continues to impress.

I did enjoy the goodbye message from Terry to his kids but I'm already tired of hearing Charles talk about his adopted kid. I get that that's the joke - he annoys everyone by talking about his kid all the time - but I'm just as annoyed by it as the characters are (presumably) supposed to be.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the setup to get Figgis to Fun Zone, that seemed honest and smart, but the actual confrontation felt a bit flat to me. It never felt like there were big stakes at play when he showed up, and Rosa's payoff only lasted a half minute or so, though with a truly excellent joke utilizing the absent Pimento's character. Terry plays dad to the crew was great too, but really eschewed the "You can't go to Florida" ending of last week's episode which was earned.

I'm focusing too much on the negative here. I still love the show and the characters. And I give it credit for taking the risk that it did here, but it felt like the highs of the Figgis Serialization were last season with Dennis Haysbert

• Love 3
6 hours ago, lefawn said:

But I'm also wondering about this whole Florida story line.  You get Rhea Perlman and she basically has just two lines?    I really thought she'd, somehow, be tied into the Figgis thing.  Oh well.  

I thought the same thing. So weird that Perlman was used so little. I was disappointed in Eric Roberts being Figgis. 

1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

I enjoyed the setup to get Figgis to Fun Zone, that seemed honest and smart, but the actual confrontation felt a bit flat to me. It never felt like there were big stakes at play when he showed up,

ITA. First off, the reveal of Roberts being Figgis was strange. For a minute I thought we must have seen him before because it was so ordinary. Seems like the writers wanting us to wonder who Figgis was, but then he was just there. As far as the whole Fun Zone sequence, I liked how the 99 worked together to get each of the goons, but Figgis just wasn't very threatening. I'm not sure what could have been done differently since this is a comedy. 

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love how even Figgus thinks that Florida is the worst. 

Yes, that was good, though I don't think Roberts sold the line very well.

Aside from all the Figgis stuff, this was fun. I love how composed and unconcerned Holt seemed about getting impaled by the iron rod. And then having to comfort and encourage Jake while Holt stitched himself up was fantastic. Jake yelling, "Oh my GOD!" each time he looked at the rod cracked me up, particularly Andy's face.

"Boost my bottom!" was hilarious. I loved that whole little scene.

The opening newscast was great. 

• Love 2

Tetanus is all I have been able to think about since the impaling.

Also, I want to get a glimpse of the 84 (that's the squad who Terry said offered to cover for them, right?)-- I suppose it would be expensive to cast and develop them, but this show is so good at paying off what initially seem like throwaway comments, and so far everyone else we've seen in the public safety system have been basically enemies (from firefighters to Wuntch to The Vulture to the other cops who shared the 99 office-- blew their bodily sloughings into Rosa's keyboard, took over Holt's office, etc)-- it would be interesting to know about the other squad that was willing to cover for the 99 to go to Florida, and how they were convinced to do it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Seems like the writers wanting us to wonder who Figgis was

It's interesting how reactions differ. I never got the impression that Figgis's identity was supposed to be any big mystery; he was just the kingpin of this whole plot and eventually we would presumably see him. It seemed to be more the discussion in this and other forums wanting it to be a big piece of suspense and an exciting twist when revealed.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

It's interesting how reactions differ. I never got the impression that Figgis's identity was supposed to be any big mystery; he was just the kingpin of this whole plot and eventually we would presumably see him. It seemed to be more the discussion in this and other forums wanting it to be a big piece of suspense and an exciting twist when revealed.

I agree. People had met him we just hadn't. They never once suggested that Pimento and others in the NYPD didn't know exactly who he was it was just that he had so many people in his pocket they couldn't make a case on him.

The reason they used a modulated voice on the phone in the finale was because they hadn't cast anyone yet and the knew a segment of fans would try and figure out his voice if it wasn't distorted. I think that's why they didn't have him modulate his voice last week because Eric Roberts has a distinctive enough voice that some fans, myself included, were able to guess even if we hadnt read the casting news.

Edited by biakbiak

I have to assume he is since he's transferring everyone to night shift, but what does that mean for Holt?

I guess he might be on disability because of his gaping leg wound.

Well, Jake wasn't there either when they got back, so I'm assuming both he and Holt would have to go through some kind of de-briefing process after having been in witness protection for the past six months. I'm sure Holt will eventually resume his position as captain but I'm not really sure how it works in the real world. Which this show is so far removed from.

10 hours ago, lefawn said:

I was CONVINCED Rhea Pearlman was going to be Figgis's mother, because I couldn't fathom that she would agree to be a guest star and have such a limited role that wasn't that memorable and didn't factor into the main plot.     

"I wore this to Swampsgiving and cleaned up!" legit made me laugh out loud.  And it was a quick moment, but Rosa's "oof, poor Jake" after Amy said her fun fact about Virginia cracked me up. 

The "Boost my bottom!" scene made me want to hand Andre Braugher the Emmy right now. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I was CONVINCED Rhea Pearlman was going to be Figgis's mother, because I couldn't fathom that she would agree to be a guest star and have such a limited role that wasn't that memorable and didn't factor into the main plot.

Maybe that was their nefarious plan! -- a clever ploy to lead viewers to jump to the wrong conclusion!!

Seriously, I just figure that Rhea Perlman is a working actress who's glad to get work. Just like everyone else in the biz. It's an uncertain life.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

Maybe that was their nefarious plan! -- a clever ploy to lead viewers to jump to the wrong conclusion!!

Seriously, I just figure that Rhea Perlman is a working actress who's glad to get work. Just like everyone else in the biz. It's an uncertain life.

Maybe they will do a crossover with The Mindy Project and it will turn out she was just visiting friends and she returned to Staten Islan and they run into each other.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

The "Boost my bottom!" scene made me want to hand Andre Braugher the Emmy right now. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. 

I seriously lost it during that scene so perfect. I also loved how calm he was after they jumped the fence and impaling his leg. And then having to keep Jake calm, classic Holt!

Oh and the fake Axe body spray exhange!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

That, and I can't figure out how he was only impaled on the top of his leg. He landed on his back, so the bar would have gone through his leg from the back to the front. But everything after that -- him sitting on a chair, pulling the bar out & sewing -- makes it look like the only wound is the top of his thigh.

I know, I know: sitcom reasons.

• Love 2

The gang finally reunites!  That was good to see.  Especially Jake and Amy's awkwardness over being separated for so long.  I'm glad they seem to be back in sync now, even if I suspect Amy will never get over finding out Jake kissed Holt.  It was all part of the job, Amy!  Kind of...

The Nine-Nine setting up a trap for Figgis and his men at Fun Zone was a good idea, but I kind of felt like they didn't take advantage of it enough, outside of Rosa awesomely popping out the ballpool, and taking a guy out.  Overall, a pretty easy win, although I guess I'm not expecting any kind of legit suspense on this show, about our heroes being put in harms way.

Rosa was actually my favorite in this episode, especially with her reading Pimento's letter to Figgis and the kid's voice during the ruse.  Stephanie Beatriz really is great at voices.

Gina having to take care of a wounded Holt was entertaining.  And, naturally, they would come in to save the day.

Terry's lullaby was the greatest.  Sorry, Boyle.

Since neither Jake or Holt were at the end, I guess they're getting debriefed now or whatever, and now the 9-9 has to deal with CJ/Ken Marino making them do the Night Shift instead.  I'm sure it will be temporary, but this could be fun for a few episodes.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Yeah, I was wondering how much my expectations were fueled by this forum and if I would have had a different reaction had I never been online. But maybe the modulated voice on the phone led me that way. Sometimes I'm too aware of looking for misdirection in shows and trying to figure out where things are going rather than just take it as it's presented.

Oh, and I thought Rhea Perlman was going to be Figgis. I still think she's too big a name and face to have such an inconsequential part.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Gina having to take care of a wounded Holt was entertaining.  

OMG, I forgot about one of my favorite scenes. When Holt climbed on top of Gina's back and they slowly sank to the floor, I laughed and laughed.

• Love 1
  17 hours ago, possibilities said:

That, and I can't figure out how he was only impaled on the top of his leg. He landed on his back, so the bar would have gone through his leg from the back to the front. But everything after that -- him sitting on a chair, pulling the bar out & sewing -- makes it look like the only wound is the top of his thigh.

I know, I know: sitcom reasons.

it also occurred to me that he'd need stitches on the other side of the leg too.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Terry's lullaby was the greatest.  Sorry, Boyle.

Boyle yelling "Ligo! Ligo! Ligo!" as the "native Lativian" lullaby made me laugh out loud, but then, Terry's "Go to sleep, Daddy's dead, but his ghost's always watching" took it to the next level. 

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

OMG, I forgot about one of my favorite scenes. When Holt climbed on top of Gina's back and they slowly sank to the floor, I laughed and laughed.

That was yet another laugh out loud moment for me, because I was thinking, "Come on, she can't carry him." And then down they went. Hilarious!

I kind of feel like Rhea Perlman's cameo was it. It was kind of a nice slight of hand for me. Like on Law & Order you can always spot who the killer will be because it's a famous name. But here you think Ms. Perlman's going to have a more significant part and then she doesn't. (And now that I've said that she'll show up in Brooklyn and be the next bad guy they have to take down.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks for reminding me about that.  I think I laughed more at that scene than the very funny "Boost my bottom!" and wound sewing scenes.  Great episode!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

The casting on this show has always been amazing. For whatever reason ( good atmosphere, connections, wanting to work with the regular cast, liking the writing, etc.) it seems that they have no problem getting established performers to come on.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2016 at 4:02 PM, saoirse said:

I know, right!?!?! I just kept thinking, 'Pour some alcohol or SOMETHING on that, Holt!'

He didn't even clean it!

Maybe that's how they roll in the tri-swamp area.

• Love 2